The "i made dis" thread

Great work getting the centre to be, y'know, central. I know it's incredibly easy to have a tiny error that just adds up to a big fuck up. Table saw method looks good, still easy to wander off centre after the first cut.
To be clear, the white part is like a mosaic bathroom tile, adhered on a mesh backing. So the white triangles were all already cut and evenly spaced. I just had to cut the substrate to be the same shape with about 3/16" overhang to seat in a dado slot in the frame pieces.

For the substrate, I used my table saw "circle jig" (just a shirty square of plywood I can nail into, and a miter slot bar, that buts right up to the blade. I first cut a square, then lopped of corners. And then eased up to the lines with several more shallow passes.

To be clear, the white part is like a mosaic bathroom tile, adhered on a mesh backing. So the white triangles were all already cut and evenly spaced. I just had to cut the substrate to be the same shape with about 3/16" overhang to seat in a dado slot in the frame pieces.

For the substrate, I used my table saw "circle jig" (just a shirty square of plywood I can nail into, and a miter slot bar, that buts right up to the blade. I first cut a square, then lopped of corners. And then eased up to the lines with several more shallow passes.
Oh I see, they have quite a convincing wood grain effect on them (whether it's intentional or not) so I thought they were wood. Makes sense for a coaster I suppose, they look great.

Oh I see, they have quite a convincing wood grain effect on them (whether it's intentional or not) so I thought they were wood. Makes sense for a coaster I suppose, they look great.

They actually *are* wood. They are painted teak.

Teak Tiles - IndoTeak Design

A FIRST OF ITS KIND, A SOLID FSC RECYCLED 100%, TEAK TILE FOR WET (yes it can go in the shower) OR DRY SPACES.

I had to trim them on my table saw a little bit, and can confirm that it is indeed a dense, rich, brown wood on the inside.

Not my design, and I didn't make the tiles, but I installed them yesterday. The trick is that they are all painted with a pretty thick coat, so their dimensions are imperfect, especially in the corners. On a white wall, you wouldn't notice gaps, but you certainly would on a dark wall like this, especially when looking at it straight-on, like you do with this location, at the end of a long corridor.

In the end, I'm very proud of the alignment. Every perimeter edge is damn near perfectly level (more so than the wall itself, anyway), and every non-floating piece could practically be a pressure fit.

Took about 8 hours, including load-in and pack-up, including applying the VHB to the back of each piece. Wish my ladder was 1 step taller. But then it wouldn't have fit in my car very well...

View attachment 3558797View attachment 3558798View attachment 3558799View attachment 3558800View attachment 3558801View attachment 3558802View attachment 3558803View attachment 3558804View attachment 3558805

They liked it so much, they ordered more for another wall and hired me to install them again. I like this layout better.

20201218_122633[1].jpg

20201218_122752[1].jpg

Nice! Looking to build something similar in the spring.

Do eet. Way cheaper than fixing my cars, plus I have a place to sit that isn't inside the damn house. That's helped a lot with being able to concentrate on stuff.

Finally finished installing this last closet door. The last part of our home remodel except for a few door way thresholds.

Took a long time to figure out what kind of door to put here that wouldn't block anything or get hit by a door if left open, and the install was a real pain in the ass.

The bi-fold action reminds me of a folding hard-top convertible roof, or something. (No it's not automatic...I'm pushing it from inside...and yes: we did make every "in the closet" and "coming out of the closet" joke possible. ?)

Made a video about the Arduino button box thing I was working on some time ago, been meaning to do this for a long time.

For the past, maybe, 2-3 months. We've been trying our hands at making concrete pots. We're still experimenting, but we threw a few up on Etsy to maybe help supplement the costs of the hobby, and sold 4. :)

Some of the most recent experiments that have turned out OK. Still lot to learn, but fun. So much mess, too...

We're trying more experiments with concrete pigment powders, and using silicone ice/candy molds. Most of what we're using so molds are reclaimed food containers, or containers from the local "Everything's $1" store, and a couple from Goodwill.

