The "i made dis" thread

My gravel driveway was getting pretty beat in and weedy/muddy. Built a little drag out of 100% scrap metal I had laying around to pull with my lawn mower. I have a 200lb weight I set on top. It has small rebar tines that dig in pretty well!

Well, Frontera had another dead washer motor, so i pretty much got fed up with replacement of used parts, and bought chineese high pressure headlight washer.

The original idea was to only take it's motor (which still was a bargain, cause whole set is cheaper than used motor from scrap dealer) ...buuuut since stock system was designed for crappy motors, the jet streams came two-car distance over the top :lol:

So i drilled the hood installment according with the instructions for the "bumper adjustment" in the manual, and here we go.

https://vimeo.com/203685883

Please don't mind knocking from the wiper mechanism (which has a huge play in joints, due to many years of "consumer's snow removal") and watch the coverage. (which is fullscreen, before wipers start)

System has been already tested by yours trully, in conditions of icey countryside (below -35C) and at speeds from 0 to 130 coverage isn't much of a change.
+ mileage of wiper fluid bounced up from 50 to 120 MPG (that is in russian "brown coat(tm)" highway ).

THAT'S HIDEOUS!

Oh well, it's on a Frontera so meh... :dunno:

:p

I made myself a megaohm resistance substitution box this weekend. Not completely made from scratch but assembled by me and it was the first intricate solder project I've done and I want to show it off. It's not the best soldering in the world but by my standards it's excellent and better that person who made the guide I used.

DSC_9264_P_S1024.jpg

DSC_9271_P_S1024.jpg

It's build with a decade switch bank and a load of resistors, all bought from eBay and cost me very little to build. The first bank is 1 ohm, then 10 ohm, 100 ohm, etc up to 9.999999 Mohm. I wrote 1Mohm max. on the top but that's actually complete rubbish. There's about a 1 ohm error because of internal resistance, I could've got rid of that and may still do in the future but it doesn't really matter.

Dad and I have been working for the last couple weeks to get our shop building up and running. The idea is to have 4 septate areas: An area for working on equipment, woodworking, welding and metal fabrication and storage.

Today I built the bench for the woodworking area. Dad sent me one he liked and I need my design on it, but went a little overboard with legs and crossmembers.

20170228_171848_HDR.jpg

20170228_171829_HDR.jpg

I'm still not sure what I'll do for the welding table. It'll be epic for sure!

I wish I had the space for a workstation like that, I certainly would spend more time making things. Nice power tool holder too, very convenient.

I wish I had the space for a workstation like that, I certainly would spend more time making things.

This. My "shop" is my driveway. Everything is jam-packed in the garage, and unuseable unless it's during the day, on the weekends, when the weather cooperates...which hasn't been very often lately. :( A couple nights ago I was gluing up some chairs in my living room and it was so much nicer to not be under the sun, in the wind.

That's a neat idea. What are you going to use this for?

Bob's fuel tank doesn't have a sender and an original one can't be used, I'd like to put a universal one in at some point and they come in all kinds of resistance values. I couldn't find the official values for the factory fuel gauge so this is a good way to find out.

It's also a bit of a toy and was a nice cheap project to improve my soldering skills with my new soldering station. :)

Ah, of course. Although, I suppose a megaohm potentiometer would offer sufficient accuracy ;) But it's a nice simple project indeed.

Dad and I have been working for the last couple weeks to get our shop building up and running. The idea is to have 4 septate areas: An area for working on equipment, woodworking, welding and metal fabrication and storage.

Today I built the bench for the woodworking area. Dad sent me one he liked and I need my design on it, but went a little overboard with legs and crossmembers.

View attachment 17940

View attachment 17941

I'm still not sure what I'll do for the welding table. It'll be epic for sure!

Man I wish I had the space for that, a little shop with one of those and a mill, a lathe, a welding table....you can build the world.

You know, it gets me thinking.....how many of us are left you reckon? I mean the people who can actually design and build things? The real down to earth practical handymen? Every generation they seem to get fewer and fewer , replaced by designers and hot air....still there obviously, otherwise the world would be doomed, but still.

You know, it gets me thinking.....how many of us are left you reckon? I mean the people who can actually design and build things? The real down to earth practical handymen? Every generation they seem to get fewer and fewer , replaced by designers and hot air....still there obviously, otherwise the world would be doomed, but still.

Lots. And I'm not just talking about the people that build something out of pallets they saw on Pintrest. The racing community is full of the type of guy that can take a block of steel/aluminum or a pile of tubing and make something useful.

From what I can see it's becoming more popular as a hobby thanks to technology. I certainly get a lot of inspiration from people online and even in this thread

From what I can see it's becoming more popular as a hobby thanks to technology. I certainly get a lot of inspiration from people online and even in this thread
Ditto. Instructional YouTube videos make things a lot easier. Previously, you would have had to spend lots of time on finding the right book(s) and then leaf through them in the hope of finding the one bit of information you needed. Today, you can still read the books and you can also watch someone "do it right" after a few moments of googling. My fianc?e goes online all the time for all sorts of knitting, sewing etc. advice.

You see, and I really do not want to insult anybody, cause Goddamn am I glad you guys are still around, but the fact most people percieve it as 'a hobby' is part of the problem.
I Was raised to be self sufficient to a point, to build my own stuff, to not need professionals to fix a heater, a fosset, or an outlet, let alone pay someone for masonery or carpentry, there are still things I cannot do obviously...but I guess it's a different way of thinking, to me it's not a hobby, to me it's a matter of pride, and self-sufficientness.
Generational difference I suppose.

Last edited:
The internet is a great source of information to learn or research for sure.

The reason I have learned to be a do it yourselfer is a strictly monetary one. I can't pay a plumber or a carpenter to come to my house and ply their trade. I have to do it.