The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

JCE

Car(s)
2016 Dodge Charger RT / 2015 Jeep Renegade
Model X voted as the least reliable car of 2018 by CR.... :rofl:

INB4 "but they're a startup!!!!1111" comments...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*edit*

Though CR is a shit-show snotrag of an organization. Still, I found it humorous.

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
Elon Musk to throw a Trumpian fit of rage on Twitter against CR in 3...2....

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
As much fun as it is to rag on Tesla, can I point out how ridiculous it is to have a reliability ranking for 2018 in 2017? I guess it's easier to tell that a car is unreliable than reliable...

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
I agree. They say they base the new model year on previous model year performances, but that is lame. It puts a year-long delay on their findings on any incremental improvements made to models over time...which do happen.

JCE

Car(s)

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
Perfect. I've been preaching about hydrogen for at least a decade. Glad to see someone actually grow some balls and do something useful. Kudos to these amazing Dutch. I'd get in to my love for Hydrogen more but that's way off-topic here.

So yea, fuck Tesla, rabble rabble. :lol:
Honda, Toyota and Hyundai been working on it as well. Biggest problem with H is that like battery it is essentially energy storage but it is much less efficient in that regard.

GRtak

Forum Addict
GM made the first fuel cell vehicles back in the 60s. A couple of them are even on the moon. ;)

JCE

Car(s)
Honda, Toyota and Hyundai been working on it as well. Biggest problem with H is that like battery it is essentially energy storage but it is much less efficient in that regard.
I know they have and good on them. Ideally the goal should be to generate it yourself in the vehicle but I'll settle what what these Dutch did while we wait the decades for single vehicle generation.

Cellos88GT

DONOR
Car(s)
2 Fox Mustangs and a '00 VFR
Sadly, the "article" does not contain any additional information about how they actually did it. It just put more words around the fact that was already apparent from the name of the link.
They installed a fuel cell, I'm not sure it requires anymore explanation than that?

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
I know they have and good on them. Ideally the goal should be to generate it yourself in the vehicle but I'll settle what what these Dutch did while we wait the decades for single vehicle generation.
How would you generate it though? You would need a power source :p

JCE

Car(s)
How would you generate it though? You would need a power source :p
Electrolysis. No idea the science behind it but that's one way. I'll assume by the time we figure that out you could have a roof of solar panels to generate the needed power to store in the batteries. But I'm not a scientist or electrical engineer so this may be an ignorant idea. ;)

CD82

Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
They installed a fuel cell, I'm not sure it requires anymore explanation than that?
The text states that it was a difficult job, but no further explanation for that is given. Where was it installed? In which way is it working together with the battery? Which of the two resources is used primarily? What kind of software hackery was necessary to convince the car to accept the new power source? Do they actually charge the battery from the fuel cell or is its energy sent directly to the engines? Does regenerative braking still work?

Next up: Company manages to cure every illness ever. Difficult but doable. The end.

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'16 VW The Beetle Cabrio
Electrolysis. No idea the science behind it but that's one way. I'll assume by the time we figure that out you could have a roof of solar panels to generate the needed power to store in the batteries. But I'm not a scientist or electrical engineer so this may be an ignorant idea. ;)
Much more efficient to just charge batteries from your rooftop solar cells... They won't make enough power to give you significant range though, more like "run the ac at full blast in the summer sun".

What would be feasible is to have your house store the energy from its rooftop panels as hydrogen, but also at an efficiency penalty compared to a battery in your basement.

Last edited:

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Yeah you basically need a power source to do it and if you have a power source capable of that you might as well power your car with it :)