The lack of employment/Laid off/Thread

Well, going to be out of a job in two weeks (after being unemployed for almost a year!). I want to work in a field related to animals (wildlife or pets, anything really) and does anyone have any advice for going in a field like this? I don't have degree related to it, and I think getting a 4 year degree is going to be really difficult for me now, but I have had experience working in a farm ( I grew up in one), and maintenance for exotic animals, but those were all unpaid and more of like a hobby for me. Plus I can't use the references because that was from another country. So what is the best thing to do? Volunteer? Thanks.

Try volunteering at a shelter, hospital, etc. I am not in the animal field but chances are that for stuff outside directly administering medical treatment, experience is more important than a degree. Also, volunteering would give you networking connections to use to help make it an actual career as well as a potential source of advice.

Furthermore, employers like to see that you were doing something...anything... while unemployed so volunteering works there too.

Good luck making a career change, sounds exciting.

Zoo tour guide
Receptionist at a Veterinary surgery
stable hand shovelling horse manure
Volunteer or paid work at shelters (Animal Attendant)
Animal Control (the Pound/Dog Control)
Pet Store
Animal Groomer
Park Ranger

just some ideas...

Ok so how does this verbal offer of employment thing work?

I got a offer from Comcast today for the 14 dollar (15.30 when you work evenings) + sales commission tech support gig in York.

The HR lady was nice and everything, but I was hoping I'd get the CenturyLink gig (lower pay but far shorter commute and no sales required). I keep missing the HR guy's calls though which kills me. I was hoping he'd call back after missing him this morning but i've heard nothing after leaving a message. His number suggests he's on Louisiana time though so perhaps he was at lunch?

Anyway, because I felt trapped, I accepted the Comcast offer. If I get a hold of CenturyLink today and they offer me....is it acceptable for me to call Comcast back and say i've found something else?

I'd feel bad leading the Comcast HR woman on but i'm not going to not say yes...just in case the CenturyLink call was for a rejection and not a acceptance.

tl;dr: accepted comcast verbal offer of employment even though im holding out for a job that I want more, any way to back out?

Edit: I got a offer from century link too! I said yes.

Also, the comcast hr person emailed me back, the start rate is 13 dollars an hour.

Last edited:
That's a tricky one. Still, I think you did the right thing by accepting, as the alternative would have been possibly having NO job offers instead of 2. Either way, you win.

Personally I would be honest with Comcast and say you got a better offer, assuming you have not signed anything and assuming you would rather have the CenturyLink job.

That's a tricky one. Still, I think you did the right thing by accepting, as the alternative would have been possibly having NO job offers instead of 2. Either way, you win.

Personally I would be honest with Comcast and say you got a better offer, assuming you have not signed anything and assuming you would rather have the CenturyLink job.

I haven't signed anything, only accepted the verbal offer.

In my email to Comcast HR i've said that, after having the call with them, I got another offer elsewhere that has a shorter commute and that I've decided to go with that offer instead.

I hope that'll be good enough.

Congratulations :)

Woohoo, that didn't last long. Got called up this morning and told they were letting me go because I "wasn't the right fit". I still think it has maybe a little bit to do with my ex-best friend from high school working there. I literally did nothing wrong except try my hardest to make this work. I didn't even let the fact that I was uncomfortable with a ghost from my past sitting in the same room with me get in the way. I wanted to make this work. I'm just wondering why everything I do turns to crap at this point.

At least now I know where she works and where I need to avoid...well back to the grinder, I suppose. God this sucks right now.

Congratulations :)

Thanks man!

Woohoo, that didn't last long. Got called up this morning and told they were letting me go because I "wasn't the right fit". I still think it has maybe a little bit to do with my ex-best friend from high school working there. I literally did nothing wrong except try my hardest to make this work. I didn't even let the fact that I was uncomfortable with a ghost from my past sitting in the same room with me get in the way. I wanted to make this work. I'm just wondering why everything I do turns to crap at this point.

At least now I know where she works and where I need to avoid...well back to the grinder, I suppose. God this sucks right now.

Ask why you weren't the best fit. Say that you want to know so you can be a better worker in the future.

Last edited:
I haven't signed anything, only accepted the verbal offer.

In my email to Comcast HR i've said that, after having the call with them, I got another offer elsewhere that has a shorter commute and that I've decided to go with that offer instead.

I hope that'll be good enough.

Congrats on that!!

And today was my first day at Dish Network. Easy job, the people there are fantastic...and I get to go home without being drenched in sweat and in serious agony over my feet. :)

Congrats on that!!

