The lack of employment/Laid off/Thread

Don't worry, I don't have bad news regarding my job...

But I am considering looking around at the job landscape again. I like my coworkers, like, a lot. But I don't like being screamed at (a customer not understanding that we couldn't set up her printer broke the proverbial straw) for things beyond my control and I still can't shake a twinge of nervousness when returning to the phones or starting my shift. I also don't like the feeling of helplessness when I've run out of options to solve a problem or can't find the answer I need.

While I like the money, I think I'd like a job that's more "calm." At least the income is good enough that I can take my time and find a new gig eventually, or maybe switch departments to something internal facing instead of customer facing.

Such is the nature of support. I just have to disconnect myself emotionally sometimes.

That's true, I used to have to deal with that a lot when I was working at AT&T. The thing you have to keep telling yourself that they're not really mad at you, personally - just the situation or sometimes your company.

One of the things I've noticed here in New Hampshire is that a lot of companies are requiring a college degree. But these are for jobs that don't really pay that well - usually $9-10 per hour. How is somebody expected to survive and pay off their student loans at a job that pays $20,000 a year? That makes no sense to me.

Such is the nature of support. I just have to disconnect myself emotionally sometimes.

Yep, same here. I love my job, but sometimes......

Yeah, i've been trying to remember that....:)

That's true, I used to have to deal with that a lot when I was working at AT&T. The thing you have to keep telling yourself that they're not really mad at you, personally - just the situation or sometimes your company.

One of the things I've noticed here in New Hampshire is that a lot of companies are requiring a college degree. But these are for jobs that don't really pay that well - usually $9-10 per hour. How is somebody expected to survive and pay off their student loans at a job that pays $20,000 a year? That makes no sense to me.

Plenty here require a degree and it made my job search frustrating. Also to answer that loan bit, you don't. :p

I'm going to keep my job hunting to this thread instead of clogging Random Thoughts. I've found another position that I'd be interested in but it has one catch: It's a 12 month position according to the website. Any opinions on 12 month positions? I assume that if the ad says 12 month position then it'll only be for that long and not permanent? If so, I wonder if it's even worth it to apply, I wouldn't want to get this position only to be jobless in a year. :/ If I applied and got chosen for interview, would it be kosher to ask if this has the chance to turn into a permanent position?

Do you have anything to lose by applying? 12 months is a long time, you'll never know what may happen anywhere. I would ask, but maybe phrase it differently....like i'm sure i'm gonna fit right in and love being here and i'm confident you will be impressed with my work...i'd hope there would be a possibility to stay on beyond 12 months or perhaps be able to transition to a different position etc. Really sell yourself and make yourself appear different and stick out. That's my advice. I find the whole job interview thing to be such a game and the interviewer and interviewee are both full of shit and playing a role. Fuck all that....truly be yourself. I'm sure whomever is conducting the interview will find it more refreshing. Because they've heard the same answers over and over and over again. Don't be another employee number, define yourself. The key is not being arrogant though. Anyways, good luck.

In the US, when one talks about $xx per hour and $xx,xxx a year, is that before or after tax? I'm guessing before?

Just applied for a position at Penn State. Also sent off my child abuse clearance paperwork.

Now, to get my fingerprints done for FBI.

Thread bump: I have a phone interview with Penn State today. I think.

I lost my phone on Thursday and found it on Friday to find out that they called 2x. They left one voicemail mentioning the phone interview today. Even tthough it was after hours I called back and left a message on the directors voicemail apologizing for missing the call earlier, providing my number and thanking them for the opportunity.

So now I wait. I'm not sure if I should call them if I don't get a call in a few hours but here goes. I moved a pto day for this to ensure I'd be free for then.

I got a interview: It was a committee interview held over the phone. All of them were scenario or "tell me about a time" questions which I get nervous about. Hopefully I did well. It's also done in rounds of interviews so i'll have to pass a 2nd round of interviewing later.

Last edited:
All of them were scenario or "tell me about a time" questions which I get nervous about. Hopefully I did well. It's also done in rounds of interviews so i'll have to pass a 2nd round of interviewing later.

Behavioral interviews can go jump off a cliff. "Tell me about a time when you tried to do something but failed, then tried again and succeeded." Got that exact question once, did not get the job attached to it. Good luck though!

Behavioral interviews can go jump off a cliff. "Tell me about a time when you tried to do something but failed, then tried again and succeeded." Got that exact question once, did not get the job attached to it. Good luck though!

Yup, that was fun, not. Thanks for the well wishes!

Just sent off the first job application in my process to search for a new job. I have answered to several contacts by headhunters over the last few months, but despite getting some interviews, I had no luck. So now I'm starting to actively search for a better company than the one I am employed by now...

Last edited:
You don't happen to master proven technologies (read: old shit - Cobol, Natural, etc.), do you?

You don't happen to master proven technologies (read: old shit - Cobol, Natural, etc.), do you?
I'm quite capable to work with old shit that no one else even knows. But I guess you don't have to offer anything in my area...

If you're stuck there then that's going to be tough. Depending on the customer you sometimes might be close, but that's hard to control.

Who still uses any of those? and what would be the point in learning them today?