The Music Thread

I accidentally found out that Saliva have re-recorded some old tracks from yonks ago. The first being a track they made for the PS2 game Spyhunter in 2001. It's probably objectively terrible and I don't really like it that much myself, but it reminds me of the game. I was looking for it in Spotify and found the new version instead.

Original:

Re-recorded:

They also have a re-recorded version Your Disease on the same EP, which is also memorable as it was featured in the trailer for the first Colin McRae: DiRT game. I like this one more than the cheesy Spyhunter track.

Huh. Nice.

Apparently Trent Reznor hates this video. I disagree. Also a big fan of the song itself.

Stumbled across this while painting it black and listening to the Rolling Stones:

I like this style of cover, similar to the Lorde cover of Everybody Wants To Rule The World. I've never listened to Hidden Citizens before, will be checking out more of their stuff.

I had a hard time falling back to sleep and listened to this version last night.

Quite different to this cover (that I discovered on the Stir Of Echoes soundtrack)

I like the Westworld version for going to sleep, but damn. ?

I've always loved this oddball cover of "Paint it black"

In other news...
"I'm pissed, leave me alone, lemme work it out...through dance"
"You won't like me 'til I've had my dance"

Saw this pop up on reddit as a nostalgia post, and damn if it didn't bring back memories.
They broke up in 2001, but apparently are now back together and making new music.

...aaand now that my mother isn't standing over me, wanting me to make a phone call for her (despite her fancy new hearing aids streaming calls directly, she still can't hear anything), I can tell the story of the invite only acoustic show these guys did in Sydney just after 9/11 happened.

Got a ticket through a friend, as did the guy who was apparently interested in me at the time. SW were his all time favourite band, and he was SO proud of the fact that just like the lead singer, who was his personal idol, he name was also Chris.
He spent the entire evening never leaving my side, which was rather annoying, and wasn't in any way convincing me that I should go out with him - quite the opposite.

When the two guys in the band finished their performance, they wandered the room and mingled with the 100 or so people in attendance. Of course talk turned to unfolding events in the US, and the fact that they had been supposed to fly home the next day, but with all the airspace closed, there was no idea when they'd be able to return.

When singer Chris made his way around to our group, awkward Chris got even more awkward worshipping his idol. So singer Chris started ignoring him and chatting to me, being really flirty. Awkward Chris had NO CLUE how to deal with this - his idol, flirting with the girl he liked. Damn it was funny.

Anyhow, the record company people had a bunch of posters of the album cover that they were promoting, set up a table, and some markers, and we set about queuing for autographs.
Most of the girls' posters ended up with the the name of the hotel and their room number on it as well, with a verbal invite to "bring as many of your girl friends as you like, but not so many guys", as they were having a party, since they were stuck there for the foreseeable future.
The touring guitarist literally nodded in awkward Chris' direction as he said "not too many guys".

Couple of days later they met up with a group of us at Taronga Zoo and did some city sightseeing, and they turned out to be super nice guys. It was one of those times where you almost wish there'd been camera phones and such as there are now, because it'd be great to have photos from that day. I'm sure I still have the signed poster, and my copy of the album cover is signed as well.

Much later edit: Found the CD…poster will be somewhere I’m sure.
View attachment 3561927

That's super cool. A friend of mine had dinner with him to talk about something to do with photography I think...I don't remember the details, but only remember that my friend said he was really super cool, down-to-earth, and also much shorter than he was expecting.

Ben from Crimson Guitars was just talking about Stabbing Westward a couple of months ago, and i got on a SW kick for a while, but didn't know they were doing anything new. Apparently new music coming later this year, a few tour dates this year and likely next, and I stumbled upon this 2020 recording of The Cure's "Burn".

That's super cool. A friend of mine had dinner with him to talk about something to do with photography I think...I don't remember the details, but only remember that my friend said he was really super cool, down-to-earth, and also much shorter than he was expecting.

Ben from Crimson Guitars was just talking about Stabbing Westward a couple of months ago, and i got on a SW kick for a while, but didn't know they were doing anything new. Apparently new music coming later this year, a few tour dates this year and likely next, and I stumbled upon this 2020 recording of The Cure's "Burn".
Oh yeah, Chris Hall is super short! He is a super nice, very intelligent guy.
I've heard in interviews that they're going to release a bunch of EP's that make up a full album, as they realise that most people's attention spans aren't that long, and with itunes and the like, they end up buying only one or two songs from an album anyway.

After the end of SW in 2003 or so, he formed another band that went through a few genres, called The Dreaming, until a couple of the guys from Stabbing joined, someone asked them to do a one-off show as Stabbing, and they thought "Why not?"

This song by The Dreaming has some SW feel to it, but it's also a pretty sharp commentary on the age of social media.

Oh, man...Just saw they are playing with Front 242 in Chicago in a week and a half. If I still live back home in Wisconsin, I'd already be asking to trade shifts with someone to get that night off (I'm assuming I'd still be working the same dead-end retail jobs 25 years later :lmao: )

I've recently been chasing down interesting covers of pop and rock songs. I started with folksy covers for relaxing at the end of the day, but stumbled upon this group Scary Pockets that does funk covers.

I've gone down a rabbit hole with these guys, they have a pretty deep catalog on YouTube with everything from Billie Eilish to Bruce Springsteen.

I'm a sucker for a good cover song (and a bad one, too)

Oh, yeah, Scary Pockets is super fun. The founder of that band, and half of Pomplemoose, is the CEO of Patreon.

[edit: suggestions moved to the next page]

Last edited: