The most disgusting thing ever

There's a Japanese food that turns stomachs, natto.

The taste isn't that bad, its the smell and mucus-like consistency. My wife eats it with raw egg and squid ink, making it a smelly, black mucus.[/QUOTE]

Funnily enough, I've actually tried Natto. It looked absolutely vile - like beans smothered in mucus. And the Natto I had was with soy sauce which interestingly made it taste like coffee. :?

I had a roommate in college who was from Mexico, he ate this stuff called Huitlacoche or "corn smut".

One day he finally convinced me to eat some and to this day is the only food that has caused me to gag, which made him laugh quite a bit.

Normally the gagging only happens within smut. You're doing it rong.

Bittermelon is probably the most disgusting-tasting thing I've eaten.

http://img205.imageshack.**/img205/9764/bittermelonia4.jpg

Korean Dog (not tried it - nor would I ever, sorry to Korean people I do not blame them its just a cultural difference).

That is disappearing at a pretty rapid pace, and it was really much more of a stereotype than a fact in terms of how often it was/ is eaten.

Last edited:
My number one worst food... rocky mountain oysters, already stated, but I had to second that one.... NASTY!!

Thanks guys...WAS hungry...now just nautious

Edit : That balut thing is not disgusting...It's plain and simple sick. I don't care about coultoural differences...it is sick!

Last edited:
Your own fault for opening the thread called "THE MOST DISGUSTING THING EVER". :p

I seriously think Asian people eat the weirdest shit. I always wonder what caused people to eat old-ass, rotten food and think, "Hey, this seems like a good idea! It smells like ass so it must taste good!"

I seriously think Asian people eat the weirdest shit. I always wonder what caused people to eat old-ass, rotten food and think, "Hey, this seems like a good idea! It smells like ass so it must taste good!"

It's all based on the idea that a lot of Asian food comes from "famine cuisine", where hundreds of years ago people had nothing to eat but that old-ass, rotten food and drink, and found out that it wasn't so bad after all. Technically, cheese, yogurt, and beer are old and rotten if you think about it.

And the great thing about having "famine cuisine" is that we're able to creep the living daylights out of non-Asians just by eating normally :mrgreen:

Blue cheese is awesome on grilled mushrooms!

I'll second that, and stilton is kick-ass on steak. I can't eat it on it's own though, tastes shit. :lol:

I would try dog if it was meat, just sliced like beef. I don't like eating things that still look like they did when they were alive, with the exception of prawns, which I will eat whole, including the head.

I'm guessing Vomit fruit (Noni) hasn't been mentioned. I think the name says everything.

Fried brain sandwich. I've heard it's very popular in this area, but I've never seen one in person thankfully.

cowbrain.jpg

It's exactly what it sounds like. They take a pig (used to be cow before Mad Cow) brain, clean it off, batter it, and then deep fry it. Alton Brown ate one in the first season of Feasting On Asphalt.

I've tried fried centipedes and grasshoppers before.

It was, well, crunchy......

5 words: Kangaroo anus (Oz, where else) and whale anus (Tennessee...).

never even heard of kangaroo anus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg
260px-Century_egg_sliced_open.jpeg

The yolk has the most incredible taste-warping effect on your taste buds, and is fantastically incompatible with orange juice. That, and each egg is a little grenade of ammonia. And yet, I love these things, and none of my American friends understand.

Had some of those when I was in Malaysia (Kuching) not too bad

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned durian yet - and how the stench of the sulfur compounds* it contains is so awful it's been banned from the Singapore Mass Rapid Transit. Although, if you can get past that, apparently it tastes fantastic.

I saw a couple of durians in a Chinese supermarket recently, and should have picked one up as a Jackass-style forfeit at an upcoming barbecue.

* I was going to write "thiols" but the All-Knowing Oracle of Wikipedia says nothing about any thiols contained in there, just hydrogen sulfide. Which is rather nasty in any case...

Bittermelon is probably the most disgusting-tasting thing I've eaten.

http://img205.imageshack.**/img205/9764/bittermelonia4.jpg

bittermelon is notorious for its extremely bitter taste - but when you use some other cooking methods in asian dishes, it's actually pretty tasty.