The main difference between TGUK and TGA presenters

Since stig_MATA seems to be wondering, Charlie (a former British Touring Car driver), Steve (an advanced driving instructor and Porsche racing driver) and Warren (a cartoonist, classic vehicle collector and part-time motoring journalist) all got the call-back because their audition tapes demonstrated that they understood the spirit of TopGear. Charlie's tape showed a clip of him from some other show he had done comparing different cars to different wines, much like Jeremy once did with coffee. Steve's tape showed him on the city-streets trying to race a Lamborghini he had encountered on a unicycle to prove that you can't go fast in the city no matter what you drive. Warren's tape showed him racing one of his old 1920's Dennis fire-engines around a race track against a vintage double-decker bus. He lost.

Those tapes got them an interview. There demonstrated car knowladge and personalities got them from the interview stage into the final 12. The final 12 were then all put together and sent go-karting to see how they would interact. Charlie, Steve and Warren fell right into place, making fun of each other and getting on like a house on fire. Steve and Charlie both broke the go-kart circuit's lap-record on their first lap. That is why they were given the gig. They got the point of TopGear.

Stiggie, thats all highly interesting information, but it hasnt translated into ratings, now has it ?
It just shows the producers chose 3 people who got on well, good credentials, great potential, but in the end, were totally unsuitable for the job. Good choice.:rolleyes:

It is three blokes cocking about and taking the piss out of each other.

But theyre deadly boring, they get on like people trapped in a plane wreck and they wouldnt get a gig on Playschool.
When TopGear executive producer(guru) Andy Wilman came out to check on the progress of the Aussie show, he said they had exactly the right attitude. That they understood what the show was about. Since the show has gone to air, Jeremy Clarkson has given it the thumbs up for the same reason.

Well they're not going to say it sux arse now are they ??

Forget whether the segments seem rushed. Forget whether you don't like Charlie's hand-waving or his voice. Forget whether you think the show seems over-scripted and the WWTT board seems silly.

Thanks for your tips on what we should think but dont tell us what to do,
if it stinks then they need to change it or the public will keep voting them off and soon enough they can piss off permanently.

And thats our choice, to like it or dislike it.

We dont need to forget that its
rushed,
that the characters are unlikeable,
that its over-scripted,
and silly,
they need to change, not us.
And fast.

Or maybe you're right,....... the problem with the show is that the audience arent thinking the right way..:blink::?:D

They've got the relationship between the hosts right, and that is all that matters. As long as the hosts have caught the spirit of TopGear, everything else will sort itself out in time. ;)

Yeah, like theyre going to let this TG funeral drag on for years with plummeting ratings.
They might make a series 2, but it'll never go to air if their plan is that "everything will sort itself out in time."

I hope it works out with EP 6 on tonight, but they honestly couldve chosen 3 blokes from any pub and they wouldve had more chemistry.

I'm so confident that the hosts wont change that if Charlie Cox isn't on the show next year I will eat my own hair. :rolleyes:

Cox is the BBC's ringer. They asked him to audition.

I'm so confident that the hosts wont change that if Charlie Cox isn't on the show next year I will eat my own hair. :rolleyes:

Cox is the BBC's ringer. They asked him to audition.

Well all that goes to show is that the English don't understand what Australians want from Australian Top Gear hosts ? and once again, the ratings prove it.

Whether it's the BBC, SBS or Freehand who made the decision, they all want the ratings to go up... and that means Charlie should go!

:?

I think most of the people who have stopped watching simply had the unrealistic expectation that it would be as good as the UK version. There also seems to be a lot of people who think that TGA is replacing TG and that the only way to get the original back on air is if TGA fails. This isn't true, TGA was always planned as a companion show. TG returns to SBS with series 11 on November 12th BTW.

With pre-production for series 2 already underway, they clearly wont be changing hosts.

Let's forget about comparing TGUK and TGA for a second here and look at it this way. I've watched 5 episodes of TGA so far and never once felt i wanted more of it. Now it has gotten to the point where it is a chore to watch it because it's simply not funny and doesn't even teach me anything new.

Maybe the chemistry takes time to develop or maybe there simply isn't any. but whatever the case is, i'm gonna let TGA simmer a bit longer before i watch any more of it. which is kind of ironic.. since they need viewership to survive.

Perhaps, but he wont.

Dunno why you cant wake up and smell the failure on this show.

Youre like a cheerleader on the decks of the Titanic.

its also not unrealistic for people to expect the Au version to be as good as or better than the UK version..
The AU production team should know so much about their target audience it would take a pack of fools to get it wrong.
But they do it week after week.

Why cant the AU version be really good ?
Is there a law saying that Freehand have to make lame episodes ?
Are they afraid of success?
Cant figure out what the the shows about ?
Dont know what people in Australia want ?
Maybe they dont know cars?
Dont know TV ?
Maybe its their first job in TV ?
Possibly just pissweak at their jobs ?

