The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

I can't see a reason why they chose the buttons for the inside, the front doors have manual releases anyway. I like them though despite having to explain them all the time (even with the button labels), they're quirky and when have I owned a car that wasn't quirky in some way? Never.

I'm partly looking forward to someone more familiar with the Model 3 riding in mine so they can give a better opinion of its build quality but I'm also shitting it in case mine's a dog and I didn't notice. I can't find any more quality faults and neither have my passengers that I remember. I very much enjoy being in it.

One of my annoyances: they do shit differently because they can. not because ot makes sense or is better in any way or whatever - no, just because they can and they need to be different. stupid model 3 door handles for example, both inside and out, every single time someone rides with me I have to explain how they work. door handles that need to be explained, honestly?

Ugh...

What I don't get, however, is the flipping focus on the panel gaps and build quality. I don't know about the early models, but my car is May 2019 and I haven't found anything to annoy me, really. Sure, the early examples were probably a minefield (as are the current Model Y), but it seems to have (at least sort of) ironed out a little...
It's not just one car, that's the problem. Tesla has a lot of variability in their production, hell, for a while they were building cars in a tent to try to meet production goals. Every car was going out the door regardless of how bad it was. Your car might have been made indoors on a good day when they weren't rushing, but there have been many reports of poorly fitted body work, paint problems, and other issues related to construction that seem to continue to plague Tesla. The use of hardware store wood trim to shim parts of the car together in the way some Redneck would bodge together a Trans Am isn't helping things.

Chrysler has historically had similar problems. Some people swear by the reliability of the Jeep Cherokee XJ, but mine was an absolute lemon from the paint down. Some would run 250,000 miles without so much as a hiccup, others were in the shop 4 times a year with issues. You never knew which one you were going to get. The Tesla forums are full of people flat out refusing to accept delivery of their new cars due to obvious defects.

Wait, how do you operate the door handles in a Model 3 Tesla?

And when exiting the car, pull on the very conveniently placed emergency release lever and cause all kinds of alarms, instead of looking for the window switch looking opening button. Not that I'd done this. :mrgreen:

I suppose the idea of a button instead of the door handle was a way of trying to convince people that "Tesla means spaceship from the future". A marketing feat.

There's probably some minor technical reason for it, which in combination with the marketing effort helped the buttons make the cut.

At least on the recent Model Ys the buttons have lit-up icons on them to make clearer what they do. On my 3, I had to put stickers on myself. That reduced the number of "how do I get out of here" questions, but not down to 0 :)

What I don't get, however, is the flipping focus on the panel gaps and build quality.

Because they are defective and a good company doesn't knowingly ship rejects.

If they do, then they are fixed by the dealer when they do PDI.

Just shows utter contempt for customers.

I've seen cars fail PDI and the dealer fixes all the issues under warranty before the customer gets sight of the car.

This is a return to the times when you bought a new Oldsmobile and then you had to spend the next six months taking it to a dealer every so often so they would finish building the thing properly.

I'm pretty sure the tent assembly line continues to this day.

Now that's what you call in-tents assembly. :|

I'll see myself out. In this country Tesla and Land Rover have been voted as having the most dealer visits after buying a new car, hardly surprising as in most cases neither seem to be finished when they're delivered.

Building the future of transportation and energy... in a tent.

This is a boring and annoying dystopia.

I remember a forum post somewhere by someone that used to work at an italian car dealership way back then.

Apparently paint resprays and loooong shakedown runs with the speedo drive disconnected was par for the course for brand new cars.

Already saw a bunch of comments on twitter "but who's gonna tell us 'no comment' now?" :hammer: if that's all they were really doing, eliminating the department is just getting rid of unnecessary cost...

Well, it seems that Model 3's which were built before May 21st 2019 are prone to get their rear bumper ripped off when you are driving through deep-ish puddles...

Whoops, that's not ideal. I wanted to get the tiny mud flap thingies for mine to help keep some dirt off and protect the paint but I'm not sure that putting any extra pressure on the rear bumper is a good idea!