The netbook thread

the guys I saw who had it, had integrated the netbook into the dash so it had a bigass screen...

Alternatively, you can build it into the glovebox, with a swivel tilt thingy so you can tilt it sideways.
Upshot of this is that you can keep it powered via the cigarette lighter

I'rm actually quite intrigued about this...tell me how you're getting along, so I can copy you :p

If you got a big ass American car like a Suburban you can just put your netbook on the center console... serious.

But again, if you're going to build a housing for your netbook just for navigation it would be cheaper to just spend 100 or so monies on a basic GPS.

A workmate gave me iGo for my netbook and it looks pretty good, confirmed to work with my bluetooth GPS. Not that I've gone anywhere with it.

If you're interested, PM me, I can help you legally acquire it, if you know what I mean. :mrgreen:

Surely Vista + 2GB RAM in a netbook = slow and fiery death?

Actually, it's pretty darn not bad. It's Vista Basic, so it doesn't have a lot of the "features" that could slow it down. It's faster than my old 1.4gHz ACER laptop.

On "power save" mode and the (LED back-lit) brightness set to a reasonable brightness, I got 5.75hours of word processing with low-volume music played through headphones. Not bad in a 3lb 11" 250GB netbook.

Apparently, it's got a detuned Athlon processor which is just working hard enough to still need a fan running...almost constantly.

I'm wondering how cheap the netbook Windows 7 upgrade from Vista Basic will be...wonder if it'll even be possible to buy that version, aftermarket. :p

In any event, I'm enjoying it. It's large enough that I'm not straining with to 1378x766 (or whatever it is) resolution, the keyboard is good sized, the wireless is good, the wrist rests are not glossy, and with the 6-cell battery sticking out the back, it makes for a very sturdy handle for one-handed walkin' 'round computing.

I was going to get an EEE PC 1005, but they were out. Good thing, too. This will primarily be a multi-media jukebox, and I'm already at 158GB.

Only downsides so far:
1) Why have all computers suddenly turned to "piano black" ie fingerprint magnet shiny black plastic? Thankfully, only the screen bezel and the lid are glossy.
2) The webcam is utter shit at .3MP...but I used it once (please see the NSFW forum*)
3) Because it's 11" or so screen, it was hard to find a case for it. Plenty for 8.9 and 10" or more than 12, but...not so much with 11". Went to Best Buy, Office Depot and Fry's and only found two...one neoprene sleeve, and one sort of messenger bag lookin' thing.

*kidding...no one wants to see that.

Last edited:
Piano black finish fucking blows... my Eee is basically all that, except for the screen bezel on the inside and under the chassis.

I was reading something where some represntative from Asus was claiming that they use this glossy black garbage because over in the Far East piano finish is apparently synonymous with high-end goods. I guess it didn't occur to them that a portable computer is handled frequenltly.

Oh that reminds me, I need to clean this damn thing. Good thing I just washed my micro fibre cloth.

Yeah, but you would be shunned if you were seen carrying a matte laptop around the Far East... shunned I tell you! :p

I think Asus may have wised up since the new variation of the model I have has a matte finish around the keyboard area at least, although it's the chepeast, ugliest plastic you've ever seen.

My Gigabyte has the same thing - but thankfully only the top lid. It collects fingerprints so much, I call it 'my little detective'.

Makes me want to take 1000 grit sandpaper to it.

It collects fingerprints so much, I call it 'my little detective'.

:lol: Good one.

I wish mine were just on the lid... the worst is having that shiny crap where you rest your palms. I really want to know who thought it was a good idea to put shiny plastic where you put sweaty, oily palms for hours on end.

Both my TV and my computer monitor both have shiny bezels. I'm constantly dusting.

Now they are selling injet printers and all-in-ones with shiny black plastic shells! My matte plastic ones hide dist very well...except on the little shiny screen. While it may look nice when you open the box, 2 weeks later it'll look like ass.

mine only has the lid that's shiny, which is okay

then again it's meant to be used, so it's not okay to have it super sparkly clean at any time

I rock a pearl white Eee, have had it since November. It's alright, it jars every now and then if I have too many tabs on, but overall and for the price it's very useable when away from home. I have a SD card in which I keep some movies, and despite not being very Linux-skilled I've managed to get VLC rolling on it. I've also had to hit factory reset about four times thanks to screwing it up completely with updates it's suggested by itself. I also can't update FF, since that'll destroy the VLC for some reason.

FYI for people who are tired of their netbooks color/design, there's this

I've not tried them myself but I hear good things...

Purchased on Amazon today the Toshiba NB205

10.1"
9.5 hour battery (apparently)
160GB HD
Bluetooth (I really wanted this feature, which the lower end netbooks didn't have integrated)
Full-Size keyboard (the acer I saw at the wholesale club had such a tiny keyboard, so all the netbooks I looked at I made sure they had a decent sized keyboard).

Hopefully I made a good choice. It was between the toshiba, and the Asus 1005 HA (which is currently #1 on Amazon) and boasts a 10.5 hour battery life.

FYI for people who are tired of their netbooks color/design, there's this

I've not tried them myself but I hear good things...
Ive had one on my Macbook for about a year, and it's starting to show it's age. Corners peeling, starting to bubble up, etc.

I have a purple hard shell (i think from incase) on my macbook which has held up pretty well, and it looks awesome.

I cancelled my Toshiba on amazon. Few reasons, saw a couple of negative reviews on the audio and other stuff. Also, I went with the super saver (free) shipping on amazon...but they will only ship it in 5 days (uh, why?) and delivery estimate is aug 11-17. So it may end up taking 18 days to get to me? No thanks.

I'm going with the Asus 1005HA now.

Purchased on Amazon today the Toshiba NB205

10.1"
9.5 hour battery (apparently)
160GB HD
Bluetooth (I really wanted this feature, which the lower end netbooks didn't have integrated)
Full-Size keyboard (the acer I saw at the wholesale club had such a tiny keyboard, so all the netbooks I looked at I made sure they had a decent sized keyboard).

Hopefully I made a good choice. It was between the toshiba, and the Asus 1005 HA (which is currently #1 on Amazon) and boasts a 10.5 hour battery life.

I got my 9" Acer from a wholesale club... (BJ's)

Keyboard is small but the trick is, it has large gaps between the keys. You get used to typing quickly and full keyboards feel big.

dodged a bullet there Firecat... I've read a couple of reviews on that Toshiba, and "abysmal" is the best rating i've seen.

I think you're pretty safe with the ASUS though, they invented the whole netbook trend

Thanks....I'm really looking forward to testing it out.