The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

prizrak;n3549051 said:
Not honoring the warranty is not something I have issue with, if car has a "rebuilt" title I wouldn't expect it to be covered under warranty no matter how minor it really was. The problem to me is that they straight up blocked the car from being able to "fill up" despite there not being any issues with it's charging system. Tesla truly is the Apple of car world, because I can absolutely see Apple doing something like that. (And that's coming from someone who has mostly Apple hardware)

My point is that it should not need a rebuilt title for such minor damage in the first place.

prizrak;n3549075 said:
That's up to insurance company not Tesla really.

It sort of is, actually. Tesla charges stratospheric prices for replacement parts, so even simple repairs become writeoff territory.

BerserkerCatSplat;n3549106 said:
It sort of is, actually. Tesla charges stratospheric prices for replacement parts, so even simple repairs become writeoff territory.

That's mainly because they are a boutique toy maker rather than a real volume auto maker. All their models are bespoke and low volume, they can barely make enough panels to build the actual cars much less replacement parts.

prizrak;n3549108 said:
That's mainly because they are a boutique toy maker rather than a real volume auto maker. All their models are bespoke and low volume, they can barely make enough panels to build the actual cars much less replacement parts.

Exactly, hence why the inflated writeoff rate is due to Tesla's subpar supply chain and parts pricing, not the insurance companies.

BerserkerCatSplat;n3549109 said:
Exactly, hence why the inflated writeoff rate is due to Tesla's subpar supply chain and parts pricing, not the insurance companies.

I don't think you are following my logic here, no matter what Tesla does the final decision on whether a car is a write off is on the insurance company. What *is* in Tesla's control is how they handle these cars, and they are doing it poorly. I am not going to blame them for having a high write off rate because that's typical of any boutique manufacturer and anyone getting into one should expect that, but I will blame them for how they handle the rebuilt cars.

prizrak;n3549112 said:
I don't think you are following my logic here, no matter what Tesla does the final decision on whether a car is a write off is on the insurance company. What *is* in Tesla's control is how they handle these cars, and they are doing it poorly. I am not going to blame them for having a high write off rate because that's typical of any boutique manufacturer and anyone getting into one should expect that, but I will blame them for how they handle the rebuilt cars.

I don't think you understand just how bad the Tesla parts situation is, even compared to other low-volume manufacturers. Parts for Teslas are proportionally more expensive than exotics like Ferrari, and wait times for parts are absurd - even for the Model 3, which was supposed to be high-volume. Insurance writeoffs are determined by a rather simple formula that is primarily influenced by the cost of repair, which in this case has been dictated by Tesla's internal pricing and production problems.

I get it, but again it's not relevant here. They can have crazy wait for parts and they can have crazy repair prices that cause cars to be written off for a 5mph collision, none of that matters. The problem is that if I were to buy a written off Lambo and rebuild it, Lamborghini isn't going to push out an OTA update that makes it accept only 87 AKI gas and go 0-60 in 20 seconds instead of 3.

That plane is heavier than the Shuttle really? I'm not impressed, we know electric motors have a ton of torque and they make it all right away. What would be impressive is if it could pull that plane from one airport to another without overheating/running out of battery/bending the shit out of the frame.

Yes it is heavier. Over 100,000 lbs heavier. (151,205, compared to 130 tons, ie, 260,000 lbs.)

The frame should not have much of a problem. It does not directly support the weight of the plane.

I'm surprised, woulda thought that the space ship is heavier. It's not supporting the weight of the train in the sense that it is not holding it up but it is getting a rearward force applied at the hitch because the mass of the airplane is trying to slow down while the car is trying to stop it from doing so. While it will not be the entire 260,000 lbs it is still quite a bit of force acting on the frame that was not designed for it. It's one thing to tow it for a few minutes, it's very different if it has to pull it for a few miles and that's not even getting into air resistance and up/down hills.

Neither the truck or the X would be able to handle anything more than a bump in the road.

GRtak;n3549129 said:
Neither the truck or the X would be able to handle anything more than a bump in the road.

Which is why both are stupid and pointless publicity stunts.

I think this one is buggy?

I doubt it could break a window. I just found it funny.

a woodpecker can generate about 1200g on impact, so i think a normal window wouldn't stand a chance...