The "i made dis" thread

Dated as in went to the movies or as in ..... :hump:?

Current progress on my ridiculously epic tapestry. 3.4 pages in, 36.6 pages to stitch.
Final size will be 57.5" by 42". Or 146cm by 107cm.
7fc3031155a34c805e2d0bcbd7cbaab3.jpg

Oooh, Chieftec goodness - those are solid steel cases, but heavy old bruisers. :)

I finally reached the heels of my dad's socks. I didn't like the heels I used before, like this is a heel flap & gusset design for the heel. It's functional, but it's annoying to create and the triangle shape it ends up making on the side makes the socks look like an amateur's work (IMO).
IMG_2308.jpg

For my dad's socks, I decided to try the Fish Lips Kiss heel (Ravelry link for those on the site). The yarn for my father's socks is very dark, so it's hard to photograph details, but I mangled this shot a bit and I think it's at least somewhat visible:
IMG_2304.jpg

There's no weird triangle. The turn makes a nice diagonal line, like professional/machine made socks have. The shape fits the heel with a consistent cloth (no holes or gaps, which are difficult to avoid with some heel designs). And it's a much easier, more pleasant pattern to work than the other heels I've tried. I'm really glad I decided to try it.

The damn cat has decided it likes to sit in the window sill when the window is open. Unfortunate for two reasons:
1) it is wider than the sill, so it's pushing the window screen "fabric" out from the frame
2) the cat freaks out and tries to climb or claw through the screen whenever another cat, skunk, raccoon, or opossum walk by.

This is a proof of concept for what I want to build for two other windows so we can still leave the windows open without having to worry about the cat getting out.

20160525_170835_zpsye84jggp_edit_1464224723243_zpspipjaicw.jpg

20160525_171706_zps36gqhadq.jpg

Today's "workshop":

20160525_164048_zpsd5iapeev.jpg

Two weeks ago, I built a wooden frame to put inside the box my new guitar shipped in, so that I could beat it to hell in a fake "unboxing" video.

Here is the frame and box after the video shoot:
20160520_230938_zpsjtrpk9qs.jpg

Here is the video. I don't think it turned out to bad considering its only my 2nd shot (for the purposes of later use) and edited video ever. :)

Last edited:
Not really a car update but it is in the pictures? With the space out here on our acreage I wanted to get a few play structures for the kids. I was pretty shocked at how expensive they are and how flimsy most pieces are. I decided to make a few pieces myself out of stock steel and leftover parts I have.

First one up was a teeter totter. Used some 2x3 tube with a 1x2 on it for stiffness for the main beam, dismantled two bikes from the junkyard for their handlebars and seats, and used the main steering bearings for the mid bearing on the teeter totter. One day of work later and it is ready for paint! I will be staking the four corners down into the grass when it is in position. Total cost was about 250$ including paint.

PS: disregard the booger welds on some parts, I was having welder issues..... I fixed the welder (gas flow in the hose) and ground down the welds before I put it all together.

Damn.

here an idea for your next project, i'm sure your girls will love it! :lol:

Couple updates, made a swing set that is 9' tall. Not as crazy as the 360 swing but that is a good idea for the next one :blink:. Also painted the teeter totter in a break in the rain. We had to place it to straddle the 3' bank as my wife wasn't crazy about the kids being 6' in the air :rolleyes:. I figure they are 6 and 4 they are old enough to do it safely and it is on grass?

Last edited:
Any thoughts on what I should make next for them? They are thinking some monkey bars or something like it. You guys are smart and I want to know your design thoughts :cool:

Any thoughts on what I should make next for them? They are thinking some monkey bars or something like it. You guys are smart and I want to know your design thoughts :cool:

Something they can climb in and on. Google "buzzijungle" for a product that was hilariously designed by a company that primarily makes products for somewhat funky office spaces...but could be super fun in a backyard.

- - - Updated - - -

Small and stupid, but I finally remembered to make this *before* packing up the drill press for the night. Just a piece of scrap plywood with holes and slots to hold the tools for the drill press, with two neodymium magnets that hold it to the steel lid, and somewhat to hold the wrenches in the holder when the lid is opened from the side. Also made one for my table saw.

20160807_183656_zpssafxftn7.jpg

Also, too many clamps is almost enough..

20160807_174457_zpsahollnxw.jpg

Last edited:
Not quite done yet, but the basic form. Got ahold of some hickory, and I'm practicing miter joints, and having the wood grain wrapped over then corner, continuous from the bottom of one foot to the other, even though it's cut in 3 pieces.

20160808_004836_zpsmachuu4q.jpg

20160808_004900_zpslbzm7tnz.jpg

Last edited:
Never having noticed this thread before, these might be kinda old, made a good while ago, but i did make them!

Done some leatherworking, made a couple belts.

Efw2HlY.jpg

pTLFnDu.jpg

Started with some leather. (duh)
1I06Jd0.jpg

Cut it into a strip, designed my pattern then painted it with dyes.
kIQwIDZ.jpg

Made holes for stitching.
fd9ZLER.jpg

Which allowed it to be hand stitched, no sowing machine here.
DsAlia1.jpg

Bonus!
I tried hand knitting, the masks end up on your arms instead of using knitting needles, made a scarf.
1NiJ3OQ.jpg

You should make that spinny thing that you get a running start with, hop onto, then get dizzy as hell.

How was that the first thing that popped into your head from that description? :p