The "New Toys" Thread

I'm snapping my fingers as hard as I can, but I still have an M7... :(

:lol:

Oh, hey, a box awaiting me at the office this morning:

DNjtnDl.jpg

gcI1pLe.jpg

Hooray!

(Certified refurbished mid-2014 Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" with a 2.6GHz dual-core i5, 8GB RAM, and 128GB SSD. My first (non-RPi, non-iPhone) personal computer in a year and a half...)

CM Storm Quickfire XT (Cherry MX brown)

647662_0_f.jpg

I needed a dual SIM phone so I decided to take a step to the dark side and got this:

microsoft-lumia-640-black-gallery-img-1-090415.jpg

M$ Lumia 640 Black

Liking it so far, the UI is sleek and smooth. I'm just missing Pixel Dungeon, but I can play that on the tablet.

I needed a dual SIM phone so I decided to take a step to the dark side and got this:

microsoft-lumia-640-black-gallery-img-1-090415.jpg

M$ Lumia 640 Black

Liking it so far, the UI is sleek and smooth. I'm just missing Pixel Dungeon, but I can play that on the tablet.

Welcome, welcome. Enjoy the complimentary cookies. Cortana will answer any questions you have. :p

Got myself some orientation:

81RkwU00zjL._SL1500_.jpg

17979890876_df00e424be_o.jpg

And a case to keep it in when not needed:

91gZj-y8WYL._SL1500_.jpg

Got it for 129 Euros. When you consider that an in-car sat nav easily costs ten times that much, it's really a bargain. Especially when you have map updates for free and such nice gimmicks as a speed camera warner installed. And I learned that when my speedometer shows 120 km/h, the car actually goes 113 km/h :D

First test drives suggest that it works perfectly fine. It's a lot quicker than most of the built-in stuff I know from Audis, BMW's and Mercedes and also easier and more intuitive to use.

Got myself some orientation:

81RkwU00zjL._SL1500_.jpg

17979890876_df00e424be_o.jpg

And a case to keep it in when not needed:

91gZj-y8WYL._SL1500_.jpg

Got it for 129 Euros. When you consider that an in-car sat nav easily costs ten times that much, it's really a bargain. Especially when you have map updates for free and such nice gimmicks as a speed camera warner installed. And I learned that when my speedometer shows 120 km/h, the car actually goes 113 km/h :D

First test drives suggest that it works perfectly fine. It's a lot quicker than most of the built-in stuff I know from Audis, BMW's and Mercedes and also easier and more intuitive to use.

Do you not have a smartphone or something?

Yes I do.. In a protective leather case, so it cannot get damaged or get scratched. It's in my pocket when I drive. Any more questions? :)

Is Berlin the start or end of the journey? :D

Is it a bad keyboard ? I love the sound, I just need to get used to it after 14 years with my previous keyboard.

No, it was a reference to the pun in my post.

Do you not have a smartphone or something?

I use my phone for navigation as well, but multitasking between music and navigation (and the occasional phonecall) becomes a pain in the ass pretty quickly. I don't use navigation more than maybe a handful of times a year, but if I used it on a regular basis I would have a separate unit for sure.

I use navigation almost every day depending on the job I'm going to. I stopped using s standalone GPS purely because of it being an extra device that now has to be looked after and regularly updated. The best thing about navi apps is the fact that you don't have to worry about outdated maps or routing algorithms. It's constantly improved. The only problem I had is when I leave the GPS voice on while I'm on a phone call. Other than, it's seamless.

To each their own I guess.

The GPS in my phone is utter crap. I drove my new car (with built-in nav) through the neighborhood in which my phone got me lost last week, and it performed flawlessly.

I forgot to post!

I got a cable and stand so I can chat to GTA v online people's! It might be ridiculously overkill.

Short boom stand from ProLine and the cable is a SoundTech LightSnake USB to XLR.

I already had the mic laying around, it's a Sennheiser E838 I bought a few years ago used.

Is Berlin the start or end of the journey? :D

Depends on whether you are in a T-34 tank ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I do.. In a protective leather case, so it cannot get damaged or get scratched. It's in my pocket when I drive. Any more questions? :)

Did you know they can work as a navigation system? :p

- - - Updated - - -

The GPS in my phone is utter crap. I drove my new car (with built-in nav) through the neighborhood in which my phone got me lost last week, and it performed flawlessly.

You have terrible luck with phone navi for some reason, considering mine seems to work quite a bit better than the Pioneer I got even in Manhattan.

- - - Updated - - -

I use my phone for navigation as well, but multitasking between music and navigation (and the occasional phonecall) becomes a pain in the ass pretty quickly. I don't use navigation more than maybe a handful of times a year, but if I used it on a regular basis I would have a separate unit for sure.

I actually think it would be more annoying to have a separate unit, the way I use mine is that I have a BT adaptor on my head unit and I usually play music through the phone so when I'm using navigation it lowers the music and gives me direction, then resumes music.