The lack of employment/Laid off/Thread

Well, it's official. After 10 and a half years working for one of the world's largest telecommunications companies, I am now unemployed.

Next month will be my last in California - once I get my severance pay, I'm getting a new car and moving back to New England in November to be close to my family.

Geeze, sorry to hear that :(

That's okay. I knew this was coming since April, so I had plenty of time.

The thing that sucks is that this was my second office closure since working for my company. In 2003 they closed the office I was working at in San Francisco, forcing me to move to Sacramento.

Oh well, at least I'm getting a generous buyout from them.

And it sounds like you really want to go be close to your family? That sounds pretty important (and a good thing to do, especially if the family is sicklier/older). It's what my Dad and Stepmom have done since they got married. They moved closer to her Dad when he was more sickly and then after he departed they have now moved closer to his mom since her husband died a couple of years ago (and she is in her 80s).

(That is also part of the reason why I'm still where I sort of am and why I am in this northern part and not elsewhere, sometimes I really am the only person who can help out of all of her relatives.)

I do. My adopted parents are both in their seventies and my dad just had a stroke last year.

My birth mom is still in good health (She's only 61) but I just got in contact with her two years ago. So I want to spend more time with her and my brothers and sisters, getting to know them all.

And plus, New Hampshire just feels like home in a way that California doesn't - even after 20 years out here.

Yeah, that's definitely a good reason. It's interesting talking to people who have moved here to CA from the East and the South and nearly all of them go back because California was never for them in the first place. Someone I talked to lived in San Diego for a while, but absolutely hated it and moved back to South Carolina. I also know someone who moved up to this area also from SC and he's moving back there soon. I can't say I blame them, but I'm one of those who has lived here half of my life and I was born here and so were my parents minus my Stepmom. In CA, it's really a different culture that isn't for everyone, that is for sure. (I lived in Vegas for a few years, that's also a very odd place to live, haha.)

I think I'd be OK living wherever just because I have lived in extremes- Up in the mountains, in the deserts, near the coasts. :lol: I don't know if my Dad expects me to always live near him since he's always dropping weird hints such as, "Oh you're going to have to take care of me when I'm old" and etc.

The odd thing is that I've also talked to people (various people) from Oklahoma that seem to love living in California. :lol:

Bear in mind that doing something constantly can change your perception of it.

Sure, driving all day can be boring, but at least I will be driving to different places and not the same place every day. Plus, even if it is boring, I would prefer it to being stressed.

Well, good news. No job has gotten back to me but I was approved for Unemployment benefits! Huzzah...

I r another burden on society ;3 :love:

Soo...turns out that because I didn't apply for the pharm tech position outright, I have to change my application to reflect that....too bad I can't do that due to our really annoying application system. I'm left in limbo now...I planned to go to pharm tech training on monday but now I dunno if I'm expected to go or not (I don't even know where it's located in lancaster...) and it's frustrating. My manager's working on it and said that she'll probably put me on front store for a while until everything's straightened out but still...frustrating. I wan't to be out there making money haha.

Well, it's official. After 10 and a half years working for one of the world's largest telecommunications companies, I am now unemployed.

Next month will be my last in California - once I get my severance pay, I'm getting a new car and moving back to New England in November to be close to my family.

Ouch, at least you'll be moving to where you really want to be. Nothing like getting a fresh start. :)

Well, good news. No job has gotten back to me but I was approved for Unemployment benefits! Huzzah...

I r another burden on society ;3 :love:

I'd never be ashamed of taking it, you pay into it, you should use it to tide you over until you get something better! :)

The end of my interest relief is coming up and I haven't heard back from any of the jobs I've replied to. *Starts to freak the hell out*

Always check your PDF'ed resumes before sending! ALWAYS!

I wondered why I didn't hear back from anyone last week. Lo and behold, my resume that I sent out did NOT have the resume in it at all! It only had my letter of recommendation.

Thankfully I caught it before I sent it off to a counter sales position for a bakery a city away. Full time too! Let's see what happens when I use a 100% complete resume file!

I used the reference as an example to show that there exists a common opinion that certain majors in various American universities have programs that simply not challenging and allow students to skate by. This occurs in majors where the shear number of students is so large that the process is streamlined and thus the program suffers. The article makes an example out of the business major but the same can be applied to current programs implemented for psychology and sociology majors.

At UC Santa Cruz, it's anything over 100. 200 and above was reserved for graduate courses.

I forgot about this thread. If you want my rebuttal PM me.

I'll share a bit of my experience, or frustration actually. I've been without a job since April and progress to get a new one has been excruciatingly slow. I worked at a hedge fund, which went bust and left me jobless. I have already 4 years of solid finance experience, but I'm currently in the wrong industry to be left without a job. All banks are currently laying off people by the hunders, if not thousands, so even though I'm willing to move to London or NYC, jobs are hard to come by. I've tried my numerous contacts and headhunters, but everyone is either fully-staffed, or in the middle of a "strategy review," by which they mean that they are sharpening the axe. Most frustrating thing is that I left a very decent job to join the fund, which went bust only 5 months after I joined. Hopefully, things will pick up in September when people return from their holidays.

I've got good news, after several rounds of interviews at different companies I should be signing a new job contract this Thursday and starting on Monday, yay! This should finally end my 6 months of unemployment.

I'd never be ashamed of taking it, you pay into it, you should use it to tide you over until you get something better! :)

For the record, that's not entirely accurate. It depends on where you live. In most states, employers pay unemployment taxes and they are not deducted from employee wages. Based on your location I believe you live in one of the three states in which employees pay unemployment tax. ChelsDS does not.

For the record, that's not entirely accurate. It depends on where you live. In most states, employers pay unemployment taxes and they are not deducted from employee wages. Based on your location I believe you live in one of the three states in which employees pay unemployment tax. ChelsDS does not.

Ahh, gotcha. You learn something new everyday! :D

Lack of money/employment now getting very irritating.

It is slightly worrying that a college education essentially couts for nothing without previous work experience. I've been in higher/further education since 2007 and now get the distinct feeling I'd have been better off if I had just got an awful job at 16.

I'm not sure what else could be holding me back, everyone I know managed to go out and get retail jobs and I can't even land foctory worker possitions. Never even make it to interview, completely re-designed my CV with dad and am avaliable to work at pretty much any time including night shifts and I still struggle.
Also because I am now at college one day a week the jobcentre has to "re-evaluate my claim", so no money this week. Also limits the jobs I can get even further, am aiming to continue at college/uni for the next few years too which is getting in the way. :(

This place diesn't help, the job turnover is veeery slow. Now starting to get a backlog of jobs I have applied for and a lack of new ones to go for, still better than Dumfries though.

because I am now at college one day a week the jobcentre has to "re-evaluate my claim", so no money this week.
That always seemed mental to me. The reason you are going to college is to improve your chances of finding a job. They should be supporting that, not penalising people. Honestly, I really think the UK is so fucked up when it comes to unemployment "benefits" it's untrue. And Brits think people are gagging to enter Britain to sponge off the State because of how wonderful the benefits are? Give me a break.

To give a comparison, Germany and Switzerland pay you something like 80% of your last salary, not 50 quid a week. That means you continue to be able to take part in society, don't lose your house, and continue to buy stuff, keeping the economy moving. If British governments ever investigated why the country always seems to be in recession longer and deeper than comparable European countries, I'm pretty sure they'd find that to be one of the causes.

Also limits the jobs I can get even further
Don't even hint at that to the job centre. Tell them you'd drop the course if you needed to do so to get a job.

Don't even hint at that to the job centre. Tell them you'd drop the course if you needed to do so to get a job.
You have to do that anway, otherwise I'd have to come off JobSeekers. Although in a twisted irony the only reason I can afford to do the course is because I get a fee waiver because I am on JobSeekers Allowance.
I have no problem with the amount of money personaly, I live with my parents so don't have any massive outgoings but when Dad got made redundant a few years ago he got the same amount of money as I get to support a family of 5...

The evaluation couldn't have come at a worse momment either because I just spent the money I'd saved up on a bed and a birthday present for my mother. :rolleyes:

NoNeedForAChestWig said:
And Brits think people are gagging to enter Britain to sponge off the State because of how wonderful the benefits are? Give me a break.
Its fairly easy to do if you really want to, I know quite a few people who live purely on benifits simply because it pays as well as having a job with none of the effort. Of course that is getting harder now, much more difficult to cheat the system.

just noticed that quite a few new stores are opening in the town center including a new Discovery Store. Job applications away!