The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

I see your point Matt, but still, any purchase, even a 2€ one, should be authorized by a pincode, fingerprint or whatever, no?

I have no idea who he is but there are some strange arguments there, I'll pick on ones that aren't Tesla specific:

• He's saying that 4WD cars with lots of power are a bad idea, I think Porsche and Audi and all the others would like a word about that.
  • I disagree with his argument that EVs are missing something because they're "on mute", he's either a bit deaf or doesn't consider wind, road or electrical noise to be actual noise. You still get the sensation of speed and acceleration without an engine note or gear changes.
  • Are we to assume that he only drove the SR+? Surely bashing the suspension of any car without driving the model with 'better' suspension is just bad journalism. One wouldn't evaluate the suspension of the BMW 3-series solely based on the 320i, totally ignoring any upgrades or the M3.

• Are we to assume that he only drove the SR+? Surely bashing the suspension of any car without driving the model with 'better' suspension is just bad journalism. One wouldn't evaluate the suspension of the BMW 3-series solely based on the 320i, totally ignoring any upgrades or the M3.
I didn't watch the video, but I hope you aren't referring to the Performance as 'better'? Its suspension is atrocious.

I didn't watch the video, but I hope you aren't referring to the Performance as 'better'? Its suspension is atrocious.

The point was that he was judging the car without even acknowledging that there is another suspension set up available, mentioning its apparent over-use of traction and stability control. That's something that lowered and stiffened suspension would hopefully be designed to address, is it not?

Having never driven SR+ or LR, I have nothing to compare it against so being part of the performance package makes it 'better' as far as I can tell, hence the inverted commas. You may think it's atrocious compared to what you're used to, I think it's fine compared to what I'm used to. Very different car backgrounds and his opinion is the only one I'm questioning.

That is next lever corner (and cost) cutting!
Seems like the model Y is the one to avoid, as most of the issues I hear are related to that one.

Also I hear they're going to make an even smaller, cheaper model to bring the price even further down... I kinda wanted one, but now I'm not so sure anymore...

Looks like a mounting aid / glue setting pressure / etc. temporary thing that someone forgot to take off.

Looks like a mounting aid / glue setting pressure / etc. temporary thing that someone forgot to take off.

Yeah it does, strange. It's clearly held on with bolts but it looks like there's a sealant squeezing below the visible bolt. Maybe they just went with if it doesn't rattle then leave it, more people have posted photos of theirs on the community forum.

No, if you look through the linked thread the coolers always have some kind of corner bracing for the strap installed when delivered. It's just recently they've started using wood scraps instead of plastic edging. The strap system looks to be installed to reduce the stress on the cooler due to the cantilevered mount - they probably had cracking issues and had to give it extra support.

Looks like more than an isolated incident. I love the specs for Teslas, but their build quality is dogshit-aweful. I would much rather sacrifice some range and performance to not have a new luxury car that was Redneck-engineered together from the factory. If they cut corners like this, what other hidden surprises are there in the running gear and electronics?

I expect there to be an NHTSA investigation and/or class action against Tesla within the next 7 years as their cars age and these defects make themselves known

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/36274...bled-together-with-home-depot-grade-fake-wood

Tesla is known for quickly adapting to changing environments. From setting up shop in a tent to increase production output to reducing design complexity to maximize profits—success requires the ability to juke around obstacles at a moment's notice. However, not all of these changes are carefully executed, as a recent thread on the Tesla Motors Club forum shows. According to several owners of the all-new Model Y, Tesla has allegedly assembled their cars using what appears to be faux wood trim from a home improvement store.
It all started with a forum post featuring a photo of a Model Y's frunk plastics removed. The original poster of the thread had reportedly spent more than ten hours disassembling their Model Y to correct poor panel fitment when they came across a large chunk of metal secured with green tape and a small strap.
"Someone made a run to Home Depot to make Q2 numbers," jested the thread's original poster.

message-editor%2F1599653997555-teslawoodlcc.png

message-editor%2F1599654006907-teslawhitelcc.jpg

message-editor%2F1599654153282-teslawoodlcc2.jpg

Shortly after, a few other posters chimed in with photos of the same part, showing more wood grain and a few plain white mounts as well.
That part you're looking at is the Model Y's Liquid Cooled Condenser (LCC). Its job is essentially that of a heat exchanger, passing refrigerant through a large block where it transfers the thermal properties of the cryogen with other parts of the cooling system. This is just one small sliver of Tesla's unique octavalve cooling system found in the Model Y that is responsible for conditioning the car's cabin, battery, and drive unit simultaneously.
The trim appears to be providing some strain relief for the strap holding the LCC in place, perhaps to keep the tension from providing unnecessary stress on the condenser during vibration or flexing, or to prevent any sharp corners from severing the strap itself. However, it's worth noting that Tesla didn't always use what appears to be akin to in-home molding in this application. In fact, several videos on YouTube show vehicles fitted with a clear plastic part in place of the trim.

