The Music Thread

meat loaf is still releasing albums? :woot:

Yea, he just rereleased the Bat Out Of Hell album as a live version with a full orchastra backing. I've heard it's pants though, his voice isn't what it used to be. Between me and my mum we have all of his other albums though, some on LP and some on CD.

we're talking about the singer not the food :p
j/k :lol:

I'm going to revive this dying thread to enthusiastically endorse Beck's new album 'Guero'. He's gone back to a sound similar to his albums 'Midnight Vultures' and 'Odelay', but has thrown in some incredible surprises. The greatest part about the album (the incredible surprise) is quite a few of the songs use what sounds like synthesizers out of arcade machines or video game consoles. Songs like 'Chain Reaction' and 'Summer Girl' open with these amazing lo-fi video game synth hooks.

If you get 'Guero' and like what you hear, I would strongly suggest you check out the 'Hell Yes EP'. It's four remixed tracks from 'Guero' by a group called 8-Bit. They are all done with what sounds like modded GameBoy and Commodore 64 synths and are absolutely brilliant. If you were a video game player in the 80s and early 90s, I guarantee you will love this EP.

'Guero' was released in stores today, and the 'Hell Yes EP' is currently available through iTunes. Check it out! :music:

Just as a slight correction, the Beck album has been delayed so it isn't available yet. :x I'm sure with a bit of searching (you know where) you could find a copy of it though. :p

Ok, I'll write something too, since I'm in the mood after hearing Apocalyptica's new album. I don't know how popular this Finnish group is in other countries, but it seems to be pretty big here and in some European countries. Anyway, these guys play (or used to play) metal music by 4 cellos. At first they just played Metallica's and some other metal bands' music, but after a while they started to write their own stuff. And I loved last two albums.

Now there are 3 cellos left, and style has changed a little... In first track guitars and drums dominate and I hardly can hear cellos at all. Plus they used a singer from Rasmus (another sucessfull Finnish group), and his voice is quite annoying IMHO. I think their music works best without vocal at all. But next track put everything in it's places, again that great dramatic Apocalyptica sound :thumbsup: Same feeling remains to the end of an album, until reaching it's peak with "Betrayal/Forgiveness". It starts very hard and fast with thunder-like drumming by Dave Lombardo and ends with slow and peaceful whining of cello. After which comes in my opinion the best track in this album - "Ruska". Very very beautiful, calm and... just great track :)

If you haven't heard Apocalyptica before, I really recommend giving it a try.

CDs in the car at the moment

Dirty Vegas
Kosheen - Resist
Zoot Woman - Zoot Woman
Royksopp - Melody AM
Franz Ferdinand
Scissor Sisters
Mylo - Destroy Rock and Roll
Infusion - Six Feet Above Yesterday
Stonebridge - Can't get Enough
Depeche Mode - Remixes
The Music - Welcome to the North

^^I'm not a big Sum 41 fan, but I think there is a difference, Sum 41 make their own music, like it or not, Busted is a boyband that plays "punk".

I found (for me he's new) a new artist, Joe Satriani. I started with 'Surfing with The Alien' and now own 3 of his albums. The music is instrumental and is done with electrical guitar, I think he's the Jimi Hendrix of today :D. It's great music! :thumbsup:

For an impression of my music taste, click here

Yea, Satriani kicks ass. If you like his music, you should check out Steve Vai (fastest guitarist in the world) and perhaps Buckethead too (got fame by playing (extremely well) with the 'new' version of Guns n' Roses).

I'm a big Slash fan myself :D

Currently Listening To: Someday I'll Be Saturday Night - Bon Jovi - Cross Road: 14 Classic Grooves (1994)

Steve Vai rocks aswell yes. He, Joe and Malmsteen do the 'G3', it's an event with the 3 best guitarists (them).
What I did notice, not only the guitarists rock, but Joe and Steve have pretty damned good drummers actually. :shock:

Booming: Steve Vai - Freak Show Excess

8)

2 days ago there was a "The Tsunami - Crisis in Asia concert in Bristol". It was airing live on internet. Patrick Duff & Alex Lee, Fuzz Against Junk, The Coral, Robert Plant, Damon Albarn, Massive Attack, Portishead. To be hones I don't know most of these names, but the concert is cool :)

So here's a recording:

Windows Media HIGH:
http://live.ld.mediawave.co.uk/live/wmshigh.asx
Windows Media LOW:
http://live.ld.mediawave.co.uk/live/wmslow.asx

Real Media HIGH:
http://mwtraffic.ld.mediawave.co.uk/playout/playlist.ram?id=96dc3e938d8c47899ed99535cd81df19&type=2
Real Media LOW:
http://mwtraffic.ld.mediawave.co.uk/playout/playlist.ram?id=12e326f35a704c189c094c225efc20ab&type=2

jasonchiu said:
you can down load the new 50 cent cent album if u wnat

I think I'll pass :lol:

Currently Listening To: Silent Night (Hidden Track) - Damien Rice - O (2002)

***EDIT - Nice link btw MXM :)

sucks for most artisit nower days. lose so many sales from the internet. then again they get to ad. on it so i guess it counterbalances

From what I understand is that most artists make their money from concerts. It's the agents who take a huge fucking cut out of CD sales.

^ It's not the agents, it's the record label. However, the amount of albums an artist sells does have a big impact on how much money they make. A lot of artists live off of the signing bonuses they get from labels when they sign a contract. If you are an artist that is guaranteed to sell X amount of albums in X amount of time, the record label will gives you a signing bonus based on that. Artists still do make a lot of money off of concerts, but for most, the majority of their money comes form signing bonuses.

^thanks for explaining :).