The iPhone\Touch Help thread

Oh damn, and then you just turn off autolock. Nice!

Problem is though if you accidentally touch it, it'll pause or whatever. Plus, double-tapping the home button isn't too hard, although it requires taking it out to look at it. :(

Hi guys!

I'm looking for a specific cable for the iPhone and I figured I'll try this thread first, before opening a new one.

Basically I want to connect the iPhone to my car stereo for charging and audio-out. I could use a standard usb-dock connector cable and then a seperate cable wich plugs into the 3.5mm jack at the top of the device. Just using the dock connector would be a lot easier and cleaner though. So basically I'm looking for a cable that has the dock connector on one end and then audio out (preferably via composite, although a 3.5mm jack would be ok too) AND usb on the other end. Does anybody know if such a cable exists? Because if it does, I have not been able to find it.

So far I've come up with two alternatives.

#1:
Buy the Apple AV-Cable. It's kind of pricey though, considering that I don't need the video out. Although I could use it for my purposes and just not connect the video jack, correct?
I could also buy a video-in adapter for my satnav and use the video out from the iPhone, but I don't feel like spending ~200 dollars for something I will rarely use.
#2:
Buy a Dock Extender Cable, connect it to the iPhone, put the original Dock in the glove box and then connect USB and audio to the dock. That would be a lot of cable clutter in my glove box though...

I'm not entirely happy with either solution. Does anyone have a better idea?

Don't buy a generic USB charger, get the Apple one. I think they even have a car charger.

I bought a thing you plug into the wall and it spits out a USB port / current, but my stupid iPod is too smart and won't charge. It charges my sister's simple MP3 player just fine though. :rolleyes:

On another note, I updated to 1.1.4 and jailbroke via ZPhone. Handly little app -- it now has my approval over the old manual methods.

There is some discussion about ziphone though, as it downgrades you Bootloader which can't be reversed as of now. iPlus supposedly does that differently. Dunno...

Also, there are some horror Stories that wrongly specified plug for the connector might damage the Pod/Phone... Dunno as well...

There is some discussion about ziphone though, as it downgrades you Bootloader which can't be reversed as of now. iPlus supposedly does that differently. Dunno...

Yeah, I'm just talking about jailbreaking. I have no experience with unlocking nor do I vouch for ZiPhone for doing that.

I stumbled over a website today that re-news the exterior of your iPhone/iTouch (except the glass screen) and - more importantly - gives it either a golden (ghastly) or matt black (stunning) finnish, using some aluminium-oxide-stuff.

We set out to create the finest handset in the world. iPhone Custom transforms the Apple iPhone into a showcase of style and technology, redesigned with the finest raw materials known to man.

Aluminum, known for its high strength-to-weight ratio makes an exceptional material for mobile devices. The fun starts when a 15 micron thickness is transformed through anodizing into aluminum oxide AKA sapphire; known to be second only to diamond in its hardness and durability. Nanometer sized sapphire crystals protect the underlying aluminum from the outside world. Treated to achieve a deep matt-black finish, this housing accentually ties the rear of the device together.

Stainless steel was commissioned for the more ostentatious front bezel and rear logo. Utilized for demanding applications such as knife edges and fine time pieces, stainless steel is an impressive material. But this wasn't enough. The iPhone Custom is the first smart phone in the world treated with Titanium Nitride / Titanium Aluminum Nitride. Creating the hardest surface treatment ever.

Prizes are quite steep with $299 for the iPhone-job, but I seriously consider doing this when mine will be a bit worn out in a few months time. I think it looks utterly great:

BlackiPhone.jpg

Black2.jpg

http://www.gigapascal.com/Buy.html

Yeah, seen it. Pretty sweet, but a ton of money.