The little things...

Danny Tran

or <br /><div class="bigusername">Tranny Dan?</div
Ok. I love BBC's Top Gear to death. I watch the eps over and over. I thought we could have a thread on the less obvious little things we love about the show, not necessarily related to the cars, but mostly the format.

I truly enjoy:

- How the presenters wear their own cloathes!

(it adds some realism, knowing real blokes like James and Jeremy know little fashion)

-

- How the presenters do not try to be someone else but keep their personality intact. It gives a very genuine feel to the show, you're not just watching a bloke dessed up like a Volvo driver, he actually desses that way in REAL LIFE! Amazing. And they aren't trying to be funny or really smart, they all have disctinctive personalities and it's what makes the show so great. This is why it's awesome to hear Jeremy talk about marksmen shooting people in the face and James mention the pens in the glovebox of the new Phantom.

- How Richard's teeth sparkle in the studio light....

- How Jeremy keeps making references to Hammonds homosexuality. :)

-How they interact with people in the studio.

^ haha yeah...

"Yes yes yes! I've got the microphone! I've got the microphone!" (talking to the TT owner)

Re: The little things...

Danny Tran said:
Ok. I love BBC's Top Gear to death. I watch the eps over and over. I thought we could have a thread on the less obvious little things we love about the show, not necessarily related to the cars, but mostly the format.

I truly enjoy:

- How the presenters wear their own cloathes!

(it adds some realism, knowing real blokes like James and Jeremy know little fashion)

-

He he, when I first read that I immediately pictured each of them wearing each others clothes....Especially Jeremy wearing Hammonds clothes looking like Lou Ferrigno from the 70's TV show The Incredible Hulk. :lmao:

I guess I need another glass of scotch. :roll:

I just really enjoy the interactions between the three of them....like a couple of old friends just hangin' out talking about cars....something I'm sure we all can relate to.

It might be scripted, but quite a few moments seem totally made up at the spot, it adds that bit of "realism" to the show, and the crew pull it off well.

I also like how they've written the show, its very fluid, unlike most other shows.

And as a team, they work well, its like you cannot think of a better trio to do the show :)

To me what makes the show such a great thing is the interraction between the 3 presenters. Jeremy, Richard and James just seem to work well together, like a couple of friends having a discussion. Sure some of it is a little scripted but you need to have 3 people that can work well together. Ok I am not sure how they get a long off air but they seem to have this natural charisma.

I also like how they say what they want to (within reason of course).

Sirocco said:

-How the guys really have no shame. In the 2003 episode, where they compared the Boxster, S2000, and Z4; they were all shown totally wasted at a pub still trying to deliberate. THAT was hilarious.

i like how they couldnt care about what people think about them and their opinions

No Boss said:
Sirocco said:

-How the guys really have no shame. In the 2003 episode, where they compared the Boxster, S2000, and Z4; they were all shown totally wasted at a pub still trying to deliberate. THAT was hilarious.

or richard completely wasted on the ferry to norway :lol:

I like when some of the presenter start a story about stig (when he need to drive)..

Example:

Some says that his theat glow in a dark... :thumbsup:

I like how they haven't gone all commercial (admittedly that would be kind of hard with a BBC show) or over the top. They're staying true to their (or Jeremy's) ideals.

bone said:
No Boss said:
Sirocco said:

or richard completely wasted on the ferry to norway :lol:

Coolest thing about it, is that could be concidered part of their job. Honestly, forget about the drive cars round corners quickly yelling "POWER!". They can get drunk, at work, ON CAMERA, and the bosses say "oh, the chaps in Glouschestershire will like this one"

Can anyone say they could do that at your job?

EsCoBaR said:
I like when some of the presenter start a story about stig (when he need to drive)..

Example:

Some says that his theat glow in a dark... :thumbsup:

I've always loved what Jeremy sometimes says after that. For example:
When testing Renault Clio v6 in 02x05 he speaks French (I suppose;) ) and ends his introduction with... "le Stig". ;]
or when testing Alfa 147 GTA he goes something like "...but of course there is one more thing we've got to do... cause we know nothing... avanti... Stigisimo"
I think he also speaks Swedish (does he?) when introducing the Koenigsegg power lap.

I think all these are from series 2 buy I'm pretty sure he did similar things in others.
Just a small thing but makes me laugh.

I like the way it doesn't feel like a forced relationship between the three presenters. And how they don't get offended by their remarks to one another.

Your always reading in newspapers how when producers put certain people in a show together, they start arguing and bitchin about each other. Hammond write in an interview:

"We have a portakabin and all three of us share it. We all iron our own shirts and trousers before we go in.We are genuinely good pals. We're full of admiration for one another's work. It's just we'd rather die than ever say it."

Ahhhhh, how sweet...