The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

The sensor in my Skoda produced quite a few false positives. The sensor in the Opel is way better. It has worse parking sensors though...

I have had the wipers go when a bug hits the window in the summer, otherwise it's been ok. I have had a few weird instances where the cross traffic alert and forward collison have beeped at me warning me of something, while stopped at traffic lights.

I guess? I just think it will be annoying.

James complains about his Model S:

Watch for the magic appearing and disappearing silver Civic. There's no way to say this without coming across as smug but it's reassuring to know that most of these issues aren't present on the cheaper Model 3 with it's lack of fob, motorised door handles/boot lid. I also like the Dual Motor text font, different to that used on the S. Mine does need a wash though too.

Yeah, stuff that isn't there can't break, it's a classic. :D

They're not necessarily even broken, just annoying him. Features that are intended to make the car more luxurious. It is James though after all...

James complains about his Model S:

Watch for the magic appearing and disappearing silver Civic. There's no way to say this without coming across as smug but it's reassuring to know that most of these issues aren't present on the cheaper Model 3 with it's lack of fob, motorised door handles/boot lid. I also like the Dual Motor text font, different to that used on the S. Mine does need a wash though too.

My eGolf does the same annoying 'shut off automatically' thing, even when you don't leave the car. I noticed this waiting for a train to cross, that after 30 or so seconds standing still in Park or Drive, it disactivates.... I need to turn the key again, put it in D, and drive off.

I can't understand the logic behind this, it's not an engine, turning it off hardly saves any energy, it doesn't quieten down the engine because it's already silent, and there's no toxic fumes either. So why is this?

It's probably to avoid people leaving while the car is still on, or forgetting about it.

Since the car is perfectly silent, after a while the driver who's stopped to talk or to wait or to check the phone or the map might think the car is off and might step on the accelerator uncaringly, only to have the car jump forward (or backward) abruptly.

This way, the car knows you will not mess up.

There's something related to this safety feature on my petrol Polo: it has start-and-stop, and when the system is working the engine can be turned on again by pressing the clutch or moving the steering wheel, or the car can turn itself on again if for example you messed up while setting off; except, if you open the driver door or wait too long (but way more than 30 secs), the car won't start again and the dashboard will tell you that you'll have to turn on the engine with the key.

I can understand it when you exit, because indeed you may not realise it is still "on" and inadvertantly hit the pedal an lurch forward.... but it happens when the passenger door is opened aswell.. Which is annoying if you drop someone off and it takes a while, you have to put it in park, turn the key, select D again ...

Wonder if there's some software method of disabling this. It's not a huge deal, but it is annoying.

I can understand it when you exit, because indeed you may not realise it is still "on" and inadvertantly hit the pedal an lurch forward.... but it happens when the passenger door is opened aswell.. Which is annoying if you drop someone off and it takes a while, you have to put it in park, turn the key, select D again ...

Wonder if there's some software method of disabling this. It's not a huge deal, but it is annoying.

my volvo does the same...kill engine...passenger gets out...i can't close my window anymore
i have to start again before the button works again...

volvo....never again!!!

There surely is a software way out of it. I don't know if it's legal.

my volvo does the same...kill engine...passenger gets out...i can't close my window anymore
i have to start again before the button works again...

The window buttons in my car stop working if you open any doors while the key is not in the "on" position, otherwise, ten minutes after the key has been taken out of its slot. The steering wheel buttons stop as soon as the key is not in the "on" position.

@NooDle, perhaps it's a setting. I know when I was fiddling in OBDeleven and turning things on/off with my GTI and Alltrack, I had the option to allow windows to work when key is removed or some such. I have it switched on and I can at least close the windows with they key out of the ignition, and while they're rolling up, open the door and they continue to close.

My eGolf does the same annoying 'shut off automatically' thing, even when you don't leave the car. I noticed this waiting for a train to cross, that after 30 or so seconds standing still in Park or Drive, it disactivates.... I need to turn the key again, put it in D, and drive off.

I can't understand the logic behind this, it's not an engine, turning it off hardly saves any energy, it doesn't quieten down the engine because it's already silent, and there's no toxic fumes either. So why is this?

I don't understand why it would do this either, the Model 3 will happily sit there in drive without me touching the pedals (auto brake hold on) and won't deactivate. If I unbuckle the seat belt it will 'log me out' in my configuration and I will have to re-enter the PIN before driving. Not sure about the passenger door, I'm pretty sure it doesn't care and will keep going.

I don't understand why it would do this either, the Model 3 will happily sit there in drive without me touching the pedals (auto brake hold on) and won't deactivate. If I unbuckle the seat belt it will 'log me out' in my configuration and I will have to re-enter the PIN before driving. Not sure about the passenger door, I'm pretty sure it doesn't care and will keep going.
The "log-out" will only happen if you have the Easy Entry mode set up - it has to switch profiles to activate that. I don't use that or the PIN, so mine only switches to Park if I unbuckle and/or get up from my seat. Passenger doors and seatbelts don't matter, they only cause some warning chimes if the car is still in Drive, but you can drive on.

The "log-out" will only happen if you have the Easy Entry mode set up - it has to switch profiles to activate that. I don't use that or the PIN, so mine only switches to Park if I unbuckle and/or get up from my seat.

I suspected this was the case but I set EE and PIN up almost immediately so didn't want to make false statements. :p

Butt...

How is that possible on a modern phone? Unless you don't secure your device in any way and then you're asking for shit like this.

How is that possible on a modern phone? Unless you don't secure your device in any way and then you're asking for shit like this.

I've managed to pocket my phone unlocked before... it happens.

I've managed to pocket my phone unlocked before... it happens.

Fair enough but you wouldn't try and blame a company if something happened on the phone while it was unlocked, would you? That's like people giving their phones to kids and complaining when they buy a ton of paid apps, there has to be some user responsibility.

I'm not just Defending Tesla here, I'd say the same with any in-app purchase. You could easily spend twice as much on the Amazon app with as little as one button press and no extra authentication.