The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

So this happens later today. Waste of a decent Roadster if you ask me.

It would have been better to launch something useful into space with this test, but Elon's roadster was likely much cheaper than any sort of research satellite they could have launched, no?

That said...I can't deny how striking the videos are of the open-top car in space. o_O

:rolleyes:

NecroJoe;n3545584 said:
It would have been better to launch something useful into space with this test, but Elon's roadster was likely much cheaper than any sort of research satellite they could have launched, no?

That said...I can't deny how striking the videos are of the open-top car in space. o_O

They usually just use a big chunk of steel for test ballast, this way Musk gets free advertising for Tesla.

I see it as a waste of a decent car, but calling it trash it a bit harsh.

Even if someone hated Tesla and Elon with all of their being, I mean...they butt-first landed two rockets the height of the Statue of Liberty, side-by-side and simultaneously (rockets that have already BEEN to space, mind you), and shot an open-top red convertible towards Mars with nods to Hitchhikers's Guide to the Galaxy and David Bowie...maybe I'm nothing more than a 11-year-old boy, but all of that is fuckin' cool. :lol:

Last edited:
GRtak;n3545597 said:
I see it as a waste of a decent car, but calling it trash it a bit harsh.

It's now space debris, which is trash. :)

prizrak;n3545598 said:
Well is it doing anything useful?

It is part of a media blitz even though Elon and his companies did not pay for any advertising.

NecroJoe;n3545601 said:
Even if someone hated Tesla and Elon with all of their being, I mean...they butt-first landed two rockets the height of the Statue of Liberty, side-by-side and simultaneously (rockets that have already BEEN to space, mind you), and shot an open-top red convertible towards Mars with nods to Hitchhikers's Guide to the Galaxy and David Bowie...maybe I'm nothing more than a 11-year-old boy, but all of that is fuckin' cool. :lol:

So much this.

JCE;n3545604 said:
It's now space debris, which is trash. :)

It is what humans do. We go some place and leave our mark, often in the worst possible way. At least this was done with style. It will also be an interesting museum piece someday. I wonder what the first cars in space will be worth. The Lunar Rovers, and a Tesla Roadster, who would have thunk?

As much as I dislike Musk, watching those rockets land simultaneously was bloody impressive. I wonder what will happen to the car, does it actually have a destination?

It's supposed to stay in a solar orbit. What worried me was the graphic they showed of that orbit... it originated on earth, intersected with mars' orbit, and lead back to earth's orbit :eek:
Probably just bad graphics, or lack of a third dimension though... otherwise, is Tesla planning orbital delivery? :lol:

prizrak;n3545590 said:
Talk about space trash

they need some cargo to create balast
and like any company would risk developing a satelite, only for it blow up during a testflight of a rocket
and no insurance company would've covered it

but they should've just sent trump...just tell him he'd be back soon, and leave him there!

bone;n3545613 said:
they need some cargo to create balast
and like any company would risk developing a satelite, only for it blow up during a testflight of a rocket
and no insurance company would've covered it

but they should've just sent trump...just tell him he'd be back soon, and leave him there!

Whole govt really, that would drain the swamp
NecroJoe;n3545601 said:
It's a cool stunt but if you think critically about it it makes little sense. The "car" is basically just space trash now. Boosters landing is geek boner inducing but that means that they have a lower cargo capacity due to having to accelerate all that fuel that is not being used for boosters. There is a reason why neither NASA nor the Russians land boosters that way and it has nothing to do with technology considering fully automated landers have existed since at least early 90s.

Last edited:
GRtak;n3545608 said:
It is what humans do. We go some place and leave our mark, often in the worst possible way. At least this was done with style. It will also be an interesting museum piece someday. I wonder what the first cars in space will be worth. The Lunar Rovers, and a Tesla Roadster, who would have thunk?

from what I read, the first close pass near the sun will ruin the car, destroying the leather, plastics and paint. if somebody will actually go pick it up in a few hundred years its probably going to be just a rock of coal.