The Lewis Hamilton thread: Love him or hate him?

Sir Stiggington

Car(s)
McLaren Mercedes MP4/23 :P
It seems there really isn't something in between. either people are crazy about him, or they keep calling him an idiot. So what do you guys think? 8)

Love and Hate are such strong words...

He's extremely talented and quick, no doubt. The car is clearly the quickest thing out there, but he's beating a two-times world-champ teammate, so he's definitely got ability.

I think he's handling it all very well too - he's well spoken, handles the media professionally, and is keeping his feet on the ground.

Sure, he's been groomed for this for a while, and has good people around him, but that doesn't, and shouldn't, diminish his achievements.

In short - so far he seems to be a major talent, and is reinvigorating interest in F1, so it's all good.

And now we wait for the Hamilton haters with their claims of 'he wears his hat too low'...

Got it in one really mate!!!!

You would have to be an idiot not to recognise the talent. He is outpacing a two time world champion. He is staggeringly fast and seems to be the whole package. However there are still a lot of situations he has yet to be introduced to. Situations that he just won't be able to handle as he doesn't have experience.

Nonetheless surely a future world champion and good for F1 I think, if only ITV would shut up about him for 5 minutes!!!!

He's extremely talented and quick, no doubt. The car is clearly the quickest thing out there, but he's beating a two-times world-champ teammate, so he's definitely got ability.

I think he's handling it all very well too - he's well spoken, handles the media professionally, and is keeping his feet on the ground.

Sure, he's been groomed for this for a while, and has good people around him, but that doesn't, and shouldn't, diminish his achievements.

In short - so far he seems to be a major talent, and is reinvigorating interest in F1, so it's all good.

And now we wait for the Hamilton haters with their claims of 'he wears his hat too low'...

Thanks for making it easier for me, that sums up what I think. :lol:
I don't love him, but he seems a nice guy, and it's good he's causing such a fuss in the sport. I'm still a Felipe Massa fan, though.

Absolutely.

I'm just profoundly glad that I live in Australia and am therefore not subjected to the Hamilton-hype that is (understandably) going on in Britain. I'm told the ITV pre-race show is pretty well the Lewis Hamilton show now, which would certainly begin to irritate me if I had to watch highlights of his seven races so far over and over.

But yeah, basically what fbc said. He's extremely talented, well spoken, professional and humble. I'm a McLaren fan and have been since the early 90's, so I'm happy to support Hamilton and Alonso equally. Hamilton seems to be getting the job done though, and is maintaining his professionalism and composure while he's at it. While he drives for McLaren, I'll be a fan. :)

Hate him? Certainly not. Crazy about him? Hrmm, no. It's great to see him doing so well though, and I hope he can go on and enjoy a successful and exciting career.

Last edited:
However there are still a lot of situations he has yet to be introduced to. Situations that he just won't be able to handle as he doesn't have experience.
What kind of situations are you talking about?

He was disqualified in Imola (GP2) for passing under safety car.
He won the nurburging (GP2) even though he had to serve a penalty for speeding in the pit lane.
He spun in Istanbul (GP2) leaving him 18th, and he passed almost everyone coming in 2nd.

One doesn't simply become a formula 1 driver without experience.

I'm one of those people who hated him. Why? Well, first of all, he is in a good machine, like Nigel Mansell said, he is expected to win. If he is put in a Spyker, how do we know he is good? Second, Prost said that he uses the Mclaren simulator to learn his craft and the fact that the technology is so advance that driving a real F1 car is no different that driving a virtual F1 car in a video games. If he is so good, he does not need those training stuff and would actually use a proper gearbox. He has not proven himself to be able to compete in an uncompetitive car. So what about GP2? Everyone there has an equal car? No traction control? No power steering? Okay, you may have a point there, but remember he does not know how to use a proper gearbox, that is the reason he will never be rated the same as Senna or the other great legend that drive an F1 car with a proper gearbox. At least when Michael Schumacher started, he start with an uncompetitive Jordon team with a proper gearbox. I don't like it when people said that Lewis is a so great driver, for what? Driving a good car that never breaks, the cars this days are so prefect that we can't tell if they are really that great or the technology just masked their real talent. Okay, so maybe Prost and Mansell are not really great example because they both ended their career in a very advance car, but technology during their time and today is vastly different, it is like a Intel processor to today's Dual Core processor. I however really think that his looks help Formula 1, he seems to be similar to Tiger Woods, started training when they were young. I do also think F1 is boring, they all drive like it was a parade. Okay, maybe not the mid field or the backmarkers. :(

So your only complaint is that he doesn't know how to use a proper gearbox? Of course he knows how to use a proper gearbox. It's not his fault that he is in the era of paddle shifts. In fact, if all the current cars were converted to a manual then it is very likely that Hamilton still would be the fastest.

By your argument, I guess every WDC out there had no talent and was just lucky to have the fastest machine out there, huh. He beats Alonso a 2 time WDC in an identical machine and he's just lucky bastard without any talent. Jeez.

It has been funny to watch how the Hamilton haters have evolved. Hamilton gets on the podium and they say "So what?" Let's see him get a pole. He gets the pole and they say "So what? Let's seem him win a race". He wins race after another and they say "So what? Let's see him win a WDC".

And about the simulator, it's so that Lewis can learn the tracks he has never been to.

