The iPad

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
Guess I might as well put it here... finally enabled LTE on my iPad below the results:
Manhattan - traditionally terrible for speeds too many people/devices 3G was around 1/5th of the speed there (didn't take a pic)
530345_10100130483626805_24411226_39733225_1014153002_n.jpg

Brooklyn - much better as you can see, didn't bother checking 3G usually 1-2Mbps down.
530979_10100130570652405_24411226_39733440_886944941_n.jpg

nsx_23

Forum Addict
Max Payne on iOS

I'm still waiting for Mass Effect to drop in price. Picked up Dead Space when it was 0.99 and it was awesome.

leviathan

Snores like a puppy
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
Google is bringing Chrome to the iPad (and other iOS devices) today! I need it, like, now. Even though it'll have to use the Safari WebKit engine, I finally get finally proper bookmarks, passwords, basically everything synced between all my devices.

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Google is bringing Chrome to the iPad (and other iOS devices) today! I need it, like, now. Even though it'll have to use the Safari WebKit engine, I finally get finally proper bookmarks, passwords, basically everything synced between all my devices.

You can do that with Safari if you are using it on desktop :p

leviathan

Snores like a puppy
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
You can do that with Safari if you are using it on desktop :p

Safari on Windows is simply the worst. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it only syncs when I connect the iDevice to sync with iTunes - with Chrome, the cloud sync is instantaneous. I can pick up my device at any moment, open any tab that's open on my PC and continue doing whatever I was doing. Also, sync with Chrome on Android.

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Safari on Windows is simply the worst. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it only syncs when I connect the iDevice to sync with iTunes - with Chrome, the cloud sync is instantaneous. I can pick up my device at any moment, open any tab that's open on my PC and continue doing whatever I was doing. Also, sync with Chrome on Android.
I'm trying to use Safari on both Win and Mac right now (normally I use Chrome), so far its OKish... It syncs bookmarks and reading list over iCloud (if you have it enabled) and it is instantaneous but doesn't sync tabs yet. Mountain Lion is supposed to add tab sync across devices but I'm not 100% on whether it will work with iOS right away or only after iOS6 comes out. That's kind of the reason I'm trying to see if I can get used to Safari, there are a few nifty features that work between iOS and Mountain Lion that I find useful. Tab sync is one of them (bit moot now unless it's offline in Safari vs Chrome) and offline reading list is the other, its pretty useful to be able to add stuff to reading list from the puter and be able to pull it up from the iPad. One thing I'm not sure on the latter is whether it will be downloading the list in the background or if I would have to at least open Safari to get all the stuff to DL for use offline.

Chrome does sync extensions across PC's so that's one nifty feature. One thing I found is that tab sync only works if both devices are on and connected, so I can't just open a tab I had on my laptop that is on suspend on my other laptop or the Mini or w/e. So it's not ideal at the moment.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack B8
Chrome for iOS, not bad.

Of course, you can't change default browser in iOS. I've tried different browsers but I always end up browsing stuff in Safari anyway beacuse of links from twitter etc.

leviathan

Snores like a puppy
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
Chrome does sync extensions across PC's so that's one nifty feature. One thing I found is that tab sync only works if both devices are on and connected, so I can't just open a tab I had on my laptop that is on suspend on my other laptop or the Mini or w/e. So it's not ideal at the moment.

Interesting, that works fine with me - I updated Chrome on my Macbook a couple of hours ago and turned it off. Just installed Chrome on the iPad when it appeared in the App Store, I can open the tabs that were last synced from the Macbook as well as those from my PC (active) and One S (in standby).

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack B8
I downloaded chrome for both my iphone and ipad, and neither of them accepts my google account password. WTF?

leviathan

Snores like a puppy
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
I downloaded chrome for both my iphone and ipad, and neither of them accepts my google account password. WTF?

Do you have two-factor authorisation set up? I have, and I had to first enter the "normal" password, and then an app-specific password in addition to that (same as in desktop Chrome sync).

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack B8
No, I just have a normal password.

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack B8
I turned off chrome sync in Google Dashboard, waited for the system to erase all my synced settings and and enabled it again. Computers first, iDevices after that. Now it works. Strange.

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Interesting, that works fine with me - I updated Chrome on my Macbook a couple of hours ago and turned it off. Just installed Chrome on the iPad when it appeared in the App Store, I can open the tabs that were last synced from the Macbook as well as those from my PC (active) and One S (in standby).

Yep I just grabbed it and it's working for me as well, it didn't work between PCs when I tested it first time. It's pretty decent, on the phone it's a little cramped but quite good on the iPad.

PacketCollision

Server Admin/Crasher
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
generator on wheels
Yeah, chrome seems pretty good on iOS, it's just too bad that it can neither use the JIT JavaScript engine that safari uses nor use its own, since App Store apps are not allowed to execute writable memory. This means that JavaScript rendering in iOS chrome is noticeably slower than iOS safari, even though it's using the native engine.

The UI makes up for it though in my opinion.

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
I like that it compartmentalizes mobile bookmarks vs desktop bookmarks as opposed to Safari that will just sync everything.

PacketCollision

Server Admin/Crasher
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
generator on wheels
The biggest feature for me is the omnibar. I don't realize how much I rely on it until I use a browser without it.

The tab switching UI is pretty awesome too. I wish apple would allow different rendering engines, but hopefully even this "browser-lite" will force Apple to innovate more, mobile safari has been stuck in a rut since it came out.

Last edited:

brydie76

Viva Las Clarksonistas!
Car(s)
2012 Suzuki Swift Sport/Aprilia Sportcity 200
soooo... just destroyed the top 1/4 of my screen with my knee. Anybody know when the iPad 4 will be out?? :lol:

Misrabelle

Got Vegemite?
DONOR
Car(s)
03 Ford Falcon BA XR6, '79 XD Falcon S
Every time I plug my iPad3 into my PC to sync/charge, it just shows not charging, but if I leave it over night it shows that it has charged. My iPhone has no such issue. Annoying!!

Sevs753

Car(s)
'13 Subaru BRZ, '04 GMC Yukon
Every time I plug my iPad3 into my PC to sync/charge, it just shows not charging, but if I leave it over night it shows that it has charged. My iPhone has no such issue. Annoying!!

I think that has something to do with the iPad requiring more power to charge than an iPhone. The power supplied by the usb port on your computer is not enough for the register that it is charging but is in fact very slowly charging it. The iPhone doesn't have this issue because it requires less to charge. I'm not sure im using the right term but i believe it has to do with the Amps that the usb port provides (or lack thereof).

killpanda

wants to fondle your manboobs
You've pretty much nailed it, the iPad 1 & 2 required a 10W USB port, the iPad 3 & 4 actually require 12W.