The magnet URIs help thread

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Need help using magnet links? This is the thread for it.

Well, I had to go and be different, and I have a mac. I have been using Transmission to download torrents, but Transmission does not support DHT. I also have Frostwire, but I can never seem to get torrents to actually start downloading using that.

any hints on a pre-intel mac friendly software I can use?

Thanks. That's not what i had in mind when i asked, but then again, i don't think i already patched source code this decade, so it's about time.

Well, I had to go and be different, and I have a mac. I have been using Transmission to download torrents, but Transmission does not support DHT. I also have Frostwire, but I can never seem to get torrents to actually start downloading using that.

Transmission has been supporting DHT since version 1.70 and does support Magnet Links since, i think, 1.8. The current Transmission release (2.04 as i am typing this) is available as a universal binary and thus will work on your PowerPC Mac.
In case you are running a pre-Leopard Mac OS i strongly urge you to update anyways as Leopard offers cover flow for folders ;)

Last edited:
i cant find the "settings" tab in utorrent, am i blind? screenshots?

Transmission has been supporting DHT since version 1.70 and does support Magnet Links since, i think, 1.8. The current Transmission release (2.04 as i am typing this) is available as a universal binary and thus will work on your PowerPC Mac.
In case you are running a pre-Leopard Mac OS i strongly urge you to update anyways as Leopard offers cover flow for folders ;)

yup, thats the problem, im running osx 10.4.11.

and the whole reason i am using a computer made in 2004 is that i dont have a whole lot of money lying around for investing in (or throwing towards, more accurately) computers, so buying a $230 piece of software is a bit out of the question.

so i guess, unless someone can suggest something that might work with my prehistoric piece of machinery, i am just going to have to hope the torrent sites stay up and running. i was able to download the TG Aus special using a standard torrent.

Try picking up a copy of Leopard from a friend who has moved on to Snow Leopard. You can probably get it for free if you know enough Mac users. It's even legal :)

Try deluge on the Mac. I use it on Linux and I didn't have to do anything for it to figure out the magnet url's

http://deluge-torrent.org/

I use Deluge on both Linux and OSX (and would use it on Windows if I used Windows), and I have to say it's my favorite client on any platform. Give it a shot!

Last edited:
Try picking up a copy of Leopard from a friend who has moved on to Snow Leopard. You can probably get it for free if you know enough Mac users. It's even legal :)
Seconded. Or get a Snow Leopard License (which is around fifty bucks), that's backwards-compatible, i.e. gives you the right to install 10.5. As you got a torrent client installed, even if it's an ancient one, you know where to get the Leopard install disc ;)

I assume he meant to say Preferences, as I too do not see Settings anywhere, but there is Preferences -> General -> ?Associate with magnet URIs?

However, my question is, the ?Associate with magnet URIs? button is greyed out, I cannot click it. All 3 buttons under Windows Integration are greyed out as a matter of fact.

When I opened uTorrent just now, it asked me to update to the latest version, which I did. I checked the ?Associate with magnet URIs? button before upgrading and it was greyed out then, which is why I upgraded because I thought perhaps I couldn't do it in that version. Still doesn't work though.

Last edited:
I assume he meant to say Preferences, as I too do not see Settings anywhere, but there is Preferences -> General -> ?Associate with magnet URIs?

However, my question is, the ?Associate with magnet URIs? button is greyed out, I cannot click it. All 3 buttons under Windows Integration are greyed out as a matter of fact.

When I opened uTorrent just now, it asked me to update to the latest version, which I did. I checked the ?Associate with magnet URIs? button before upgrading and it was greyed out then, which is why I upgraded because I thought perhaps I couldn't do it in that version. Still doesn't work though.

Yep, same problem here.

Click the gear icon in your uTorrent bar.

Yep, same problem here.

Yes, Preferences, sorry. Post updated.

If it's greyed out, then it should be associated with uTorrent. If it's not, try a different browser or try starting up uTorrent in administrator mode so it can change associations (although I think it should prompt you for that as soon as you press the button).

Last edited:

Transmission supports magnet links. There's a little section in preferences (I believe it's under General but I'm not positive) that says "Accept Magnet Links:" and there's a button next to it that says "Set Default Application." From then on after you click the button, you can click on a magnet link and it will show up in transmission as red, and a little later it will have the metadata and will start downloading.

If it's greyed out, then it should be associated with uTorrent. If it's not, try a different browser or try starting up uTorrent in administrator mode so it can change associations (although I think it should prompt you for that as soon as you press the button).

So, what you're saying is that if I've upgraded, opened in Admin mode and the buttons are still greyed, that I don't need to do anything else (not that I can) to get magnets, correct?

So, what you're saying is that if I've upgraded, opened in Admin mode and the buttons are still greyed, that I don't need to do anything else (not that I can) to get magnets, correct?

You can try copy/pasting the magnet URL into the "Add URL" box in uTorrent. I'm not sure if that'll work or not.

Question. How do you edit the download destination? (I'm using uTorrent 2.04, Opera 10.62, Windows 7)

When I add a torrent normally (Using the .Torrent file) I get a window asking me where to download the file and what I want to download. But when I use the magnet link it automatically adds the torrent to the download list and downloads to my "Downloads" Folder in Win 7.
I want it configured so that it will always ask me where to download the file. How do I do that?

I tried to open a magnet link using utorrent, but when I did nothing appeared in the file. I've tried several links, none are working. Any tips?