MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
Last edited:
Rear-wheel steering, interesting.

They have finally catched-up with the Japanese then :mrgreen:

3046d1203531260-preludes-4ws-system-3gen21.jpg

Jokes aside, it surely is going to be ultra-fast, the comparisons with the sucessive evolutions of the GT-R are going to be interesting.

Yes.......
Please.......
:drool:

Porsche is set to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the 911 Turbo with the introduction of the fastest, most powerful and most technically sophisticated model yet ? the new 991-series.

The sixth-generation of the legendary 911 Turbo, pictured here in a series of official photographs for the first time ahead of a planned public unveiling at the Frankfurt motor show in early September, will be offered from the outset of Australian sales in early 2014 with the choice of two power outputs.

In standard Turbo guise, the new four-wheel drive 911 flagship?s force-fed 3.8-litre flat six-cylinder petrol engine produces 15kW more than its direct predecessor at 383kW ? double that of the original 1974 model, whose feisty turbocharged 3.0-litre flat six produced what was considered a prodigious 191kW at the time.

In more sporting Turbo S guise, the new 911 Turbo?s reserves swell by 22kW over the previous 997-series model to 412kW ? sufficient to provide the initial coupe version with claimed 0-100km/h acceleration in a McLaren MP4-12 C equaling 3.1sec together with a 318km/h top speed.
Advertisement

As with all recent 911 models, the new Turbo has grown in size. Length is up by 40mm at 4490mm while width extends 28mm beyond that of the latest Carrera 4 to 1878mm owing to customary flared rear wings.

Despite being bigger than ever, the adoption of aluminium in both the inner and outer body structure is claimed to see the new car hit the scales under the 1570kg of the old 911 Turbo for a vastly improved power to weight ratio.

The increase in external dimensions also brings a significant change in chassis geometry, with the wheelbase growing by 100mm to 2450mm and the front and rear tracks extending well beyond the 1490mm and 1550mm of the old model. Larger wheelhouses also see the fitment of 20 inch wheels ? those on the Turbo S featuring centre-lock wheels nuts as standard.

In line with the latest 911 GT3, the new 911 Turbo also receives four-wheel steering in a move Porsche claims provides it with new levels of agility and the ability to lap the Nurburgring in a time it says undercuts that of the iconic Carrera GT at a claimed 7mins 30sec. It forms part of a new steering system, which adopts electro-mechanical operation for the first time.

Also included is a new active aerodynamic package with a three stage front spoiler that helps to add significant downforce to the front axle. It works in combination with a modified three-stage rear spoiler to provide vastly improved levels of overall downforce.

Further developments brought to the new car include Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control, which uses hydraulically operated anti roll bars to reduce body roll, pitch and lift. It comes as standard on the new 911 Turbos, and in combination with dynamic engine mounts, carbon ceramic brakes and full LED headlamps will also form part of the Sport Chrono package available as an option on the 911 Turbo.

The new 911 Turbo?s engine is development of the twin-turbocharged 3.8-litre flat six-cylinder direct injection petrol unit used by its predecessor.

The respective 15kW and 22kW gains for the new Turbo and Turbo S have been achieved through revisions to the variable vane turbochargers and modifications to the combustion process as well as subtle increases in boost pressure and a new electronic management system, according to sources at Porsche?s Weissach engineering headquarters.

At 412kW, the Turbo S?s peak power output relates to a specific output of almost 109kW per litre. Porsche has yet to confirm the torque rating of its new engine, but indications are it has risen above the 700Nm of the old model.

By comparison, the 458 Italia?s naturally aspirated 4.5-litre V8 develops 419kW and 540Nm, while the MP4-12 C?s turbocharged 3.8-litre V6 kicks out 460kW and 600Nm.

Reacting to criticism of the old 911 Turbo, the new model receives a so-called sound symposer to further accentuate the sound of the inlet manifold and heighten the overall acoustic qualities of the revised engine.

For the first time since its introduction to the Porsche line-up four decades ago, the 911 Turbo goes without a manual gearbox.

As with the new 911 GT3, the new model will be sold exclusively with a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox whose new start/stop function and ability to cut engine revs to an idle on prolonged periods of trailing throttle is claimed to provide it with a 16 per cent improvement in combined cycle fuel consumption over the old model at 9.7L/100km for both the Turbo and Turbo S.

Also included is a revised multi-plate clutch four wheel drive system. It now sports water cooling for improved efficiency and an added ability to place the 911 Turbo?s reserves to the road. Porsche claims a 0-100km/h time of 3.2sec for the Turbo and 3.1sec for the Turbo S ? improvements of 0.2sec respectively over the old models. Porsche also quotes a top speed that is 3km/h faster than the old 911 Turbo at 318km/h.

Meanwhile, the new Porsche 911 Turbo will once again form the basis of a hardened 911 GT2 that is slated to appear at next year?s Geneva motor show.

The rear-wheel drive GT2 borrows the mechanical package of the new Turbo S, including its 412kW version of Porsche?s twin-turbocharged 3.8-litre flat six and seven-speed dual clutch gearbox ? a combination that a high-ranking Porsche official hinted will provide the new coupe with straight line performance to ?comprehensively outgun? the previous model, which posted an official 0-100km/h time of 3.7sec and top speed of 329km/h.

Other developments include the adoption of the Porsche?s new four-wheel steer system for added straight line stability in combination with improved agility.

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/porsche-911-turbo-revealed-20130503-2iy7o.html

Last edited:
I'll take one in white, one in black, and a GT3 for the track, please.

Baring in mind how fast the old one was, this, being both lighter and more powerful is going to be devastatingly fast. Road & Track managed to measure a 2.8 to 60 mph with the old Turbo S, so this should improve on that further.

11.jpg

07.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Last edited:
It's just a beetle with two turbos strapped on it!

The "sound symposer" seems interesting.. How will it make the turbo induction noise sound like? Honestly I can't hear any on my car, just the cooling fan and a bit of exhaust.

Also don't like the fact you can't get one with manual. I'd prefer a Carrera S.

Yep.
That rear is looking really good.

I actually think the 991 is a sexy car. However, I think the last gen's side scoops looked more aggressive, and I preferred them. That said, the rest of it looks very nice.

GT3 - 137.000 EUR
Turbo - 162.000 EUR
Turbo S - 195.000 EUR

Lord, forgive me.

I must be getting soft in my old age. I want one...... this is from a man who wanted NOTHING to do with a P car.

Agree. Turbo is amazing but... you can't beat 475 horsepower in a car like that for those dollars.
Some people would probably love to disagree with you.
But I can't. God I love that GT3.

GT3 - 137.000 EUR
Turbo - 162.000 EUR
Turbo S - 195.000 EUR
Already with the 997 whenever I saw a Turbo on the road I just couldn?t stop thinking "you got the wrong 997, old man". With the 991, this also seems to be the case. I get the Idea behind the Turbo, make no mistake ... I just could never, ever walk past a GT3 in a Porsche Showroom.

The GT3 is too low for snowy roads :p

And it has semi slicks...

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I would use Turbo in winter.