The lack of employment/Laid off/Thread

Update: I've got a job offer! :dance:

Of course being me, it has some drawbacks:

It's in fact CVS, although this time I'd be working in the Pharmacy. I've always had trepidation working in the pharmacy part of the store (i've done it twice) as it's very much a fast paced environment. Looking in the waiting bins for people's stuff has seemed overwhelming at times. The question is, can I handle it...or will I fold up like a cheap suit?

Good news: it's 20 hours a week. I need to see how it'll fit into my schedule but it's more than what the security kiosk position offers.

I told her I should know about work study by the end of the week, monday at the latest...(giving myself valuable time to think about the security kiosk position)

I really don't know which to choose? :S

If you do choose the pharmacy, this thread could be a good place to vent/regale others with tales of stupid customers.

If you do choose the pharmacy, this thread could be a good place to vent/regale others with tales of stupid customers.

Haha thanks, some of those stories are awesome! Yeah I bet I'll be taking a look there, along with a Facebook group that I'm a part of devoted to life at the 3 lettered pharmacy chain. I'm pretty much sure I'm going to choose the pharmacy as it seems the best opportunity out of the 4 given to me. I'll just have to try really hard to make sure I've got my shit together. I wouldn't be filling pills or anything (that's the job of a Pharmacy Tech) but I'd be handling finding the completed prescriptions, ringing out people on register and drive through, and redirecting people to the pharmacist if they've got any questions...not terribly bad...but who knows. :)

Anyone able to help me write a cover letter? Googling seems to bring up nothing good and I would like to get this resume+letter out to a job listing ASAP.

The job does not say a cover letter, its for a Graphic Design Assistant, but they do specifically request a salary requirement be given when sending in the resume. Should, or could, I place that on the resume, in the email or make a cover letter with that information on it? From what I've read so far, cover letters are where you should put the salary requirements when asked.

I'd imagine it would be said in the cover letter, seems is that is the document that is tailored directly towards the employer/job in question.

'Fraid I can't help with cover letter writing as mine are probably awful... :lol:

If anyone lives in the Columbus Ohio area...the company I work for is hiring again. Starting pay is okay but the benefits offered are excellent.

Yes, we make and package pharmaceuticals, and YES you will have to pass multiple drug tests. I swear, more than 50% of the people that get hired in either cant pass the background checks, or fail one of the several drug tests they pop on you in the first 90 days. (And the massive number of ones throughout the year) Seriously, we deal in narcotics. Heavy duty ones. Hell, we make methadone, and we even package cocaine. Do people really think we're not gonna drug test!?

A few more weeks of working more than 75+ hours is gonna kill me. Seriously, I need some sleep here.....

*passes out and starts to snore* ZZZzzzzzz

I totally forgot about the upcoming holiday season. Too much RL shit/drama on the brain distracting me but I should totally drop off a resume by my local one and apply online again. Couldn't hurt.

Anyone able to help me write a cover letter? Googling seems to bring up nothing good and I would like to get this resume+letter out to a job listing ASAP.

The job does not say a cover letter, its for a Graphic Design Assistant, but they do specifically request a salary requirement be given when sending in the resume. Should, or could, I place that on the resume, in the email or make a cover letter with that information on it? From what I've read so far, cover letters are where you should put the salary requirements when asked.

Always use a cover letter. It's a good safeguard. Basically the easiest way to think of a cover letter is to think of it this way: It's your chance to go somewhat in depth and try to sell yourself and your abilities that are useful for the position at hand. Each letter should be relatively unique to the position your applying for.

http://www.career.vt.edu/JobSearchGuide/CoverLetterSamples.html is a great resource on what is and how to write a cover letter. :)

Looks like I got a job at Gamestop. It's not much, but it pays my bills.

Awesome, whatever gets you goin again right? good luck :)

Exactly. Pending some bullshit doesn't happen, I plan on staying. Hope to become a manager eventually. They have a killer managers convention every year in Vegas.

I've heard lots of horror stories about working at GameStop... But again same with McDonalds. I actually sort of want to work there because you get to talk about VIDEO GAMES for a job. I probably wouldn't be "well-rounded" enough> I do not play the shooting games. However, I do know a good amount about said shooting games thanks to things such as the Internet and Youtube.

(Grats man!)

I've heard lots of horror stories about working at GameStop... But again same with McDonalds. I actually sort of want to work there because you get to talk about VIDEO GAMES for a job. I probably wouldn't be "well-rounded" enough> I do not play the shooting games. However, I do know a good amount about said shooting games thanks to things such as the Internet and Youtube.

