The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

Or do the GM thing of heating the washer fluid... because glass loves thermal shock.

The fluid itself. The cars were recalled and the systems disabled because they set the car on fire. Which, to be fair, solves the icing problem. I've also heard of the heated fluid causing chips to expand into cracks.

The heated glass on our VW is much less effective than the actual HVAC defrost vents, and those are already pitiful in this car. It's not like the rear defrost, which is much better.

The fluid itself. The cars were recalled and the systems disabled because they set the car on fire. Which, to be fair, solves the icing problem. I've also heard of the heated fluid causing chips to expand into cracks.

So I went looking for this...the fucked up part is that GM had them set on fire twice:

2008: GM drops HotShot windshield washer system after expensive recall
2010: GM Will Deactivate Heated Washer Fluid Systems

It should be pointed out that other manufacturers such as Mercedes have successfully implemented the idea, even using the same principle of "heating element in washer bottle". As of 2015, it shows up on your Build sheet as:

875 Heated Washer System (SPC)

I got some posts suggesting that some SAABs did something similar with a heat exchanger between the coolant and the washer reservoir, but there's no credible source on this one.

Presumably any chance of thermal shock to the glass can be countered by merely not heating the fluid to steaming temp.

The early Mercedes systems used coolant and inevitably they start leaking one way or other by the thermostat housing.

The new heaters are likely electric?

On this one, Tesla have done nothing wrong for a change. The "hack" was this dude finding unsecured instances of some owners' third-party software for logging data from their car, and using a vulnerability in those to pull the login tokens. I run that exact software myself, and all installation manuals explicitly state to secure it properly to prevent exactly this, offering several ways to do it. Getting it to run sufficiently unsecured for the "hacker" to be able to access the tokens is pure negligence by whoever setup the software themselves.

Also the article is wrong in one crucial point: yes one can do a lot with a login token, but to "remote start" the car and actually drive one needs the account password in addition, and that's not available through the "breach".

The early Mercedes systems used coolant and inevitably they start leaking one way or other by the thermostat housing.

The new heaters are likely electric?

I‘ve toyed with the idea of wrapping the washer fluid hose around the upper radiator hose.

The flow rate probably wouldn't allow for much heat to be picked up by the fluid, assuming the fluid in that coil would even make it to the sprayers in one washing.

Are hot washer fluid kits still available?

Full page in NYT, "Don’t be a Tesla Crash Test Dummy"

The Dawn Project is campaigning to ban unsafe software from safety critical systems, which could be targeted by military-style hackers to cause chaos to our society, starting with the following key industries:​

• Transport
  • Healthcare
  • Communications
  • Water treatment plants
  • Power grids

Our first campaign is targeting Tesla full self-driving cars.

Thats a bold statement...
I'm by no means a Tesla fanboy but in my experience this is wildly inaccurate.
I've driven Tesla's for miles and I've needed to interfere with it once (1 time).

A Nissan Leaf with adaptive CC was much more dangerous since that often slammed on the brakes for no reason, which is far more dangerous because people can run into the back of you in an instant

Also, I think a lot of the problems / expectations stem from the name "autopilot" which makes it sound like you don't really have to do anything anymore. It's basically just adaptive cruise with lane keep (+ some fancy extras which we over in Yurop don't get).

Interesting to see if/how Elon will react to this