the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

I think you'd be fine with the Kilpsch or Ultimate ears, wouldn't go too wrong IMO.

Had a bit of a read and apparently is the Klipsch S4 very bass-y and therefore not what I want. The UE seems to have a more neutral kind of sound which I like, but is quite fragile. And that's not so brilliant since I want to take these things outside for sports and stuff.

Nothing will really last if you abuse them though.

I cringe everytime I see someone wrap headphones around their ipod/MP3 player/phone.

Mostly folk, rock, some classical and a bit of electronic stuff. Primary source would be a portable MP3-Player. I'm looking for something in the lines of Klipsch Image S4, UE super.fi 4/5, Sennheiser CX 400 II. Right now I'm using a pair of Sony MDR EX85 LP, which died on me yesterday, and some old Sennheiser CX 300, which I hate, as backup.

My favorites so far would be the Klipsch I guess..

The Ultimate Ears Super.fi5vi were on sale on Amazon for like 65 bucks, they are excellent and include an inline mic. Its my second pair, I had the ones without the mic which I've put in backup, and just bought the UE Sf5vi's so I can use voice control on my iPod and talk on my phone in the car.

The receiver does have a distance setting, but what I would like is some way to test it.

You could create your own test sounds. Assuming the theoretical delay is somewhere in the 5ms range, play a sine wave, let's say 100Hz, on the front left speaker while you're playing the same tone on the back left speaker with no delay in the receiver. If you hear nothing then you need a delay of either 5ms or 15ms (unlikely). If you heard something, shift the tone playing at the back by 1ms forward/later, if you hear nothing now you either need 6 or 16ms (unlikely). If you heard something, shift the tone at the back to 1ms earlier, if you hear nothing now you need 4ms or 14ms (unlikely).

So I decided to hook my new Sansui AU-999 up to my Infinity QBs to see how it did on this (relatively) power hungry speaker. In short, I'm blown away, I didn't think I would be able to find something for a resonable price that would out do my old Technics Receiver on this speakers, but boy was I wrong. I <3 old gear.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2010/10/01/au-999.jpg

A little info on the AU-999 since it is older than most of the people around here (1970-1973).

Description

The AU-999 is the most advanced professional control amplifier ever manufactured by Sansui.

Designed specifically for the ardent audiophile, it features the refined dull black panels common to all AU series professional control amplifiers from Sansui.

The pre-amplifier section is constructed of carefully selected low-noise PNP silicon transistors, while the power amplifier section features direct-coupled circuits specially developed with the improvement of tonal quality in mind.

Together, they permit the AU-999 to deliver a full 180 watts (4 ohms) in music power output with unprecedented tone quality.

The AU-999 is lavishly endowed with accessory circuits.

These include a tone selector circuit, an improved form of the triple tone control circuit that offers a choice in selecting the critical frequencies of tone control; a speaker selector which permits connecting three sets of speaker systems; a balance check switch which simplifies the job of adjusting for optimum balance of the right and left channel sound volumes; facilities to connect two phonographs and two tape decks, and a tape reprint circuit.

Special provisions have also been made to permit the amplifier to be built up into an electronic crossover stereo system and permit comparing such a system with a standard stereo set-up.

Specifications

Power output: 50W per channel RMS [at 8 ohms, 70w @ 4 ohms. -CJ]

Total harmonic distortion: less than 0.4% at rated output

Frequency response: 5 to 100,000Hz

Channel separation: better than 50dB

Load impedance: 4 to 16 Ohms

Damping factor: 45 at 8 Ohms load

You could create your own test sounds. Assuming the theoretical delay is somewhere in the 5ms range, play a sine wave, let's say 100Hz, on the front left speaker while you're playing the same tone on the back left speaker with no delay in the receiver. If you hear nothing then you need a delay of either 5ms or 15ms (unlikely). If you heard something, shift the tone playing at the back by 1ms forward/later, if you hear nothing now you either need 6 or 16ms (unlikely). If you heard something, shift the tone at the back to 1ms earlier, if you hear nothing now you need 4ms or 14ms (unlikely).

Yeah, I get the theory. Do you have a suggestion what could I use to generate such 5-ch ac3 streams?

No need to generate AC3, stereo will do with just a bit of rewiring :lol: if you aren't able to set delays for left or right on its own you could just generate multiple sounds with incremental shifts.

Back in the days I often used CoolEdit, it got bought by Adobe and got renamed Audition - I'm sure there are lots of free alternatives though. Audacity looks like it might work for example. All you need is the ability to generate sines with precise start points.

I like the idea, but I have doubts that it works in real life. The sound you hear at your listenting position is a wild mix of direct and reflected sound radiated by the speaker as well as every reflecting object in the room. Being able to generate a signal from two speakers which is clean enough to generate these helpful phase effects is unlikely. Still, trying it won't hurt, I'd be happy to hear whether that works.

If other influences make proper interference disappear, you could always look for the quietest signal. Keep shifting with fixed volume settings :lol:

I sometimes observe the interference effect with the speakers next to my desk. They're right next to each other, so if my head is in a certain position then there is no delay between each signal. Whenever the left speaker is doing the exact opposite of the right speaker I hear (almost) nothing :lol:

eizbaer, do you have any baffle step compensation and high pass filter on your W4-657sc's?

I have them unfiltered at the moment, but I was wondering if they need any. (baffle-step for improving sound, and high pass for protecting the element)

Last edited:
eizbaer, do you have any baffle step compensation and high pass filter on your W4-657sc's?

I have them unfiltered at the moment, but I was wondering if they need any. (baffle-step for improving sound, and high pass for protecting the element)

i had them running without anything, connected straight to the amp. worked nicely, but i think they could definitely do better.
according to some data sheet (not the one from TB, that's all lies! liiies!) they tend to start wobbling about quite badly above 2.5kHz, that's why i decided to add the 25-1719 tweeters (comparing the result to only the W4s actually brings that out quite nicely).

also: what with moving and all, i still haven't finished my speakers... damn it!

In the house I just moved to I've got my paradigms setup in quite a large room, it's amazing how effective the ultracube still is even in such a large room

OK OP ---

Scenario
Sony TV speakers do not project well enough. I want to setup speakers behind my couch (right by my ears) and send a wireless audio signal from the TV to them.

Requirements
1. No amp wanted
2. Good wireless signal w/out worrying about batteries.
3. Speakers should sound good but don't need to break the bank.

Your thoughts good sir?

so the TV's audio output transmitted wirelessly to a set of self powered speakers won't work?

would i have to have a simple amp behind the couch to recieve the wireless signal? or would it be ok to have teh amp by the tv and send the audio out from there?

You need to have an amp at some point. Self-powered speakers have an inbuilt amp. I suppose that what you meant is that you do not want to have an extra amp you need to put somewhere, which is understandable.

As for wireless speakers, I'm afraid I've never seen any which work well. They all have problems with noise and sound quality. If you don't want to install a pair of speaker cables straight through your room, you should seriously consider installing an RCA cable instead and putting a small stereo amp behind your couch. It's the easiest and best way.

No personal experiences, but the reviews are positive. Since they have a 30 day audition, you could give it a shot. Who knows, maybe these guys have cracked the wireless audio quality problem.

I am thinking of listening to vinyl (again), yet I need a new needle. I've got a Stanton DJ Turntable with a straigt arm, and have 2 Systems: an Ortofon Concorde and the standard Stanton B500. Looking for a cheap replacement needle for either one, or should I buy a complete system?