(Grats man!)

I'd take GameStop over McDonalds....I'm not cut out for the fast food world *shudders at Subway "catch all the dripppins!" commercial* nuh huh.

Yeah I'm very quickly finding out I'm not either. I don't even like McDonalds... Thanks for the very few discounts that we do actually get at a franchise, but I don't even like McDonalds (makes me sick). One of my friends got a promotion who lives in Vancouver. He was going to quit (wanted to try and get a job at Future Shop) until they promoted him.

At the one I work at, they rarely ever promote anyone because they already have 10+ managers and they all have been working there for a while. Also, they really won't get the message that I CAN'T WORK MORE THAN 15 HOURS a week because UNDERGRAD WORK. They keep scheduling me for ~20+ hours even though I requested less hours. (Aka, I want to quit my job, but I don't have anything else lined up so I can't because I work too much and don't have much time.)

I look at working at Gamestop in a positive way. Yeah, every job has a shitty aspect. But I LOVE video games and (oddly) the industry itself. And the store I'm going to work at, I know all of the other workers and get along great with them. Plus, hey, I get a discount on my games. :)

Oh, well that is pretty excellent. I've heard more issues with people staying employed there, so I don't know. I've been going to the GameStop near my McD's because of convenience, but the people working there are generally pretty nice. Someone from my major was/is working there, even.

(As far as I'm concerned, all of McDonalds in a store is just a terribad job. I definitely wouldn't want to be any sort of manager at one at all.)

(Oddly? Lol)

A commercial shouldn't turn you off of fast food service; the training video should.

:| erm yeah...i'm scarred for life now. :p

Yeah I'm very quickly finding out I'm not either. I don't even like McDonalds... Thanks for the very few discounts that we do actually get at a franchise, but I don't even like McDonalds (makes me sick). One of my friends got a promotion who lives in Vancouver. He was going to quit (wanted to try and get a job at Future Shop) until they promoted him.

At the one I work at, they rarely ever promote anyone because they already have 10+ managers and they all have been working there for a while. Also, they really won't get the message that I CAN'T WORK MORE THAN 15 HOURS a week because UNDERGRAD WORK. They keep scheduling me for ~20+ hours even though I requested less hours. (Aka, I want to quit my job, but I don't have anything else lined up so I can't because I work too much and don't have much time.)

Ouch, that stinks moogle. Yeah, my (soon to be) manager said they'd have 20 hours a week...It's hopefully not too much with 3 classes. It would be a lot better than freaking 35-40 hours like I worked my fall semester at the navy depot.

I look at working at Gamestop in a positive way. Yeah, every job has a shitty aspect. But I LOVE video games and (oddly) the industry itself. And the store I'm going to work at, I know all of the other workers and get along great with them. Plus, hey, I get a discount on my games. :)

Yeah, I agree completely, I'm not terribly interested in CVS as an industry, but getting paid is getting paid + so far my coworkers in the two stores I've worked at before have been awesome. I'm hoping that'll be the same here.

Last edited:
I have 4 classes I'm taking (bare minimum for full time is 12 units). Three of the classes I'm taking are also taught with Graduate students in mind, but two of them actually give Graduate-level work for whatever reason. I told my Graduate Studies roommates all of the stuff I have to do and they thought that all of the work for two of the classes were insane. (And the work is.)

I saw the one manager who supposedly is the one who deals with managing hours change it to Max 15 hours in the computer's scheduling program, but I'm thinking one of the other managers "decided" to give me more hours. At my store, they have issues filling all of the shifts and a couple of other crew just quit in the last two weeks (I don't blame them).

Honestly, I'd rather work at something in a store than in anything relating to food. After working at McDonalds, I don't want to be anywhere near food for a job even in a nice restaurant.

... Also WHACHE at that video! That is terribad to the extreme. o_O

Last edited:
Always use a cover letter. It's a good safeguard. Basically the easiest way to think of a cover letter is to think of it this way: It's your chance to go somewhat in depth and try to sell yourself and your abilities that are useful for the position at hand. Each letter should be relatively unique to the position your applying for.

http://www.career.vt.edu/JobSearchGuide/CoverLetterSamples.html is a great resource on what is and how to write a cover letter. :)

Thanks for the help! :love:

I will look in to the link and start making my cover letter. Hopefully I can land the job.