Last edited:
He doesn't need to know how to use a 'proper' gearbox though (assuming of course you mean a fully manual transmission). Comparisons between decades don't really work either as its qualitative. You can't compare Hamilton to Senna because the equipment, as you rightly say, is different. What counts is making the most of the equipment thats currently available, and to all intents, Hamilton is getting the job done!

So your only complaint is that he doesn't know how to use a proper gearbox? Of course he knows how to use a proper gearbox. It's not his fault that he is in the era of paddle shifts. In fact, if all the current cars were converted to a manual then it is very likely that Hamilton still would be the fastest.

By your argument, I guess every WDC out there had no talent and was just lucky to have the fastest machine out there, huh. He beats Alonso a 2 time WDC in an identical machine and he's just lucky bastard without any talent. Jeez.

It has been funny to watch how the Hamilton haters have evolved. Hamilton gets on the podium and they say "So what?" Let's see him get a pole. He gets the pole and they say "So what? Let's seem him win a race". He wins race after another and they say "So what? Let's see him win a WDC".

And about the simulator, it's so that Lewis can learn the tracks he has never been to.

x2 :)

@Paul:

going by your arguments there hasn?t been a single good driver since the Fangio era... jesus, technology evolves in F1, and in order to be quicker than the others you need to be able to use it, period...

I'm one of those people who hated him. Why? Well, first of all, he is in a good machine, like Nigel Mansell said, he is expected to win. If he is put in a Spyker, how do we know he is good? Second, Prost said that he uses the Mclaren simulator to learn his craft and the fact that the technology is so advance that driving a real F1 car is no different that driving a virtual F1 car in a video games. If he is so good, he does not need those training stuff and would actually use a proper gearbox. He has not proven himself to be able to compete in an uncompetitive car. So what about GP2? Everyone there has an equal car? No traction control? No power steering? Okay, you may have a point there, but remember he does not know how to use a proper gearbox, that is the reason he will never be rated the same as Senna or the other great legend that drive an F1 car with a proper gearbox. At least when Michael Schumacher started, he start with an uncompetitive Jordon team with a proper gearbox. I don't like it when people said that Lewis is a so great driver, for what? Driving a good car that never breaks, the cars this days are so prefect that we can't tell if they are really that great or the technology just masked their real talent. Okay, so maybe Prost and Mansell are not really great example because they both ended their career in a very advance car, but technology during their time and today is vastly different, it is like a Intel processor to today's Dual Core processor. I however really think that his looks help Formula 1, he seems to be similar to Tiger Woods, started training when they were young. I do also think F1 is boring, they all drive like it was a parade. Okay, maybe not the mid field or the backmarkers. :(

Oh man, your posts are just getting stupider each time. Just get to 333 and then leave us like you said you would!! I don't recall Mansell ending his career in a really advanced car by the way. That McLaren wasnt the best.

Im both ways with Hamilton. I love how he has come into F1 and has shown that he can match it with the big boys from day 1, but thats also the reason I dislike him. We have yet to see him suffer any problems in Formula 1, eg. Have a form slump or a couple of DNF's in a row, so we don't know how he will act when he gets interviewed by Louise.

I also fear that if he remains dominant for too long, then we will have another Schumacher-era too soon, and I for one don't want to watch race after race of just the same person winning all the time.

I'd be lying if I said the reason I don't really like him is because i'm kinda jealous. He's younger than me, doing so well....bah.

But yeah, he's talented and seems like I nice guy. I just like some of the other drivers better.

I read an article that Schumacher will be doing the Race of Champions this year, and Hamilton might also.

What kind of situations are you talking about?

He was disqualified in Imola (GP2) for passing under safety car.
He won the nurburging (GP2) even though he had to serve a penalty for speeding in the pit lane.
He spun in Istanbul (GP2) leaving him 18th, and he passed almost everyone coming in 2nd.

One doesn't simply become a formula 1 driver without experience.

I must admit Hamilton has shown an amazing level head in just about every situation he has come across so far. His first wet race/qualifying, his first demotion down the pack, his first mechanical failures and most importantly when he no longer has the fastest car on the grid.

He has probably had these situations before in other formulas but not under the scrutiny and pressure of a Formula 1 environment. I'm not saying he is any lesser of a driver if he doesn't cope amazingly well with these predicaments.....not at all. It is expected, but the press will jump all over it and will he recover and slowly build speed again? Or begin making "rookie" mistakes and over-driving? Time will tell.

Or he might just take it all in his stride and continue winning :lol: It will be fascinating to watch either way!

Well said, pretty much sums up my thoughts on Hamilton as well.

Yeah, there is that. That Vettel kid is younger than me... :(

Damon Hill was 30 when he got a drive in Formula 1 and he won a championship. So don't kick yourself. ;)

Christijan Albers was about 18 when he tasted Autoracing and wanted to race, he sucks. Robert Doornbos wanted to become pro in tennis but after meeting Jacques Villeneuve in 1998 (Robert was about 18 back then) he wanted to become a racer. He succeeded, he did well in his first F1 races and now is doing well in Champcar (which is empty as hell) so age doesn't mean everything. Talent and attitude now that is a different story. :p

But i like Lewis Hamilton, i am looking forward to 'Everybody loves Lewis'. :D

Apparently Lews has been romantically linked to the face of the Santander British Grand Prix, Gemma Atkinson. Santander is a McLaren sponsor, so whats the odds that they met at a function?

Here is a photo of Miss Gemma. If you look carefully, you will also see a Spyker Formula 1 car. Took me a couple of minutes to find!

http://img440.imageshack.**/img440/6623/image2nk1.jpg