The Ladies of Prodrift for C&C

Paddy

Car(s)
'06 BMW 320 M Sport
This was my first ever semi-proper fashion shoot, so I'll let you guys be the judges.

The brief was to tie in the clothing range with the Prodrift Series brand, to come out with shots that can be used for print adverts or online to display the clothing. I think the post work might be a bit too strong, been looking at it for too long so might come back again in a week with fresh eyes and get some fine tuning done.

Shoot details:
Canon EOS 40D w/ 24-105F4 L IS
Canon 580EX & Nikon SB800 with shoot through brollies.
Canon 430EX shot bare for some fill in certain shots.
Big warehouse & Expensive cars that spoke Japanese when I tried to start one to turn the wheel.

Anyways, all feedback welcome :)

2697319464_a20251b72c_o.jpg

2696505519_bd7721037e_o.jpg

2697318854_22dc58be35_o.jpg

2696590441_cc45260ae3_o.jpg

2696504919_17d2d5f57b_o.jpg

More can be found on My FlickR

They look good, the high contrast lost a lot of shadow/hair detail but that's cool if that's the look they want. I would also remove the license plate frame in #2.

They look good, but they're no Misa Campo.

The light burst things in #1 are distracting.

They look good, but they're no Misa Campo.

I take it you've never seen her in person. I've shot her, she's a slob and about as deep as a puddle in July. Probably the worst model I've ever shot. The photos you see online are either old or Photoshopped into oblivion.

Now, Mercedes Terrell on the other hand, she rocks and is great to work with.

for some reason it looks like there's a LOT of post processing going on there, may not be the case.
In any case, the shots look either too bright or too dark, except 3 and 5 (but then again maybe you did that on purpose)

The photos are great, the subject are awful.

Without wanting to start a massive discussion. Who the hell is Misa Campo? I post on many forums as well as own a couple and everybody carries on about her. I thought I would not hear her name mentioned here.

I don't find her attractive.

Too much contrast. Plus, I cannot see fully the products that are being advertised. If this clothing is marketed for women, I would expect that the models are secondary to the clothing. Picture #1 is the best out of all them from an advertising point of view. You can fully see the product.

We really need Merette to comment on this, women see it differently than we do.

It wasn't fully about the product, it was tie the clothing with the brand, thus girls on cars.

The clothing is for both men and women.

AFAIK, the online shop will use EPS drawings of the clothing to show the product and that these will be used with text and logos to advertise the range in general.

Prodrift supplied me with samples of the style they wanted from the photographs, thats what they got, so don't shoot the messenger :)

It wasn't fully about the product, it was tie the clothing with the brand, thus girls on cars.

The clothing is for both men and women.

AFAIK, the online shop will use EPS drawings of the clothing to show the product and that these will be used with text and logos to advertise the range in general.

Prodrift supplied me with samples of the style they wanted from the photographs, thats what they got, so don't shoot the messenger :)

Thanks for the explanation

It didn't really tie in enough other than the first pic.

Nice shots Paddy. Couple of things I notice:

In #1, there's a light stand that looks like it's sticking out of the model's armpit... that's kind of distracting to me, clone stamp time?

I don't mind the high contrast, shadowy look. Something different compared to typical fashion photography, but I don't necessarily think it's worse. But in #2 and #5, the model's legs just seem like a hole in the image... there's no definition there at all. Maybe adding an extra light in there could have helped?

The lighting in #4 isn't very flattering for the model... If you don't mind me asking, what was your lighting setup for that shot? I think a light from camera left would have helped, although then you'd risk losing the shadow in the dash/windshield... maybe a gridded light from camera left?

I really like #1 and #3. I'm not saying I could do better by any means, but I think you could improve on the others. Keep up the good work.