Ownership Verified: The most sensible car I've ever owned - 2002 BMW 530d Touring M-Sport

Brother Michael

Car(s)
-02 BMW 530d Touring M-Sport
After what have been a rough and tough couple of years - for reasons I will not disclose at this time - life might just about be turning in a forward moving direction again and thus it is finally time for a new car.

Criteria was as follows: big'ish wagon with a diesel engine and RWD/AWD. W211 E-class rose quickly to top candidate, being large, comfortable (55km commute one way), reliable and a decent aftermarket and enthusiast following. However my budget wouldn't allow me to go for a facelifted model, I would've had to settle for pre-2006 models with their SBC brakes. I wasn't keen on shelling out 2000? on replacing the unit on a car worth not even close to five figures...

So the search for a unicorn began - E39 530d M-Sport with a manual gearbox. I loved my old E39 540i to bits and of all the cars I've owned and drive, the E39 still is the most....me. As much as I try to run away from it, I find it useless. I still think it is one of the best looking cars BMW has ever made, I love the interior, I like the (realtive) simplicity of it - the car was launched for 1996 afterall. I simply adore the E39. And looking at it from a more pragmatic viewpoint, it makes sense as well: big, comfortable, realiable good to drive and fairly affordable. Ticks all of the boxes I want in a car. The trouble was there are more or less 250 530d BMWs for sale in Finland (all generations included) out of which around 25 were manual. Out of those half were E61/F11 and another 7-10 examples were high mileage and or base model E39s....Things get even more difficult when I absolutely will not budge on having webasto and xenon lights. Things were looking dim. Maybe I would have to settle for a Mercedes...Until I found this one. Not the most perfect example of its breed, though one couldn't expect such a thing with my budget, but it has everything I wanted and then some.

The shortcomings are:

- miniscule rust on driver's side door and rear fender (like most E39s)
- PDC (parking sensors) are wonky (again, most times the case in E39s)
- rear window wiper is seized (yet another E39 type fault)
- no leather interior in favor of Alcantara
- previous owner has lowered the car with a set of K.A.Ws, making the ride just about on the better side of comfortable but more importantly I now have to watch for potholes and other road surface imperfections way too much

There are, though, many things I like about the car, enough to well overcome the flaws (other than the ideal spec):

- perfect maintenance history, dating back to first owner in Germany including a bunch of receipts and the previous owner is a BMW enthusiast himself
- chip tune on the engine taking the power figures from 190hp/410nm ==> 220hp/550nm.
- E60 545i short shift kit
- USB and AUX connectivity
- mild tint on windows done professionally (saves me the money from doing it)
- It doesn't have Servotronic steering (adjusts according to speed) - I prefer the heavy, linear steering at all speeds.
- muffler delete means it sounds quite decent for an old diesel

After the first 500 or so kilometres I am rather happy with my purchase. By far the most notable aspect is the amount of torque. Now I've had an Audi S8, E39 540i and a V70R Volvo but the shock this thing gave me on the way home was sizeable. Off the line it's not anything too special but after 2000rpm, 80km/h on 3rd gear this will, I'm fairly sure, smoke my old 540i of the same E39 variant. Another interesting thing is for a diesel it is rather rev happy and I so wish it'd go another 500rpm (redline at 4500rpm). I had the same bewilderment in the 540i - DaBoom assured me then this is a case of BMW being...well...BMW. Even big V8s and diesels need to be like this, even if it means feeling (relatevily) lackluster on lower revs. Also, a 6th gear would be very welcome but seeing how that was never possible for the E39 save it for the 540i/M5 variants, this is a useless complaint. Can't comment on fuel economy quite yet but seems to be doing under 6L/100km in 80% highway/20% twisty backroad driving.

The ride is just about bearable on on the B-roads by our house but highway driving is a breeze. The shocks and springs are 6 months old so I'm not going to swap them out even if I maintain E39 M-sport chassis & suspension setup has to be the best factory "sport" suspension ever designed. I can live with this. Was thinking prior to purchase to get a set of 18" wheels for next summer but have decided since to stick with the current 235/45R17 tire size to preserve the remaining comfort levels.

Other than that, not much to report yet. Hopefully many trouble free miles ahead and more importantly hoping to keep this one for a long time.

Couple of quick iPhone photos of a dirty, dusty car. Will get some proper ones once I have the car detailed (paging public...).

IMG_2612.JPGIMG_2611.JPGIMG_2610.JPGIMG_2613.JPG

Edit: IMG_2820.jpg

Last edited:
...He's Alive!

But it's diesel...and you'll be poisoning us all with teh nitrogen oxidez...and it's German...and that's where the nazis came from...and it's not a hybrid...

But seriously...one of the best looking BMW designs ever. Great choice!

E39

Wagon

Manual

That blue :love:

Last edited:
So very nice!

The car looks superb with the 17" wheels, never change them!
Now it simply needs a wash, some polishing and a coat of wax/sealant/coating

Things get even more difficult when I absolutely will not budge on having webasto and xenon lights. Things were looking dim.
Yes, things tend to get rather dim without decent headlights. :p

I totally understand this part - there's no way in hell I'll ever get a daily driver again without those two options... and a handful others, too. But those two are absolutely on the must-have list.

Congrats on the purchase. E39 tourings are awesome and this is by far the best engine option. I would rather have a Steptronic though, but let's not go there :p

Last edited:
Solid purchase man, and good to see you around these parts again. Has the engine had the swirl flap thingies removed or was it a thing with these engines?

Regarding detai
ling, it's been so long since I've dailied a car worth keeping clean that I don't know if I know how to do that anymore... :p

ohh myyy <3 gratz!

What's the kilometerage? :)

I would rather have a Steptronic though, but let's not go there :p

No you wouldn't. The GM manufactured Hydramatic couldn't even handle the stock engine, imagine what'd happen to it with power increase. They are notoriously brittle and impossible to fix. When it goes, it goes completely and you have to buy a new one.

So Has the engine had the swirl flap thingies removed or was it a thing with these engines?

They have not been removed as it never had them in the first place. Only an issue with automatic transmissioned cars. Yet another reason not to have the GM autobox.

What's the kilometerage? :)

288.000km

Also just realised I don't have a proof pic. I'll post one tomorrow. So far nothing special to report. Other than wheelspin on 3rd gear at 60km/h on a damp road. Love me some torque ! Fuel mileage after the first 1500km is hovering around 5.9-6.0L/km which isn't all that bad considering what's under the hood. With a mixture of around 80% highway/20% twisty B-roads driven...enthusiastically and also 100-150km of towing I was expecting mid to high 6's L/100km.

No you wouldn't. The GM manufactured Hydramatic couldn't even handle the stock engine, imagine what'd happen to it with power increase. They are notoriously brittle and impossible to fix. When it goes, it goes completely and you have to buy a new one.

I told Adunaphel that, and he promptly told me I was wrong. He happens to own an E46 330d Steptronic. :p

But I guess there's a reason why the Alpina version of the E39 530d got a ZF unit instead. AFAIK a version of the same one they used in most Fast Germans? of the era, like the RS6 and so forth. Wonder why BMW didn't just use that for the 330d and 530d as well.

Last edited:
It's clean !

IMG_2771.jpgIMG_2778.jpgIMG_2790.jpgIMG_2793.jpgIMG_2786.jpgIMG_2783.jpg

Can vouch for Ammo detailing products. Also proofpic finally updated into first post.
still getting 5.8L/100km fuel mileage and soooooo comfortable with my daily commute of 55km. Also, it is nice to have a car again with which overtaking is a joy instead of a gamble. :burnrubber:

Wasn't too sure about the whole lowering business but now having spent some time on the road I quite like it. I spend 90% of my driving on highways so the added steadiness is a nice plus. Other than that, nothing major to report. Winter tires going on soon enough. Gonna be interesting to see what snow + RWD + 500nm does :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Gonna be interesting to see what snow + RWD + 500nm does :mrgreen:

It's going to be lots of slightly sideways action interrupted by a blinky traction control light and a slap on the wrist from the electronics. :p

Daymn! That?s a beauty!
You?re seriously making me want one.