Screenshot_20210213-114743_Facebook.jpg

20201223_231756.jpg

20201223_231750.jpg

Screenshot_20210215-023013_Layout.jpg

Screenshot_20210214-210506_Layout.jpg

They look great, I particularly like the different colours made in the jugs. Looks like fun too. Have you watched the HomeMadeModern projects with concrete? Some interesting ideas like the concrete chair and using LEGO to make moulds. I suppose in a way you already did that!

They look great, I particularly like the different colours made in the jugs. Looks like fun too. Have you watched the HomeMadeModern projects with concrete? Some interesting ideas like the concrete chair and using LEGO to make moulds. I suppose in a way you already did that!
I have indeed watched his. We're not at the point of being seeking to spend $30 on silicone to make a mold for anything yet like most of his newer content. The lego mold are a great idea, though.

Usually I’m not a fan of concrete, especially in the case of pots. But these are (or look, rather) refreshingly light and thin somehow, very nice ?

We actually have probably spent 20 cumulative hours just figuring out which containers work inside other containers, without the walls getting too thick or thin, to figure out how the tapers interact, which container shaped work (and don't work), so I'm glad to hear it's at least having *some* effect showing through in the end result. :) Thanks!

A few years ago, I was working on a project (a tech company's HQ) at work (an office furniture dealer). Rather than specifying everything ourselves, we were told to work with a fashionable commercial interior design firm who was going to take their first pass at specifying the furniture, and then we were going to have to source it, have it custom-made, or find a way to get the same 'feel' with value-friendly options.

What was hilarious, was how many items they picked that didn't even actually exist besides. Several were one-off student projects, some were even just computer renders of not-real items in one of those "Top 10 coolest stools" lists. Once we totaled up all of the stuff we COULD buy, we were like 5x the budget so we then had to go back and value-engineer almost everything these interior designers (who aren't furniture experts....we were) picked.

One of the side tables that these designers specified was this:
Stool_StudioEO_V2_High_07.jpg

If I remember right, after currency conversion, this side table (about 13" cube) would have been just under $2,000.

That's right. TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS.

I read the description on the website, and it was said that it was made from reclaimed pine, and left-over screen-printing dyes.

This...this table offended me. :lmao:

I challenged myself to build the one myself in 4 days, for $40.

It took me 5 days, but 1/2 of one day was spent driving to a lumber shop that sold old-growth pine thick enough. I ended up having top spend $80 on the wood, but it was enough to make two...so...I'm going to say I still "win". Ha!

Oh, I did have to buy a can of white spray paint, for like $4.00 more, and I used some 5/8" dowels I already had, at all of the joints.

I tried eye-balling the measurements, but I got the proportions a little off. I didn't plane my material thin enough, so mine looks a bit more "chunky". Also, having gotten my mits on one of his other tables, I can guarantee mine is stronger and will last longer because of my beefy doweled construction. My paint isn't as nice, because I was spray painting in the rain, under a piece of cardboard, on top of a trash can, in my windy back yard.

$2,000 (original) vs $40-ish (mine)

1615078853390.png

I would still never sell it or claim it's an original because I still do respect the art of design, etc...but I did show it to my clients who thoughts it was HILARIOUS because they knew how over-budget and without-a-clue those interior designers were. :p

Fucking art, it baffles me. It looks like a good replica, I don't think anyone would notice that it wasn't an original.

It doesn't look like a particularly versatile table. Want to put flat things on it, fine. Want to put a wine glass, coffee mug, or pen on it, and you're going to have to be pretty careful.

If anything, it makes more sense as a stool. Mad props to you for doing at literally a fraction of the price.

It doesn't look like a particularly versatile table. Want to put flat things on it, fine. Want to put a wine glass, coffee mug, or pen on it, and you're going to have to be pretty careful.

The designer technically calls it a stool, but I find that it's much too short to sit on comfortably, and then you're sitting on slats with wide gaps. A glass or coaster on a large coaster or tray works just fine...right now, I've got it shoved into a corner behind the TV stand and bookcase, to lift a potted fiddle leaf plant up higher since it's not quite tall enough.