the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

You can't use the mic-in at all. It's the same jack, but it's an input, and thus only receives signals. Basically, whichever source you use (Laptop, tv, Xbox), you're stuck with stereo through the line-out. I'm not sure whether that works with the X-530 though. At best, it will generate fake 5.1 sound, at worst, it will only feed the front speakers (without the subwoofer).

You might want to spend more for a system that has more than one input and a digital one for the Xbox.

You can't use the mic-in at all. It's the same jack, but it's an input, and thus only receives signals. Basically, whichever source you use (Laptop, tv, Xbox), you're stuck with stereo through the line-out. I'm not sure whether that works with the X-530 though. At best, it will generate fake 5.1 sound, at worst, it will only feed the front speakers (without the subwoofer).

You might want to spend more for a system that has more than one input and a digital one for the Xbox.
That's true. Would it be better for me to use that money to get a better set of 2.1 speakers, instead of a weaker 5.1?

What system has more than one input and is recommended?

I've been checking out the X540 out and it seems quite a nice set of speakers. Is it much better than the X530 to justify the price increase?

Last edited:
Can you point me to the possible shops you could order at? I'll have a look and recommend a few sets...
I've been checking out the X540 out and it seems quite a nice set of speakers. Is it much better than the X530 to justify the price increase?
Seems like the X-540 has a different subwoofer that also has a stereo -> (fake) 5.1 upmix feature. Thus, the 540 would generate basic surround sound from every source. I however recommend true surround sound or a good stereo setup.

Last edited:
(Thanks for all your help and the bother, by the way)

I'm thinking of eBay, Getright.com.au (click Products at the top, then on the left, click Speakers/Headsets), or the shop with the jpeg I uploaded. I don't necessarily have to buy from them, I'll look around for the cheapest deal. I just need some recommendations because I'm totally confused about Speakers :D

Last edited:
Well, that seller of the Edifier is in Adelaide. That's where I stay. I might be able to pick that up for free shipping. I'll definitely give that a try. Sorry, but I think $225 is out of my budget. I just don't see a need for it now

EDIT: I've just realised that my TV has SPDIF. That means it'll output 5.1, right?

Last edited:
Well, I think I have found them, do you guys think MS2i for $190 is a good deal? They are used obviously, and the sell for $299 new and the only place in Canada with a store sells the Grado 325i's for $399.

MS2i should be a great option for rock. What do you plan on getting amp wise?

Its definitely not a bad starter unit. I hope you'll like it :)

Be sure to order some op-amp samples from various manufacturers to try out though!

I have no idea what op-amps are:p, care to explain:D

So i can't get the MS2i's as he wont ship to Canada...and he wont ship to a PO box thingy in the states. I wonder if he will nkow if I ship it to a shipping site, like Canadians ship there for ebay and stuff and pay $5 bucks to pick them up from the states.

Last edited:
Well, that seller of the Edifier is in Adelaide. That's where I stay. I might be able to pick that up for free shipping. I'll definitely give that a try. Sorry, but I think $225 is out of my budget. I just don't see a need for it now.
No problem, I know it was a big ask. The Edifier stuff is good. If the price doesn't go too far, it would make an excellent choice.
EDIT: I've just realised that my TV has SPDIF. That means it'll output 5.1, right?
Not necessarily, but it might.

I have no idea what op-amps are:p, care to explain:D
Op-amp is short for operational amplifier. It's a little chip found in many electronic devices that is used to do signal amplification of some sort. In the Zero, op-amps are responsible for amplification and thus affect the sound quality. Thankfully, you can swap the op-amps for other brands and models and alter the sound.

More on the Zero and op-amp-swapping here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/review-zero-24-bit-192khz-dac-headphone-amp-pre-amp-269458/

Last edited:
Triggered by my job and some happenings of late, I thought why not open a thread dedicated to everything related to audio matters?!

Speakers? Amps? DIY? CD-Players? Tapedecks? Instruments? Guitar amps? PC-audio-hardware? ...

Everything audio-related can go in here, may it be questions, problems, advice-seeking or -giving, or just general discussion. I will not be able to answer all questions that may come up (especially regarding instruments), but as there are some musicians around, I think pretty much everyone should be able to get help here. Of course, everyone is welcome to ask questions as well as to give answers.

Post away! :)

EDIT: Just wanted to throw in that I basically am the man for DIY speakers and stereo hifi. I'll do my best to help you in other matters as well, but I won't guarantee.

Great threat mate :D

So i was wondering, which soundcard is best for these, i know they're not that great but i need a better soundcard than my crappy built-in one!
joeann@113.jpg

I figured I'd use this thread to show off the speakers I built

finishedstack1.jpg

finishedstack2.jpg

frontlight.jpg

frontdark.jpg

rearlight.jpg

(sixth speaker is currently not in use, due to positioning issues)
Subwoofer is coming... some day.

So i was wondering, which soundcard is best for these, i know they're not that great but i need a better soundcard than my crappy built-in one!
joeann@113.jpg
I only see 4 satellites - is that a 4.1 system, or is the center just missing on the picture?

In terms of multichannel soundcards, you can pretty much buy all the Creative 5.1 Soundblaster's and X-FI's, the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 or the Terratec Aureon 5.1.

I figured I'd use this thread to show off the speakers I built
What kind of kit is that? I can't nail it...

Last edited:
It's not a kit... it's based off a design by John "Zaph" Krutke, the ZBM4
That's an excellent kit, not only in relation to the price. Good choice! How did you come across it?

That's an excellent kit, not only in relation to the price. Good choice! How did you come across it?

Lot's of research, trawling different audio forums, reading different articles, lot's of diyaudio.com

But yeah, I'm really happy with them in terms of sound quality, though they definitely will need a subwoofer to help them. A friend and I want to build one each together, but we have yet to come up with a final design to build. As a matter of fact he's bugging me about it right now. :D

Last edited:
I only see 4 satellites - is that a 4.1 system, or is the center just missing on the picture?

In terms of multichannel soundcards, you can pretty much buy all the Creative 5.1 Soundblaster's and X-FI's, the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 or the Terratec Aureon 5.1.

Thanks Interceptor :D yes it's a 4.1 it's called "Creative Inspire M4500"

But yeah, I'm really happy with them in terms of sound quality, though they definitely will need a subwoofer to help them. A friend and I want to build one each together, but we have yet to come up with a final design to build. As a matter of fact he's bugging me about it right now. :D
I might be able to help you guys with that. What's your budget? And what is the sub for? Music? Surround? How large is the room?
Thanks Interceptor :D yes it's a 4.1 it's called "Creative Inspire M4500"
Hmmm strange - this system is not being offered here. I only found the 2.1 and the 5.1 version.