The iPad

Played with one of the new iPads in a store today, it was pretty nice but given I don't use my iPad for anything that is memory heavy/needs the screen to be perfect (and I don't wear my glasses when using it anyway), I will probably hold out for the next gen.

Looks like the sales aren't going crazy either- was speaking to a salesperson at jb hi-fi (electronics superstore) in my area, and he said they have plenty of stock, especially of the "4G" models (given it isn't compatible with our minimal 4G network over here I'm not too surprised). This same store sold out within 45 minutes with the iPad 2 and didn't have reliable stock levels until July, so pretty big difference...
I wonder if it's an Australia thing it was pretty crazy here to the point where FedEx and ups couldn't actually deliver all on time. I think the preorders might have taken most of the early adopters.

Been using dictation as well and it works quite well especially if you consider that I have a Russian accent.

Well, I went into the apple store today and there was tons left on the "quick buy" counter. Lots of people walking out with one, but still quite a lot left. So I think they are still selling well, but not as much as they did last time. The fact that Apple has actually been well prepared in advance this time just emphasises that there is stock left.

And pre-orders aren't that popular here, especially given the reliability and quality of the postal services in my area- still waiting on 2 "pre-orders" for other items that are now readily available in store here!!!!!

I will admit, one of the main reasons I felt I could save and go with an i4 instead of the 4S was because nobody would be able to tell the difference at a glance :lol:

You can tell the difference pretty quickly actually, the antenna design is different :p

/nerd

I'm going to have to see one once they arrive here in Denmark, this screens has got me quite interested :)

impossibru.png

Used an iPad for the first time last night. Personally, I don't see what's the big fuss about it..

Me neither until I needed a device that could read and annotate PDF lecture notes and assignment. Quick and snappy for web surfing and reading no doubt, not to mention a genuine 10 hour battery life with the WIFI and screen on for most of the time. I'm probably using it more than I would usually do because my laptop has a whopping hour and a bit of battery life and the noisy fan and heat drives me nuts!

I did get to play around with the new one and I will have to admit the screen is beautiful. With the bigger battery, I'm sure the WIFI model will easily last for 12-15 hours. My only complaint with the new iPad is that they didn't really introduce anything new to iOS which is starting to feel a little boring. It's still probably the best tablet in the $499 price range though.

What app do you use for annotating PDFs? Notability?

Used an iPad for the first time last night. Personally, I don't see what's the big fuss about it..

Aside from what Wizegui said its a good on the go entertainment and "light computing" device. For instance I load up my Google Reader feed in an app (downloads everything for offline use) before getting on the train in the morning and I can read all of it by the time I get to work. iPhone works for it as well but since I follow a decent amount of web comics small screen is not ideal for them. If you read regular comics tablets are quite nice too if you don't feel like carrying all the paper. Obviously games and videos go without saying :)

On a somewhat different note I'll be taking it on vacation with the camera adaptor kit and iPhoto app so that I could load all the pictures on it and decide what to post right then in there w/o having to carry my 15" MBP (big and heavy with less battery life).

I use GoodReader fot that purpose, it's very good (no pun intended).

Does it allow you to draw on the file? Also, how do you load PDFs onto the iPad?

Does it allow you to draw on the file? Also, how do you load PDFs onto the iPad?

Yes, it does. You can draw freely using a finger or a stylus, or use forms and typed text. I tend to do both.

Dropbox, all my university stuff is in there. Sometimes I download the lecture slides directly on the iPad in the first place - but then it'll also end up in the Dropbox eventually.

They both seem to be popular. Sometimes I wish Apple did refunds like Google play store so I could try the app out first.

I will admit, one of the main reasons I felt I could save and go with an i4 instead of the 4S was because nobody would be able to tell the difference at a glance :lol:

To me thats an advantage - good compatability with previous accessories and theives will have a hard time telling them apart. I have been carrying mine around in my old iPad 2 case and even though its a different colour no one has spotted that i have the new iPad which, to me, is good.

Last edited:
What app do you use for annotating PDFs? Notability?

I am currently using iAnnotate. Definitely worth the money if you need an app that allows you to draw or make notes on pdf files. You can open the files from the Dropbox/Box app or even from Safari.

I really need something where I can download the pdf, annotate it, then get it onto my computer (with drawings and annotations) later when at home.

Edit - just saw notability is 0.99 atm.

Last edited:
To me thats an advantage - good compatability with previous accessories and theives will have a hard time telling them apart. I have been carrying mine around in my old iPad 2 case and even though its a different colour no one has spotted that i have the new iPad which, to me, is good.
Thiefs don't care if its gen 1, 2 or 3 when you sell stolen goods you net pure profit :)

I have noticed apps are crashing on the new ipad more than my old ipad 2 on 5.0.1

Last edited: