the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

I haven’t seen the need to have one headphone do both to be honest, but yeah looking for other brands that do that yield nothing.

I really like open back for most things, but can't use them on a plane, or in bed when the person next to me is trying to sleep. In my last job, I would have loved to have open-backs when I could use then but then put on the covers when a colleague came in to work near me, and just thought it would be nice to always have both formats available at any moment without needing to carry two sets.

I just want analog VU meters on everything please.
39618849-E2D0-4812-954A-7211F1230023.jpeg

Power and VU combined is even better. I don't have analogue meters but I like my dancing LEDS as an 80s alternative.
IMG_3397_S1920.jpg

This Atelier C1 does a lovely job of recording cassettes and I still love the design.

I'm looking for a simple RCA stereo audio mixer that has 4-6 inputs, a single output and allows analogue volume control with muting. Seems like it would be simple to find but I'm struggling. I currently have one of these:

1655766005050.png

And it does its job fine but the knobs are too small, the form factor is a bit crap, I want more inputs and it lacks an on/off or muting switch for each input. I have my second PC connected, a direct feed from my T2 radio, a record output from my amplifier and now my TV so I can hear game audio through my speakers while it also goes out through HDMI. I'm out of inputs and having to turn them down when I have the levels set nicely is annoying, especially with these fiddly knobs.

Any ideas? Ideally something I can mount under my desk. I'll consider rackmount stuff.

Edit: Literally this in stereo would do the job, ideally with more inputs though and not XLR. Maybe looking less homemade.
1655769029064.png

Last edited:
I'm looking for a simple RCA stereo audio mixer that has 4-6 inputs, a single output and allows analogue volume control with muting. Seems like it would be simple to find but I'm struggling. I currently have one of these:

View attachment 3565398

And it does its job fine but the knobs are too small, the form factor is a bit crap, I want more inputs and it lacks an on/off or muting switch for each input. I have my second PC connected, a direct feed from my T2 radio, a record output from my amplifier and now my TV so I can hear game audio through my speakers while it also goes out through HDMI. I'm out of inputs and having to turn them down when I have the levels set nicely is annoying, especially with these fiddly knobs.

Any ideas? Ideally something I can mount under my desk. I'll consider rackmount stuff.

Edit: Literally this in stereo would do the job, ideally with more inputs though and not XLR. Maybe looking less homemade.View attachment 3565401

The problem with audio mixers is they're not really designed around being all stereo channels like a home stereo receiver, because that's what it sounds like you need, but those don't have discreet volume setting for each channel. The majority of mixers that are used will have a majority of mono channels (using XLR typically) with 1/4" on the side but almost never used. What you'll probably have to do, to get more than 1 or 2 stereo channels on a mixer is deal with some waste or just deal with tying up two discreet channels, then panning each one as left and right.

to solve the issue of using 1/4" connections, you get these:

1655777737244.png

I did find from an old brand I used to use often is this Mackie Mix12FX. Has 4 stereo channels and 4 XLR/1/4" mono channels. https://mackie.com/en/products/mixers/mix-series/mix12fx.html

Actually, DJ mixers would be what I think you're looking for. While DJ mixers do not have mute typically, you can set crossfading to the other channel in effect having a mute option...

The problem is, reliable units are expensive because they're tools for work.

View attachment 3565398

Edit: Literally this in stereo would do the job, ideally with more inputs though and not XLR. Maybe looking less homemade.View attachment 3565401
Something like this, perhaps? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...6-channel-stereo-mixer-with-dual-zone-outputs
It even has RCA inputs.

They have an 8-channel mixer as well, though you would need to convert to 1/4" inputs. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MX822--art-mx822-stereo-rackmount-mixer

Thanks for the ideas both. I have some of those 1/4" RCA adapters already as the Behringer DAC I bought needed those, it was a POS though so I don't use it any more. I've been looking at Eurorack mixers and such for a while as I liked the idea of having a little Eurorack cabinet in front of me for mixers and then a few synth modules, having to deal with dual mono was too much of a pain though as I'd never be exactly happy with the balance. :p

The MX624 looks pretty close to ideal, it's a bit overkill but maybe having the dual zoning would be useful, it certainly does what I want. I don't have a rack but it would fit under the TV here. If it was bi-directional it could also replace the audio splitter I have under the desk, maybe there's another that does that. I think the 8-channel mixer is the one LGR has in his MIDI tower, looks good but lacks the toggle for inputs.

I'd build my own but I'm not confident with wiring audio cables without accidentally introducing a load of noise.

Looking at similar options, I might get a DAP-Audio IMIX-7.3 or TASCAM MZ-223.
1655810707265.png

1655810342801.png

Both have 5 slidy controls for RCA inputs with output selectors for three outputs, so either device can replace my mini mixer and my powered output splitter. It would also replace my headphone level controller and includes PFL/master selection. The DAP is cheaper and has an additional AUX input, plus it looks a bit nicer to me.

I don't care much about level meters but it doesn't hurt to have them, the main output goes to my PC line in so it would be handy to see what's going on before enabling the input in software. They'll both wedge in at an angle on my desk I think if I cut out a space for them. :p

They both also allow me to bypass the Braun amplifier if I want to record from my P1 turntable with their phono inputs, which is nice too as the amp is old and can sometimes be crackly, then feed that back into the amp either through the PC or directly from the monitor output if the PC is off.

Edit: Whoops my finger slipped, I ordered the DAP. Will get to designing some 2U 3D printed brackets to angle it at 45 degrees.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hok
This could go in several places I suppose but here is fine. The DAP mixer arrived and is all set up, so far I'm very happy with it. Here's what I did.

Knowing that I wanted it right in front of me I modified an existing 2U rackmount model to make it a 45 degree mount for a flat surface.

The mixer arrived today so I measured out the hole I needed cut and and cut it out with my 'wiggle saw' oscillating tool. It ain't a pretty cut but it worked well enough and it was never going to cause any damage to anything.

Screwed down by 4 screws on each side.

Unbolted from the mounts so I could connect everything up, inputs then outputs.

I bought it from Thomann and they kindly sent me a UK kettle lead for a device that doesn't use a kettle lead...

Fortunately I still have this adapter from my Denon amp, for once I was smart enough to remove it before putting the amp in the loft. I even knew where to find it. 5A fuse left in.

TV pulled forward, all set up and working nicely. Input 1 is from my second PC, 2 is from my T2 radio tuner, 3 is the record output from the C1 cassette player, 4 is the audio from the TV and 5 is the audio from the DAC plugged in to my main PC. Master output 1 is the line in for my main PC, master 2 is the amplifier and speakers and 3 is currently headphones as I need a longer 3.5mm cable. The headphone out works perfectly though and has independent volume control. Being able to re-route audio straight to the amp if the PC is turned off was another feature I wanted.

Just for fun I connected up this old Walkman to the aux input on the front, a very handy feature the TASCAM was missing. The output can be selected, here it's just going straight to the amplifier but I turned on output 1 and recorded a sample too, this cassette was recorded with the C1 and it's very good.

I'm going to see if I can get dust covers for the mic XLRs as I really won't be using them much and don't want them ruined by the time I do.

I'm about 2 months into regular walking, and *need* some better earphones if I'm going to continue. Ha!

Requirements:
1) Wired.
2) Ether passive or active "ambient" sound pass-through. I need to hear my surroundings, as my walking path takes me across traffic and through a "downtown".
3) some sort of over-ear retention design. Whether it's a rubber hook, or the cable going over and behind the ear, it doesn't matter. Lots of earbuds don't stay in my ears. Just in the last 2 months, I've destroyed two wireless earbuds because they popped out and hit the concrete, and even destroyed a wired set of Samsung earbuds that came with my Note 9, because one popped out, and its own weight was enough that it pulled the other earbud out, and I ended up stepping on one of them trying to avoid stepping on the other.

I'm down to the purple ones that came with a 1st gen Roku, which sound like pushing audio through a Game Gear speaker in a Solo cup, u set a blanket.

Any thoughts?

I'm about 2 months into regular walking, and *need* some better earphones if I'm going to continue. Ha!

Requirements:
1) Wired.
2) Ether passive or active "ambient" sound pass-through. I need to hear my surroundings, as my walking path takes me across traffic and through a "downtown".
3) some sort of over-ear retention design. Whether it's a rubber hook, or the cable going over and behind the ear, it doesn't matter. Lots of earbuds don't stay in my ears. Just in the last 2 months, I've destroyed two wireless earbuds because they popped out and hit the concrete, and even destroyed a wired set of Samsung earbuds that came with my Note 9, because one popped out, and its own weight was enough that it pulled the other earbud out, and I ended up stepping on one of them trying to avoid stepping on the other.

I'm down to the purple ones that came with a 1st gen Roku, which sound like pushing audio through a Game Gear speaker in a Solo cup, u set a blanket.

Any thoughts?
Would something like this work?
Amazon linky

Would something like this work?
Amazon linky

I've found a few around that price range that seem like they could work, form factor-wise, and those seem like they could work well. The low low price makes me dubious of the sound quality, but maybe worth the risk. Currently going to school full-time with no income, so trying to keep to "buy once cry once" when I can, and I think $50 is my ceiling. For that set, though, none of the review I find give much praise to sound quality beyond "great sound for music and phone calls"

I've found a few around that price range that seem like they could work, form factor-wise, and those seem like they could work well. The low low price makes me dubious of the sound quality, but maybe worth the risk. Currently going to school full-time with no income, so trying to keep to "buy once cry once" when I can, and I think $50 is my ceiling. For that set, though, none of the review I find give much praise to sound quality beyond "great sound for music and phone calls"
I think about anything will have better sound quality than the Roku earphones, but I think overall sound quality might be limited within the options that tick all your boxes.

I've had good results with Comply foams keeping earbuds in (unless I catch the wire on something) but of course you're blocking even more outside noise. I don't know of any earbuds with active passthrough of outside noise (if they exist I suspect they'd be quite pricey).

There seem to be some wireless options with over-the-ear hooks, and an open design. Bose has one example, though well over $50; they might be a starting point for finding a cheaper option.

Anyone have any opinions on ELAC Debut B6.2 speakers or ELAC in general?

1665587184905.png

I'm getting random resonance and crackling from the old TEAC speakers I'm using, I can't pin it down but when I watch or listen to something and a voice is at just the right frequency, it will go on for some time. It could be the amp but it's impossible to tell as it's so random.

I've been considering an upgrade for some time, I was going to get a Klipsch pair but reviews said they're room fillers and too much to have on a desk right in front of you. The ELACs are more suited to tabletop use, apparently. Reviews say they are good until cranked to high volume, where they lose some of the low frequencies. I'm not going to do that.

They are 6 Ohm, the same as the LS-1560s so my Atelier A1 should handle them fine at normal volumes. Because I have the amp, I don't want to pay extra for an active pair.

Last edited:
If you're unhappy I can throw eggs at their windows, HQ is a 20min walk from here.
:LOL:

I'm not unhappy at all but they're expensive speakers, if it'll get me a discount go for it. Or if you just need to vent in some way.

:LOL:

I'm not unhappy at all but they're expensive speakers, if it'll get me a discount go for it. Or if you just need to vent in some way.
Oh no doubt, small German companies with a long and illustrious history aren't known for "cheap". I'm sure you'll get a good product, no clue if it matches your idea of value for money.

Anyone have any opinions on ELAC Debut B6.2 speakers or ELAC in general?

I don't have any personal experience with them but ELAC in general is very well-regarded.

Before I decided to go with powered monitors ELAC was definitely on my list of possible options.

If you go with them I'm definitely curious to know what you think of them.