The Lewis Hamilton thread: Love him or hate him?

I think Senna was earning a good 1 million (unsure of the currency) per race in 1993 wasn't he? Didn't Ron swear at the end of the season he'll never bow to a driver's demands in such a way again?

Ron tried to hard-bargain Niki Lauda, which was a big mistake. Lauda was on an insane amount of money at the time....and when Dennis picked up Prost for an absolute bargain from Renault, he became rather bitter and offered Lauda HALF his previous years salary! Lauda then went to TAG and they forced Dennis to offer a reasonable amount of money.

So it doesn't surprise me in the least that the same thing happened with Senna.

Like you put it, "in 1993". What I was pointing at was when he moved to the team for the 1988 season. Of course Ron Dennis had to increase his wage gradually as he started winning everything. But apparantly he didn't go all the way giving Senna what he wanted, as he Senna was frantically looking for that Williams seat to replace Alain Prost for the 1994 season... Of course a decline in McLaren's performance at that time was also a factor in this.

Ahh, you were referring to the previous contract then? Ok, wasn't sure on that. :)

Nexc0 said:
Ron tried to hard-bargain Niki Lauda, which was a big mistake. Lauda was on an insane amount of money at the time....and when Dennis picked up Prost for an absolute bargain from Renault, he became rather bitter and offered Lauda HALF his previous years salary! Lauda then went to TAG and they forced Dennis to offer a reasonable amount of money.

So it doesn't surprise me in the least that the same thing happened with Senna.

You've read To Hell and Back havent you?

John Watson overestimated his worth and so when Prost became available from Renault, McLaren were able to snap him up very cheaply, showing Watson the door.

Lauda claims he was paid one dollar for his driving ability, and $1 million for his marketability. He tried to sign for Renault for the '85 season (only after he won the WDC showing how little he trusted Ron Dennis who might've favoured Prost), asking for a huge salary in the process. The deal was eventually refused which left Lauda in a very vulnerable position because Dennis had known about his attempt to jump ship. The result was a new contract at McLaren (after some lobbying by Lauda to Marlboro) but at a severely reduced price.

Dennis and Lauda really didn't like each other much!

But if you read the book you'd know this :D

Hehehehehe I sure have, I picked it up in a second hand book store for $4 or something and absolutely love it. I think its a brilliant book, although no doubt helps that I am a fan of Lauda.

That seems like a really weird tradition to me.........I've always assumed that the drivers championship trophies would always go to the driver and the constructors would go to the constructors. Never occurred to me that the constructor would claim all of them as their own. I would be really unhappy about that if I were a driver for a team with that policy. I hope they let him have both, and make it a new tradition that new drivers get both of the trophies (at least) that Lewis requested. I think he deserves at least that for the unprecedented(regardless of whether you think its a legal car or not or if he just got lucky or whatever, its still something thats pretty rare) job he has done this year, not to mention support at the hearings.

JH

Hrmm, if I was Ron Dennis I'd probably consider giving Lewis the Canadian Grand Prix trophy (lets face it, he has done a brilliant job this year), but not sure on the WDC one...

Yeh he has no hope of getting the WDC one I reckon. Think about the people that have one their first WDC with Macca. Prost, Senna and Hakkinen.

Hakkinen never got his first GP win trophy, DC never got his first McLaren win trophey, neither did JPM, Ralf, Alonso etc. So why Hamilton??

Even as a Hamilton fan, I don't really have much sympathy for him - he signed the contract, he knew what the deal was. Nor do I think going to the media like this is the right way to handle it.

Personally - I don't agree with McLaren's policy, but it's not like they hid it from Lewis.

I think that there really should be two of each of the drivers trophies made for every GP, one for the driver and one for the team...it would solve the problem. I think drivers deserve to keep the trophy, but can also understand why the team would like to keep it for themselves.

What is Lewis going to do with all those trophies anyway? Surely they'll just become a pain in the ass for him when he moves house. I remember one summer, ages ago I went to a tennis camp in Texas that was owned by John Newcombe, and his trophies were absolutely everywhere, but they weren't in display cases. One would be filled with ice and used to cool drinks, another was a punch bowl, there was even one that was used to keep a broken door open.

I wonder what Schumacher does with his trophies...

At least at McLaren they go into the display cabinets that line the boulevard, and are properly maintained for all to see.

Maybe Lewis' dad wants to do what Heinz-Harald's did and start a museum with them.

Haha wouldn't be a very big museum for Heinz......

Lewis disillusioned by SC furore

Lewis Hamilton has expressed his dismay at the controversy about his driving under the safety car at Fuji ? and said such issues are leaving him disillusioned with Formula 1.

The stewards have been examining footage of the crash between Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel in Japan to see if Hamilton had triggered the collision, after suggestions that the championship leader had been accelerating and slowing erratically and causing confusion amongst those following him.

Hamilton said he had no idea why he was being implicated in the incident.

"I think, under extremely difficult circumstances with the rain, I did the best job I could to stay out of everyone else's way," he told reporters at Shanghai.

"It's the first situation where I'd been in the wet behind the safety car, having to manage the gap between the guy in front and look out for everyone around you, you've got your visor completely fogged up, your mirrors completely fogged up, you're just scared of crashing with someone else and trying to get out of the way.

"I just don't understand how they're trying to put blame on me, but that's the way it goes, I guess."

Hamilton said he suspected he would now receive a penalty, and vented his frustration about the prospect ? saying such controversies were putting him off F1.

"I had a good weekend ? I don't think I put a foot wrong and I didn't do anything to harm anyone else or put anyone else in danger ? but I've come away to China and all of a sudden I'm no doubt going to be punished for something," he said.

"I just think this is a real shame for the sport.

"Formula 1 is supposed to be about hard competition, but fair, and that's what I've tried to do this year ? just be fair.

"If I've been in the wrong I'm the first to put my hands up and just apologise, and then I don't mind being slapped on the hand or given a penalty.

"But there's been some real strange situations this year where I'm made to look the bad person.

"It looks like this weekend I'm probably going to given a penalty and I think it's just a shame for the sport.

"If this is the way it's going to keep going then it's probably not somewhere that I want to be."

There remains no news on whether any action will be taken against Hamilton.

The rookie also reiterated his belief that he had done nothing improper during the safety car period in question.

"I caught the pace car up, I pulled up alongside him and obviously I can't overtake him so I braked, which also was giving me more heat in my brakes and my tyres," said Hamilton.

"Then I waited for him to pull away, and all of a sudden Mark appeared alongside me. I decided to accelerate away and the next thing I hear is a big thud.

"He's allowed five car lengths behind me; I don't know why he was so close."

2nd Lesmo

Oh grow up Lewis!!

He must be dumber than he looks. "I don't know why he was so close". He was close because...

a) He was behind the safety car in the train
b) He had to be between 1 and 5 car lengths away from Lewis and
c) Because Lewis jumped on the brakes and was offline, which in my opinion he shouldnt have done in the wet.

I don't agree with Lewis' little outburst (hell, it's F1, 95% of it is politics and bullshit, so Lewis knew what he was getting into), but I still don't see that Lewis has done anything different to what we've seen from other drivers in the same situation. So I don't see the reason or need to get all over Lewis' back about this.

(Unless of course you don't like his personality and hat-wearing, and therefore judge his driving based on that...)

I just don't understand why he was so far offline?? To pull off to the FAR right of a race track and almost stop seems completely illogical.