The Music Thread

Ha! I was in the middle of adding a WHOLE bunch of examples to my previous post, which included Ricardo Queso. :) But since it got new-paged, I'll re-paste it here. :)

I'm a sucker for a good cover song (and a bad one, too)

Oh, yeah, Scary Pockets is super fun. The founder of that band, and half of Pomplamoose, is the CEO of Patreon.

The big one in the "Youtube Covers in mixed-up genres" space is Postmodern Jukebox. They've been around for years and years, and have a huge catalog. Then, if you like a particular singer, search for them as a "featured" singer on lots and lots of other channels. You'll see a few familiar faces from the Scary Pockets channel.

Me first and the Gimme Gimmes are a super group of members of other pop-punk bands (NOFX, Lagwagon, etc), doing pop-punk covers of everything from John Denver and Dolly Parton to Devo and Elton John.

Also check out:
Brass against who do rock covers, with a brass band with a guitar player and a drummer...everything from Rage Against the Machine to Tool, to Nine Inch Nails, to Living Color. Probably my favorite:

A.V. Club Undercover (they aren't around anymore, but lots of people have re-uploaded their videos). It was The Onion's media outlet, inviting bands in to pick from a list of cover songs. GWAR did "Carry On Wayward Son", Ted Leo and the Pharmacists did "Everybody Wants to Rule the World", They Might Be Giants covered Cumbawumba's "Tubthumping"

Frog leap Studios - One man band does metal covers. I love their cover of Toto's "Africa".

Puddles Pity Party: a very tall, very sad clown, who does mostly down-tempo, stripped-down covers)

Johnny Cash's "American" album series (I believe there were 5) were mostly all covers. Everything from the most famous NIN cover, to Nick Cave, Depeche Mode, Soundgarden, Tom Petty, Hank Williams, The Eagles, etc.
  • Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage"
  • Nick Cave's "Mercy Seat":

Iron Horse has two "Bluegrass Tribute to Metallica" albums (Fade to Bluegrass 1 and 2) and they are both excellent just as bluegrass albums on their own, completely separate from being Metallica covers.

Cowboy Junkies put out an album called "Neath Your Covers" which I like a lot. Springsteen's "Thunder Road", "Helpless" from Neil Young

There's a compilation album called "Soul Tribute to the Beatles" which has probably one of my top 10 songs of all time: Wilson Pickett's cover of "Hey Jude". It's got The Supremes, Ike & Tina Turner, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops, Fats Domino, Earth, Wind & Fire, Otis Reading...all covering songs from The Beatles.

Apocalyptica was a cello quartet put out an album of Metallica covers. They put out a 2nd album with Much better production that was some metallic covers, but also Faith No More and Sepultura, and added drums and some vocals (including Corey Taylor from Slipknot). 3rd album had more originals, and more vocals. I'm not sure what they've done after their 3rd album, though.

Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine. A guy in a tiger-print velvet tuxedo jacket, belting out Vegas-style lounge covers of everything from GNR, to System of a Down to The White Stripes, to Outkast, to Madonna, to Alice in Chains, to Rush, to White Zombie and U2.

Last edited:
I like this 2000s era version of Tide is High by Germany's most popular artist (imo).

Seeed is popular? ?‍♂️

Also, metal covers are an easy way to make pop songs better. :D

I was surprised to find that out. According to their Wikipedia page, they are quite popular.

Apocalyptica was a cello quartet put out an album of Metallica covers. They put out a 2nd album with Much better production that was some metallic covers, but also Faith No More and Sepultura, and added drums and some vocals (including Corey Taylor from Slipknot). 3rd album had more originals, and more vocals. I'm not sure what they've done after their 3rd album, though.
They're still going, put out a few more albums since then, but mostly do original songs now. They did tour the anniversary of the Metallica covers album in 2019 (I went to see them at the Sydney Opera House). They just released a new album as Covid wiped out the music industry, so they'll probably start touring on that, which was a bunch of instrumentals. They still do the occasional collab with other artists.

More cover song suggestions:

I've been "over" this song for about 25 years, but damn they did a cool thing with it:

These guys are a lot of fun, although their youtube channel is mostly interviews, sketches and album reviews with their bandleader/host Gwarsinio Hall...but there's quite a few covers buried in there which aren't all in their "performances" playlist. They've done covers with people from Tool, Type-O, Mastadon, High on Fire, Testament, Melvins, My Chemical Romance, Les Claypool, and a bunch of smaller metal bands.

Some highlights:

One doesn't hear many covers of GNR's "Rocket Queen"

As we approach Halloween, may I present: The Merkins, who do horror-themed covers:

A Two personal favorites:
j

Some other covers I really like:
  • Snake River Conspiracy's cover of The Smiths' "How Soon is Now?"
  • Snake River Conspiracy's cover of The Cure's "Love Song"
  • Godhead's cover of The Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby"
  • Firewater's cover of Tom Waits' "Diamonds and Gold" (from their brilliantly-titled cover album, "Songs We Should Have Written"
  • Eva Cassidy's cover of Simon & Garfunkle's "Kathy's Song"
  • Cake's cover of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs"
  • Bree Sharp's cover of Bryan Adams' "Boys of Summer"
  • Beverly Knight's cover of Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart"
  • Austin Lounge Lizards' cover of Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage"
  • 4 Non Blonds cover of Led Zeppelin's "Misty Mountain Hop"
  • PPP's cover of Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover"
  • Fiona Apple's cover of Jimi Hendrix's "Angel"
  • Alan Price's cover of Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "I Put a Spell on You"
  • Primus's cover of Charlie Daniels' "The Devil Went to Georgia"
  • Powerman 5000's cover of The Cars' "Let the Good Times Roll"
  • Yesterday's New Quintet cover of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition"
  • Sister Machine Gun's cover of Icicle Works' "(Birds Fly) Whisper to a Scream", but I can't find a link to it...
  • Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings' cover of Janet Jackson's "What Have You Done For Me Lately"
  • Urge Overkill's cover of Neil Diamond's "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon"

Reactions: lip
Holy shit, one post about a few covers and now I've got hours of content to explore - and that's before I chase each of these individual rabbit holes! :cool:

This rocks.

EDIT:
How could we forget Steve'n'Seagulls?

Last edited:

How is this any different?

but then there is....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lip
I'm normally "meh" on old AC/DC or Rolling Stones cover songs, but this cover of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction is fun, especially once it gets goin':

I'm normally "meh" on old AC/DC or Rolling Stones cover songs, but this cover of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction is fun, especially once it gets goin':
IM SORRY, WHAT.

HOW HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF DEVO?!

Yes. And my point stands.

But both of our arguments are moot as it's an Otis Redding cover, anyway. :lmao:
don't care.

Rolling Rock's version was shit.

"can't get no, no no no. *doo dah, doo* hey hey hey."

Great cover of Crazy Train.

Speaking of Osbourne and covers. I've never heard heard this song in a higher quality like this, I remember getting it off of Limewire and have kept that file since because I've never been able to find another version with better quality.