The McLaren F1 successor

Just did some calculations and it takes 9.055 seconds to travel a quarter mile in free fall without air resistence. This is quite close.

Shit...that?s fast. And I don?t even like drag racing.

I'm with you on that one, for a stock off the factory floor car that's sole purpose is not 1/4 mile times that is an astonishing speed.

The only other time I was impressed with a 1/4 mile time was a couple of years back a local Australian motoring magazine took a Porsche 911 Turbo S straight from the dealer to the track and ran a 10.XX time. He was soon asked to leave by the officials (we require a cage to be fitted for any car that covers the 1/4 mile in 10.xx seconds).

I'm with you on that one, for a stock off the factory floor car that's sole purpose is not 1/4 mile times that is an astonishing speed.

The only other time I was impressed with a 1/4 mile time was a couple of years back a local Australian motoring magazine took a Porsche 911 Turbo S straight from the dealer to the track and ran a 10.XX time. He was soon asked to leave by the officials (we require a cage to be fitted for any car that covers the 1/4 mile in 10.xx seconds).

I?ve heard similar stories. :lol:

Bizarre to think that a bone stock car could be "illegal" for being too fast and you would need to fit a cage or/and a clutch cage to run in some places.

I think the Carbon Fiber monocoque could be argued to be a 'cage itself.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mclaren/p1/first-drives/mclaren-p1-first-drive-review

Autocar review.

Fast enough to lap the N?rburgring in "considerably less than seven minutes" says McLaren, although even at this stage of the car's life, Woking still won't say what the car's official Nordschleife time is.

According to the rumour mill that is the internet the number of 6min 47sec keeps cropping up. But according to a McLaren insider I spoke to who knows rather more about the P1's capabilities than any armchair expert ever could, the actual time is "a fair bit quicker than that." As in six minutes 30 something.

Either way, the P1 is, until Ferrari unleashes the LaFerrari at the Green Hell, king of the 'Ring. For the time being.

Last edited:
This is far and above my favorite supercar in recent years, and I have a feeling it will stay near the top for a long while.

I am nitpicking here, but I am somewhat annoyed by that current trend where supercars have their full power only under a certain setting...

I am nitpicking here, but I am somewhat annoyed by that current trend where supercars have their full power only under a certain setting...

When "not full power" is 727bhp, I'd be able to live with it I think :p

When "not full power" is 727bhp, I'd be able to live with it I think :p

:lol:

Me too, of course!

It' s just that it sounds like such a gimmick. M button, top speed key, etc. Why?

Because it makes the cars easier to drive when not on a track.

It's not necessary, but it's a feature I regularly used in the M3. Throttle is less twitchy, driving is smoother and a bit more relaxed and economy numbers are slightly better.
I also found it helps keeping the performance fresh. No matter (excluding extremes) how fast a car is, you do get used to it. Having a button that takes me from what I'm used to, the lower setting, to the full monty keeps that wow effect alive longer.

Again, it's not necessary, but it's not unwelcomed.

Because it makes the cars easier to drive when not on a track.

It's not necessary, but it's a feature I regularly used in the M3. Throttle is less twitchy, driving is smoother and a bit more relaxed and economy numbers are slightly better.
I also found it helps keeping the performance fresh. No matter (excluding extremes) how fast a car is, you do get used to it. Having a button that takes me from what I'm used to, the lower setting, to the full monty keeps that wow effect alive longer.

Again, it's not necessary, but it's not unwelcomed.

Well, when you put it this way, and from someone with real experience on it, it makes sense.

When I had the 335i with a tune I could choose between the tuned map (around 400 hp), the stock map (306 hp) and an economy mode which kept the wastegates open and used leaner mixture. I ended up using the tuned setting all the time even in the winter and can't say it was any harder to drive than any of the other settings. I personally prefer having full power to the wheels every time I press the throttle pedal to the floor without having to go through different power settings or traction control settings.