The magnet URIs help thread

I tried to open a magnet link using utorrent, but when I did nothing appeared in the file. I've tried several links, none are working. Any tips?
What do you mean nothing happened?

• Did uTorrent come up at all? If not, maybe you're browser isn't configured to open uTorrent when you click on a magnet url.
  • If uTorrent did come up and isn't downloading, I think you need to have DHT turned on for magnets to work.

What do you mean nothing happened?

• Did uTorrent come up at all? If not, maybe you're browser isn't configured to open uTorrent when you click on a magnet url.
  • If uTorrent did come up and isn't downloading, I think you need to have DHT turned on for magnets to work.

I think he/she might be having the same problem I am. In which case here are some screenshots.
How my preferences look in the general tab: http://i.imgur.com/WZxhT.jpg
What the magnet link looks like when I try to open it: http://i.imgur.com/dHtv8.jpg

I'm running utorrent as admin, however, it still comes up greyed out.

^^ Are you referring to the box that has the name and size columns, where the name column is empty and grayed? If so, that's normal for magnets. Did you try clicking the OK button. It should start downloading.

Also, a correction I stated earlier regarding DHT. With my version, 3.1.2, the DHT doesn't need to be turned on.

I never tried hitting OK, I figured since nothing was coming up in the box, nothing would download. So, the box is supposed to be empty? I'll give it a shot!

Awesome, it took a little bit longer to download, but it worked. Thanks for all the help.

I'm a fanatic about stuff working correctly. I followed the advise on this forum, preferences -general- accept magnet url
but it is greyed out.

"If it's greyed out, then it should be associated with uTorrent. If it's not, try a different browser or try starting up uTorrent in administrator mode so it can change associations (although I think it should prompt you for that as soon as you press the button)."

also, the utorrent wants me to upgrade for $24.95. i will not upgrade. anyother magnet software i can install so this works as smoothly as utorrent did on tpb just 2 months ago?

@nyarb60,

When you say "greyed out", do you mean this screen? If so, just click the OK button. Also, if this is it, on the upper left, click on "Don't Show This Again". If not, post a screenshot of what you mean.

And, just to clarify, you do not need to purchase an upgraded version to download magnets.