And today was my first day at Dish Network. Easy job, the people there are fantastic...and I get to go home without being drenched in sweat and in serious agony over my feet. :)

Thanks and congrats on a great first day!

Thanks man!

Ask why you weren't the best fit. Say that you want to know so you can be a better worker in the future.

I already know why. I'm not motivated enough. My attitude is wrong. I can do better than that place, anyway. I want the ghosts from my past to stay exactly that - ghosts from my past. I'm still upset because I get to stress myself out for who knows how long trying to find another place that will hire me, but at least I don't have to worry about that anymore. And besides...I already knew sales wasn't my strong suit, but a part of me thought it would be different doing it over the phone. But no. Its actually harder, for many reasons...

It just sucks. I thought I'd found my golden goose. The place had the perfect schedule for me (Sunday-Thursday 1pm-8pm) and paid a whole lot better than the last job too. Oh well. :(

I already know why. I'm not motivated enough. My attitude is wrong. I can do better than that place, anyway. I want the ghosts from my past to stay exactly that - ghosts from my past. I'm still upset because I get to stress myself out for who knows how long trying to find another place that will hire me, but at least I don't have to worry about that anymore. And besides...I already knew sales wasn't my strong suit, but a part of me thought it would be different doing it over the phone. But no. Its actually harder, for many reasons...

It just sucks. I thought I'd found my golden goose. The place had the perfect schedule for me (Sunday-Thursday 1pm-8pm) and paid a whole lot better than the last job too. Oh well. :(

You don't know if that's the case for this position though. Each case is unique to a extent, if not altogether.

Whatever the reasons, work toward trying to reduce them. Reminding yourself that "it'll all be worth it on pay day" might keep motivation high for something that kinda sucks. Also the whole "determined to prove others and myself wrong" thing helps too.

I'm unsure if you had quota's that needed filling. That's one reason I decided against a higher paying position with Comcast: while I was assured they were easy to hit, I didn't want to have the worry of that breathing down my neck everyday....sales just isn't my thing so I can relate there.

A lot of places have 2nd shift options, although I admit that schedule you got was pretty clutch. If you like 2nd shift, I know through my job application adventures that call centers (yay shift bid scheduling based on seniority....you're pretty much guaranteed a 2nd shift for the first year or two) and warehousing gigs tend to have openings there. Bottom line, I wouldn't say another 2nd shift wont pop up for you.

I already know why. I'm not motivated enough. My attitude is wrong. I can do better than that place, anyway.

[...]

This two statements contradict each other.

Resume question. I was briefly employed this winter, do I put it on my resume? I'm not sure why I was hired to begin with, I took the job because it was the first job offer I had in 4 years. My start date was Feb. 7 and firing date was April 1. Yeah I got fired on April Fools' Day. I should have known from my second interview that it wasn't going to go well. I showed up for the interview and was told I was an hour early. I accepted the job and my hours were to be 8 to 4, I was there at 7:45 and was told I was not expected until 8:30. I was written up my first week for a mistake and constently yelled at that I had to get more done even though I was producing the amount of work that was the stated amount. My training was a joke, which was lists of instructions yelled at me across the room. My last few days there were insane, I was sent home early due to no work for me two out of three days when she should have been training me. The day I was there the whole day was getting yelled at about mistakes that I didn't make, what did I do all day because I didn't produce the amount of work expected, and being called a liar. I was not upset at all about being fired but I'm not sure if I should put it on my resume or leave it off. I'm not going to get a good reference out of her.

TBH, I reckon unless you need it to demonstrate current skills or abilities, I'd leave it off.

I am not lacking employment. I am lacking payment: Due to cashflow problems on my employer's side I have not been paid for May and June yet. As May is more than twice the amount June is, I hope they at least pay that bill before I quit.

I am not lacking employment. I am lacking payment: Due to cashflow problems on my employer's side I have not been paid for May and June yet. As May is more than twice the amount June is, I hope they at least pay that bill before I quit.

You sir are more patient than I.

You sir are more patient than I.
I am working freelance, which means that I write an invoice at the end of the month. I only billed June on Tuesday, thus I do not expect payment for June until the third week of July, anyways. May is another matter - that's three weeks overdue by now.

I am working freelance, which means that I write an invoice at the end of the month. I only billed June on Tuesday, thus I do not expect payment for June until the third week of July, anyways. May is another matter - that's three weeks overdue by now.

Screw that. At that point I'd be expecting the owners to go sell blood or something to pay me.

Screw that. At that point I'd be expecting the owners to go sell blood or something to pay me.
I told them to pay by Wednesday next week or I quit. If they don't, I already got a lawyer appointment set up.