The Au show should tear our balls off with its focussed approach and Australian flavour.
( and I dont mean by saying "grouse" )
Instead its something that on the whole, ( because I liked the last Ep ), is little more than a perfunctory exercise in bad TV with great intro music.

Last edited:

And I don't kow why you are always so negative about everything. I don't think I've ever read a positive comment you have written on any subject. You seem to relish the idea that TGA will fail and refuse to accept that many of us are enjoying it.

And I don't kow why you are always so negative about everything. I don't think I've ever read a positive comment you have written on any subject. You seem to relish the idea that TGA will fail and refuse to accept that many of us are enjoying it.

Check the EP 6 thread where I say its great, best episode so far and give it an 8 out of 10. I constantly give Warren positive comments as well. I dont relish their mistakes, but if its bad or good I should be able to voice my opinion either way, shouldnt I ?

Last edited:

You made a comment earlier that you hope it gets better but then you make comments like this. Sounds like you'prepared to bury it already. If TGA fails it's also a reflection on the franchise as a whole which is a worrying thought.

its also not unrealistic for people to expect the Au version to be as good as or better than the UK version..

Do we know what restrictions have been imposed on the TGA production team? Until we know what restrictions there are you cannot expect TGA to be better than TGUK in their very first series. Having said that we can at least expect that TGA should get better.

The AU production team should know so much about their target audience it would take a pack of fools to get it wrong.
But they do it week after week.

With the sordid history of car/motorsport shows in Australia being what it is (RPM bored me to tears), how can the AU production team know what the AUS audience wants (besides reading these threads - do it SBS/Freehand! You NEED to trawl these forums:p)? TGA has not been allowed to have their own identity because they bought into a franchise. Right now, the closest (only?) variety show created/produced in Australia is Rove and even that's taken a few years to get where it is now.

Why cant the AU version be really good ?
Is there a law saying that Freehand have to make lame episodes ?
Are they afraid of success?

I'm not ruling conspiracy out on this one. People hating TGA means people yearning for TGUK even more. Either way Top Gear as a franchise, and SBS's ratings when they bring it back, still wins.

Cant figure out what the the shows about ?
Dont know what people in Australia want ?

Not ruling that out :lol:

Maybe they dont know cars?

I find that a little hard to believe but Charlie, Steve, and Warren don't appear to get a say in what's in the script. So perhaps the scriptwriter doesn't know how to use the Aussie trio's personalities to deliver this knowledge on cars?

Dont know TV ?
Maybe its their first job in TV ?
Possibly just pissweak at their jobs ?

That's a bit harsh...though it's not without reason. TGA has not met a lot of people's expectations and it's equally hard to not have any expectations of it.

The Au show should tear our balls off with its focussed approach and Australian flavour.
( and I dont mean by saying "grouse" )
Instead its something that on the whole, ( because I liked the last Ep ), is little more than a perfunctory exercise in bad TV with great intro music.

You may be right. Maybe they bit off more than they could chew. In that case SBS/Freehand should simply focus on just making it good instead of Australian (whatever "Australian" is). Their attempts at making it Australian with out-dated cringe-worthy colloquialisms obviously isn't working.

Overall I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic and keep watching TGA to see what it evolves into...if they're allowed to.

You made a comment earlier that you hope it gets better but then you make comments like this. Sounds like you'prepared to bury it already. If TGA fails it's also a reflection on the franchise as a whole which is a worrying thought.

The comment about the cheerleader was directed at Stiggie because he has a very Disney ideal that the show is great,
the presenters are great
and no one should say otherwise. (Which is why I dont post at his forum anymore.)

Theres nothing wrong with having a healthy connection with a show, but its TV not real life, and if its less than great we should be able to point it out for SBS et al. to read. Week after week until they listen to us and change it into the killer show it shoud be.
And may be soon enough.

Do we know what restrictions have been imposed on the TGA production team? Until we know what restrictions there are you cannot expect TGA to be better than TGUK in their very first series. Having said that we can at least expect that TGA should get better.

If theres too many restrictions being a franchise, maybe it will never fly with its wings so heavily clipped. But Freehand/SBS should have seen that before pen met paper.

Feedback can be harsh even cruel, but its a online forum not a High Court judgement, the company and Stiggie need to take it like men and realise that if we didnt give a shit we wouldnt post. Better to take a big stick to them straight up, hope they read and take action. Because if we dont tell them about the bits that stink, then they will believe they are delivering the perfect show each week.

.... SBS/Freehand should simply focus on just making it good instead of Australian (whatever "Australian" is). Their attempts at making it Australian with out-dated cringe-worthy colloquialisms obviously isn't working.

Thats exactly what I would say to the production team, first do the ordinary extraordinarily well ....

and then go on to customise it with parochial slang and gingoistic styling.

Overall I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic and keep watching TGA to see what it evolves into...if they're allowed to.

I reckon they will get there in the end but its a race aginst the clock, ratings and money, even the TGUK show will jump the shark eventually, so there is a time limit involved.

Last edited:
To the OP, I def feel what you're trying to say. I have the exact same thoughts, TGA are not contoversial enough.

Charlie is good
but i really don't like Warren Brown
his terrible accents make me feel uncomfortable

plz get another one to replace him
that's all i want

I need to rant... I hate Boycie soo much.

Someone was given the job to get three hosts for TG:Aus... "I know i'll get an illustrator." :?

I've just been given the job of blowing up a meteorite heading towards earth, I need three people to go up there and destroy it (Ala Armageddon)... I'm gonna send Matt Groening. (Jim Davis is busy.)

Stop showing your crappy drawings every chance you get, oh wow a biro drawing of an electric car with a power station attached, it's pure hilarity. <_<

Take your stupid facial hair and go away.

*Ends rant, for now.

The main difference is that TGUK hosts had personalities to being with. I feel that they went with motorsport/motor industry experience over television experience. While it is no doubt essential to have a genuine interest and understanding of motoring, I think they tried too hard to seem authoritative rather than entertaining.
Charlie needs to learn that we can hear him and put the hands down, Steve needs to lay off the red cordial and Warren needs to let his personality out. I feel he is being too reserved as if he doesn't want to be labelled as trying too hard to be like the UK presenters.

Last edited:
Funniest thing is that while I think they're heading in the right direction and have a looong way to go to get anywhere close to the TG formula I actualy expected to watch it tonight and it wasn't on.
That maybe a good sign for sbs anyway..

Not that I enjoyed much of any of it, the few all out supporters here won't outweigh the fact that except for my brother every one I know who watches TGuk has said they've watched a couple of TGau's and gave up on them after that.
TGau has some great camera work, pretty factual but rather boring reviews where there is no passion or soul for the product, challenges are mostly just .. fifth gear like and cut short or while the idea is good the result really sucks through bad delivery of lines and putdowns etc.

They have a looot of room for improvement and I'm certain there's hardcore TGers out there who'll wish them the best while hoping they spend a LOT of time thinking of how to get more of an audience, but..
They need to get that formula, it's got to flow, if one makes a joke go with it and react, if one plays a prank laugh it off and get him back, FUN style, not with the usual "I'm the wise professional and I won't stoop to your level" put downs etc.
When Clarkson says you idiot he generaly says it tongue in cheek but when Charlie and Steve do it it comes accross as if they're never gonna get caught being that kind of idiot, work with it, make it GEL or it'll definitely not pay for itself in the log run.

Steve going on about Warrens driving, yawn, race driving is one thing but normal road usage doesn't work that way and all Steve does is put down Warren and all people who may just happen to drive like him, which on a GT trip is much more ergonomic, safe and pleasurable than the race driver style approach.

And yes, ad-breaks really suck.. and SIARPC hasn't been much chop so shorten the crap out of it, STOP taking in people who love their own voice (the ones who say "I this and I that" etc);
Try Cox out doing free chat rather than his over-acting-slow stuff cause it makes people want to go fast forward.
While his "rant" in the last episode was a try at changing something which is a good sign it was maybe too much to the other side, but.. go with it, let it come more natural and slow down on the slang and who knows.

the things bothering me about TGA is more that they seem to be reckless while the UK guys seem to know what theyre doing more and know their limits. the TGA guys just seem to be like "hey look i can thrash this car around looks how cool i am".

the other thing that annoys me and i actually mute it is when Warren starts the WWTT segment and he emphasizes the WERE and THINKING. just sounds really annoying. from episode one Warren wasnt my favorite. i actually like Steve though, he seems really cool and more at home on camera and doing the stunts and everything. Charlie just seems like hes trying to be a guy too much, not a serious presenter.

like someone else said i think theyre just trying way too hard and its coming off fake.

I missed it this week too.

On the issue of the hosts' personalities, what I hope will happen is that in series 2 they'll be allowed to be a bit more themselves - I think this was happening as series 1 progressed to an extent - and not have to fit into the roles that were defined by TGUK. In fact, what I'd suggest for series 2 of TGAu is something I feel TGUK might also want to consider occasionally: cut back on the scripting. Let the guys do a bit more 'bonding' or something between series to really get the chemistry flowing and then wind 'em up and let 'em go. That's the real test.

If it doesn't work, more serious changes need to be considered.

Having said that, I did enjoy series 1. It had a shaky start and a few blips along the way, but I don't think it was as bad as all that and it did have its moments. If the improvements continue through series 2, it is going to be all right. In a way, I think it's a pity it was done as an obvious TG franchise show, because if it hadn't been, I don't think it would have drawn half the criticism it has. Then again, without the name, it wouldn't have drawn the audience either. Ah, well. I have no answers really.