The Metal Gear Thread

jedd_kenobi

Forum Addict
Car(s)
A Blue Police Box
So recently I bought the Metal Gear Solid HDCollection (containing the HD versions of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and Metal Gear Solid: PeaceWalker) and I've started playing Metal Gear Solid 2 for the first time. Well I had played some of the Tanker Incident before but only up to the confrontation with Olga. This is my first real effort to complete the game.
In fact I had only completed both the First Metal Gear Solid game and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. So this is my chance to learn more about the background of the story like La Li Le lu Lo (or however it's bloody spelled).
Most normally i would just make a post in the random thoughts: entertainment section but I'm interested to hear what others think. Plus also there's the forthcoming Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance game as well. So let the discussions begin about Snake and the Metal Gear franchise.

Recently released trailer on the PlayStation Network for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
[video=youtube;5SNo8h-KfAU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNo8h-KfAU[/video]

I only played Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty on the PS2 and was blown away by everything.
I never bought or played another game of the series, but I am kinda fed up with people always saying it has too much cutscenes, or that it's a movie you play 5 minutes, or that hiding in boxes is silly... GET OVER IT!

I loved it and just might buy the HD colection myself.
I loved exploring all the things that could be done in the sea platform thingie, like shooting seagulls and getting yelled at by whathisname or scaring soldiers by pointing the gun at their genitals. :lol:

For a long time I have wanted to spend a weekend playing through MGS 1 - 4. Now when the HD collection is out I really should do it. All of them are just brilliant. I haven't yet played the Peace Walker.

One of the incredibly good reasons to buy the HD collection is not only that it contains copies of Metal Gear Solid 2,3 and Peace Walker. But the Metal Gear Solid 3 includes within its MSX copies of the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake from the 80's.
I completed Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty earlier today, incredibly enjoyed it. While there were quite a lot of cutscenes and i felt a bit rmeoved from it. It did however keep me engrossed in the overall storyline which is a lot that can be said for todays games which feel the need to include QTE or other trivial things to a game where all it really needs is a good solid storyline.
Now playing Metal Gear Solid 3, got so engrossed in it that i completely forgot about tonights Top Gear. Thankfully there's still the iPlayer catch up option.

^ I won't comment on my thoughts on MSG2 until you've completed it (yes I bought it and played it thru when it was a new release way back when). MGS1 was and is still one of my favorite PS games of all time. MGS2.... like I said, I'm not gonna comment.

MGS3: Snake Eater was problematic for me but once MGS3: Subsistence came out...easily one of my favorite MGS games on the basis of pure game mechanics, even moreso than the much better looking and technically advanced MGS4.

^ I won't comment on my thoughts on MSG2 until you've completed it (yes I bought it and played it thru when it was a new release way back when). MGS1 was and is still one of my favorite PS games of all time. MGS2.... like I said, I'm not gonna comment.

MGS3: Snake Eater was problematic for me but once MGS3: Subsistence came out...easily one of my favorite MGS games on the basis of pure game mechanics, even moreso than the much better looking and technically advanced MGS4.

I completed MGS2 yesterday, loved it to bits despite all the cutscenes. Awesome storyline as usual. So go ahead and comment, I am interested to hear what others thought of MGS2. Especially the Raiden stuff. Personally I didn't really mind it. The shift in story viewpoint was a bit different at first but I thought Hideo Kojima still churned out an impressive game.

Currently playing MGS3 and about to face "The End". Really enjoying the camoflauge in the game and interested to see how it proceeds forward. After completing MGS3, think i'll move on to the next "chronological" game and pay a return visit to Shadow Moses Island.

I completed MGS2 yesterday, loved it to bits despite all the cutscenes. Awesome storyline as usual. So go ahead and comment, I am interested to hear what others thought of MGS2. Especially the Raiden stuff. Personally I didn't really mind it. The shift in story viewpoint was a bit different at first but I thought Hideo Kojima still churned out an impressive game.