message-editor%2F1599651684848-youtubedaerik.png

VIA YOUTUBE | DAERIK
YouTuber DAErik shows off an early Model Y which does not feature wood trim.
Interestingly, Tesla's own parts catalog doesn't show the any such mounting solution found on the various Model Ys in the thread. It's not clear if the part simply isn't documented, or if it was a rapid fix that has remained in production for quite some time.
Veteran auto manufacturing critic Sandy Munro previously looked over a car that contained the white trim option and it wasn't enough for him to criticize the automaker, so it's possible that the part is simply cheap and is working for the job. Still, Model Y owners are raising eyebrows and questioning how trim that appears to be from the shelf of a hardware store somehow ended up under the factory plastics of a $55,000 premium vehicle.

Looks like more than an isolated incident. I love the specs for Teslas, but their build quality is dogshit-aweful. I would much rather sacrifice some range and performance to not have a new luxury car that was Redneck-engineered together from the factory. If they cut corners like this, what other hidden surprises are there in the running gear and electronics?

I expect there to be an NHTSA investigation and/or class action against Tesla within the next 7 years as their cars age and these defects make themselves known

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/36274...bled-together-with-home-depot-grade-fake-wood

Agreed - it couldn't be better said myself. Sure it's "something the customer doesn't see" and "if it works it works"

But that shit's not acceptable on a 20k Kia, let alone a 50k luxury compact CUV. Pretty sure @LP and I sat in a Model 3 or S that just had egregious fit and finish issues in the Tesla mall space at some point.

Yesterday I rode in a Tesla for the very fist time. It was a Model X.

Impressions: it looks nice inside, the falcon doors are a show-stopper and it's nice to see out BUT I felt the ride was really harsh. Aren't they supposed to be a Crossover/SUV/Family Hauler?

Last edited:
Yesterday I rode in a Tesla for the very fist time. It was a Model X.

Impressions: it looks nice inside, the falcon doors are a show-stopper and it's nice to see out BUT I felt the ride was really harsh. Aren't they supposed to be an Crossover/SUV/Family Hauler?

They are yeah. I wonder what the driver had the air suspension set to - that could definitely play a role in affecting ride quality.

Tesla also doesn’t shy away from large wheel sizes and low profile tires which don’t help matters.

Agreed - it couldn't be better said myself. Sure it's "something the customer doesn't see" and "if it works it works"

But that shit's not acceptable on a 20k Kia, let alone a 50k luxury compact CUV. Pretty sure @LP and I sat in a Model 3 or S that just had egregious fit and finish issues in the Tesla mall space at some point.

Yeah the fucking C-pillar came off in your hand when you sat in the back, there were lots of exposed metal and shit inside, panel gaps out the wazoo as everyone and their dog has described.

And yeah it was a model 3. The model S I test drove didn't have those issues as far as I could see, I don't know what you remember from that experience.

Impressions: it looks nice inside, the falcon doors are a show-stopper

Guess what happens if someone opens the tailgate when it's full of snow and the falcon doors are open?

I would rather have normal doors. Call me boring but it's one of those things you don't have to reinvent.

Of course not. But it's fun to try.

Of course not. But it's fun to try.

One of my annoyances: they do shit differently because they can. not because ot makes sense or is better in any way or whatever - no, just because they can and they need to be different. stupid model 3 door handles for example, both inside and out, every single time someone rides with me I have to explain how they work. door handles that need to be explained, honestly?

Ugh...

What I don't get, however, is the flipping focus on the panel gaps and build quality. I don't know about the early models, but my car is May 2019 and I haven't found anything to annoy me, really. Sure, the early examples were probably a minefield (as are the current Model Y), but it seems to have (at least sort of) ironed out a little...

100% agreed on the door handles. I can sort of get the outside - it helps aero, and there are other cars with similar handles as well (although they still require first time explanation for 99% of passengers). The inside door _buttons_ though are plain stupid and serve no discernible purpose vs. normal door handles.