the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

So very tempted to buy an Anthem MRX-900

You would hear sound from all four, yes. Depending on your specific hardware you may run into trouble due to cutting the impedance in half when running two speakers in parallel.

Ok, so I got these Mission 780s, they were being thrown away and they looked to good to be just tossed. So I took them, got them home and they did't work at all.

Opened up the back, all the wires had been cut, so had a little soldering session yesterday, both tweeters work, no woofer, checked all my wiring, all good, checked the connections, all good.

Took the woofers out, both look good as new, neither work. I have done some googling, it's a manafacturing defect :(

Do you have any experience with headphones/headsets?

Looking to buy a headphone with mic combo that can outdo my MDR-V600s in sound quality, but so far no dice, all the specs I've seen are inferior...

Jerry's has a Sony PS-FL7 for sale right now. I'm kinda really tempted to get it.

Thoughts?

Looks like any mic I put in my front case jacks records what's playing on the PC, on lower volume. Rear mobo jacks look to work properly. What could it be?

Looks like any mic I put in my front case jacks records what's playing on the PC, on lower volume. Rear mobo jacks look to work properly. What could it be?

I'm still convinced that somewhere there is a listen feature thats checked off for that particular jack. Look into all the settings it gives you under Recording devices - the mic and the Stereo Mix (I once had an issue that the stereo mix would echo everything my lappy was playing).
Also check the audio driver software? I know my Realtek Audio Manager gives me options to control the 3 jacks in my laptop individually.

So I think I want to buy a new headset, as my current one is a little flakey after being abused by the dog regularly. I basically want the best I can get for under $50, preferably USB, and won't make my ears hot. I used to want a Amdahl amount if sound to get in do I can hear my girlfriend if she talks to me, but now that Glee is back on the air, isolation is good.

Last edited:
Guys, friend wants a circumaural headset, preferably for gaming but not crappy for music either, budget is around 100$ (finally got a refund from several RMA'd Corsair headsets). I was thinking of Senns but with that budget and the need for a mic I'm out of my depth, any help?

edit: a bit of google fu led me to Sennheiser PC330, within budget and not too shabby looking, thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm getting tired of constantly switching back and forth between my good headphones and a cheap headset, so I'm in the market for a good circumaural headset, too. Anything good out there for $40-80? (The PC330s Blayde mentioned are $125, for comparison. A bit too much for me!) My priorities are comfort and audio quality for listening to music.

So I think I'm ready to upgrade my Sennheiser 558's to include a headphone amp.
I'm super happy with them, I love the natural bass falloff and they're supremely comfortable. What lets them down is the input.

The guy at the store I bought them from recommended the Musical Fidelity V-CAN as a headphone amp, saying that the 558's paired with that would sound pretty good for some time.
The only problem is I'm not sure how much to trust MF as I can't find them in any store APART from that one. Does anyone have any experience with them/any suggestions for a nice, fairly entry level amp?

After getting a new PC and display, I'm thinking the audio side of my computer could use some upgrading too. So far I'm using a Sennheiser PC151 with the onboard sound.
Questions:
1) Any suggestions for headsets with good audio quality? Price up to 200?, I'd say. I'd probably default to another Sennheiser (PC360?), but I'm open to other recommendations.
2) Should I get a dedicated soundcard to get the best out of a better headset? Suggestions for those would be appreciated as well, since I have no clue what's good and what's not.

After getting a new PC and display, I'm thinking the audio side of my computer could use some upgrading too. So far I'm using a Sennheiser PC151 with the onboard sound.
Questions:
1) Any suggestions for headsets with good audio quality? Price up to 200?, I'd say. I'd probably default to another Sennheiser (PC360?), but I'm open to other recommendations.
2) Should I get a dedicated soundcard to get the best out of a better headset? Suggestions for those would be appreciated as well, since I have no clue what's good and what's not.

1) don't know about headsets but i got myself a pair of sennheiser HD558 headphones and they're lovely. if you get a pair that cover your ears completely, you're in heaven - after 10minutes of wearing those i don't even feel them anymore.
2) yes, definitely. even with sort of el-cheapo speakers people can distinguish between onboard sound and a dedicated card (maybe not all of them, but with so much money riding on a headset, i'd definitely go that way).
... i still have an ESI prodigy nrg soundcard in my PC which isn't actually used anymore (~13months old) - just in case you're interested ;)