Currently playing MGS3 and about to face "The End". Really enjoying the camoflauge in the game and interested to see how it proceeds forward. After completing MGS3, think i'll move on to the next "chronological" game and pay a return visit to Shadow Moses Island.

A lot of fans predictably raised a shitstorm when it was revealed Snake wouldnt be the main character of MGS2 and felt Raiden was a poor substitute. Plus that game seemed to be the least ground in reality of the 4 main games, and concept of Arsenal Gear was just pointless. Personally I just thought the game mechanics weren't that great and not much of an evolutionary step beyond MGS1.

MGS3 OTOH, with subsistence ability to go full 3D exploration/camera view (almost necessary because of the lack of Soliton radar) and its clever eating/healing/camoflage system, I was very engrossed in the gameplay. Plus it had fantastic boss battles with far more interesting characters than MGS2 IMHO. And the story actually made sense.

You'll love 'The End' boss battle. It's very engrossing. FYI, there is a cheat/easter egg where you can kill The End very early in the game ahead of your boss encounter if you know where exactly to snipe when you first see him in the game.

I honestly wasn't bothered about the concept of Arsenal Gear and Raiden. Took me a while to get used to him and his sneaking suit. However I enjoyed the games storyline regarding the Patriots.
One question I do have is that at the end of MGS there was the phone call conversation between Revolver Ocelot and Solidus and in MGS2 there was the call between Snake and Otacon. I was just wondering if there was one at the end of MGS3?

Something... is coming...
bigboss.jpg

Kojima Productions is ? surprise, surprise! ? developing a new Metal Gear game, or more specifically, "the latest Metal Gear Solid targeted for high-end consoles and PC." And it's looking for new talent outside of Japan to help create the "'Next' MGS."

The Metal Gear developer will be actively recruiting at next month's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, according to new job listings on its official site. Kojima Productions says it's seeking engineers "to help develop next-gen game engine technology for use with the 'FOX Engine'" ? the developer's in-house game engine powering its unnamed "Project Ogre."

The job listings indicate that Kojima Productions' next Metal Gear game will be developed in Japan and the United States, which is certainly uncommon for original Metal Gear Solid games. Hideo Kojima has said in the past that he's interested in pursuing collaborations with Western developers.

As for details on the "Next" MGS, Kojima Productions did attach the following piece of artwork to its recruitment page.

snake_diamond_dogs.jpg

^ Link?

MGS series has to be one of, if not my favorite, video game series of all time. I have played and beat all but Peace Walker and the early 80s progenitor games. Definitely looking forward to all future releases.

I've always been a fan of Splinter Cell because of the more realistic stealth gameplay, but I am still debating about playing the MGS series just because so many people say it's so good. This new HD collection is quite enticing, but how come it doesn't include MGS1 from the PS1? I don't think it's a good idea to start playing such a story-focused series with the 2nd game.

I honestly wasn't bothered about the concept of Arsenal Gear and Raiden. Took me a while to get used to him and his sneaking suit. However I enjoyed the games storyline regarding the Patriots.
One question I do have is that at the end of MGS there was the phone call conversation between Revolver Ocelot and Solidus and in MGS2 there was the call between Snake and Otacon. I was just wondering if there was one at the end of MGS3?

Nope, just an epilogue scene featuring Naked Snake and:

the revelation that he turns out to be young Big Boss

I've always been a fan of Splinter Cell because of the more realistic stealth gameplay, but I am still debating about playing the MGS series just because so many people say it's so good. This new HD collection is quite enticing, but how come it doesn't include MGS1 from the PS1? I don't think it's a good idea to start playing such a story-focused series with the 2nd game.

Just download the original MGS1 from the Playstation online store. The MGS games are better because of the engrossing story & characters than sheer gameplay mechanics. Not sure you'll like the game the same was as Splinter cell because of the fixed camera angles in MGS1 and 2 especially.

I just bought the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for for my Xbox 360. Gonna start by playing through MGS2.