The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

Another low blow:

Musk posted a 2:39 video clip of the 1995 cult comedy movie "Tommy Boy," featuring actors Chris Farley and David Spade behind the wheel of a vehicle completely out of control on the highway.
Chris Farley is Jim Farley's cousin. He died just before Christmas 1997.

Eeeehhhh....I don't know why they had to add the "he died" part. I see it as more of a good-natured jab. It's not like Chris died in a car crash.

Considering Musk's track record, it is not good-natured.
This is a guy that accuses someone else of being "a pedo" for a very frivolous reason.

‘No one was driving the car’: 2 men dead after fiery Tesla crash in Spring, officials say​

Crash near houston, one was in the back, one in the passenger seat!

32,000 gallons of water to extinguish the flames

Crash near houston, one was in the back, one in the passenger seat!

32,000 gallons of water to extinguish the flames

This belongs in the Idiots and Cars thread.

Apparently they were 59 and 69 years old, hardly the type to ghost ride a Tesla. It's entirely possible that the man in the passenger seat was the driver trying to escape and the guy in the back was maybe there for social distancing reasons? Was there a driver who escaped? They would have to put a concrete block or something very heavy on the drivers seat for a 2019 car to allow this.

This belongs in the Idiots and Cars thread.

Its as much, if not more to to do with the grossly misleading Autopilot and Full Self Driving marketing of Tesla.

As stated before, you have to go to a lot of trouble and very explicitly ignore warnings and deliberately trick the car to get it to drive anywhere on its own without someone in the drivers seat... this has nothing to do with misleading marketing, give me a break.

They would have to put a concrete block or something very heavy on the drivers seat for a 2019 car to allow this.
Not only that, but also tape some stuff to the wheel for the car to not disengage AP after like 20 seconds and stop at the side of the road. it actually seems more likely that the driver ended up in the passenger seat or something... this definitely is some weird shit.

Probably more like this:

auto shanghai 2021

Probably more like this:
I do very much wonder how that first one works. They must have tricked the "weight on seat" sensor somehow - Autopilot needs that to be active, and will disengage when no-one is in the seat. I unwillingly tested that once by reaching over to the right side door pocket for a water bottle, and lifting my butt a centimeter too far out of the seat - it immediately went into "full panic" mode, beeping at me, requesting I take over immediately on the screen with a huge red flashing animation, and turning on hazards and slowing down. Same thing happens if you unfasten the seatbelt (also tested that once by trying to take off my jacket...).

*edit* Here's a good video showing what it looks like:

Last edited:
Apparently they were 59 and 69 years old, hardly the type to ghost ride a Tesla. It's entirely possible that the man in the passenger seat was the driver trying to escape and the guy in the back was maybe there for social distancing reasons? Was there a driver who escaped? They would have to put a concrete block or something very heavy on the drivers seat for a 2019 car to allow this.
The early articles included something about how (I think it was) the police say they are 100% sure there was no driver. Perhaps both passengers were seat-belted and maybe already dead when emergency services arrived on-scene?

So...did a driver just yeet himself out of the car while driving then, leaving those two unfortunates inside to crash?

I am not saying this is Tesla's fault, but this whole ordeal sounds fishy.

That conveniently doesn't mention seatbelts and the fact that they must've deliberately buckled the belt and then sat on top of it before changing seats. Something you can do deliberately (like you can defeat any safety system if you're determined) but not something you could do by mistake.

That conveniently doesn't mention seatbelts and the fact that they must've deliberately buckled the belt and then sat on top of it before changing seats. Something you can do deliberately (like you can defeat any safety system if you're determined) but not something you could do by mistake.
This. It's no different than someone removing a speed limiter, or picking a lock.

This. It's no different than someone removing a speed limiter, or picking a lock.

Difference being Tesla still says it can't happen