The "New Toys" Thread

jJyNNQ5.png

After sitting in customs for five days, it is here :) And the weather is glorious... time to go and play!

Awesome, so jealous right now.

I keep telling myself it would be useless, I live less than 9 km from an airport so I wouldn't be able to fly it anywhere near my house, but I still want one goddammit! :shakefist:

It was discussed elsewhere, but it is a DJI Mavic Pro.

BTW, very nice.

Not sure if this was mentioned before - since I skipped a few pages - but just so some of our foreign brethren on here know, the highway speed limit in Texas (Especially on the highway) starts at 70 mph and can go all the way up to 85 depending on the road. So if you go over it by +1, you're still going 71 mph (114.2 kph) - 86 mph (138.4 kph).

Around Washington, DC area (AKA Mid-Atlantic area), we get 55 mph (88.5 kph) - 65 mph (104.6 kph) , so when you go +1-+10 over, the penalty / fine isn't as bad BUT if you go +20 mph (+25 mph in some areas) over the posted limit, they will slap you with a 'reckless driving' charge instead of / in addition to (depending upon jurisdiction and your luck) to the speeding charge - which as it sounds, is MUCH worse than just a regular speeding ticket and includes a mandatory date with the local traffic court.

Last edited:
Well... connecting the phone to the remote was a bit weird. I still don't know why it doesn't want to work the way I want it to. It's now doing firmware updates...

Anyway, it comes with a very short cable that works, but not very well with my phone, since it basically needs a USB port on the bottom of the phone. My sony has it on the side however, so I wanted to use the additional USB port and a regular cable, but that just doesn't want to connect at all for some reason. Might go and try a different cable or something... need to try some other stuff. I'll try and report back once I've actually got it in the air :D It's currently blowing air around in an effort not to overheat during update :p

edit: the remote does seem to have a cooling fan as well - very weird.
edit2: IT FLIES! because I'm a huge idiot I just started it inside my tiny room :p Very stable, during the whole starting and landing process it moved about maybe 5 cm or so (to the side). Anyway, changing the cable fixed all my issues :) Wohoo... Nice, I feel like a little kid, so it's already sort of done its job!
edit3: and because I'm an idiot, I'm gonna go drive out to some nearby lake with some friends for some bbq and using the good weather. I'll probably dunk it straight into the lake.

Last edited:
My newest toy is my latest laptop (I've already modded it!):

Asus GL 502 VS
i7 6700
15.6" IPS 1080p with G-sync (only up to 60hz though)
Nvidia GTX 1070 8gb
32gb DDR4 2133 (16gb stock)
512gb m.2 PCIE / AHCI SSD Samsung 951 - (was the 256gb version, stock)
1tb Micron M600 2.5" SSD (was a 1tb HD stock)

This was to replace my old tank, Alienware 18. Much smaller and seems faster in every way too.

I keep telling myself it would be useless, I live less than 9 km from an airport so I wouldn't be able to fly it anywhere near my house, but I still want one goddammit! :shakefist:

Is Canada really that restrictive in this regard? Here in Germany, there used to be a full ban on model flying within CTR zones, but it was lifted this summer. Model aircraft and drones can now fly within CTR zones up to 2km from an airport (any closer is still off-limits), and up to 100m AGL.

Wohoo... Nice, I feel like a little kid, so it's already sort of done its job!

Yep, that's exactly what it's supposed to do. Now go out and have fun :D

Is Canada really that restrictive in this regard? Here in Germany, there used to be a full ban on model flying within CTR zones, but it was lifted this summer. Model aircraft and drones can now fly within CTR zones up to 2km from an airport (any closer is still off-limits), and up to 100m AGL.

Don?t fly:
  • closer than nine km (five nm) from any aerodrome (i.e. airport, heliport, helipad or seaplane base, etc.)
  • higher than 90 metres (300 feet) above the ground
  • closer than 150 metres (500 feet) from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles
    in populated areas or near large groups of people, including sporting events, concerts, festivals, and firework shows
  • near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets, or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers
  • within restricted and controlled airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, and forest fires
  • anywhere you may interfere with first responders

^ wow, that kind of ruleset makes the thing completely useless.

Not so much because it can't be flown anywhere but because can't shoot video of anything remotely interesting with it.

Yep, that's exactly what it's supposed to do. Now go out and have fun :D

UGH! Actually went to a nearby lake with a few friends, decided to have a little fly around there... NOPE! We actually went to the lakefront property that belongs to the local university, but guess what, I got a total of 5 minutes or so of flying in until the janitor / caretaker guy came running to tell me drones were absolutely forbidden there because there had been complaints. After that we had to eat, then it was dark, so poop.

I am however just now debating with myself whether I should go out tonight still...

Not so much because it can't be flown anywhere but because can't shoot video of anything remotely interesting with it.

Well, there don't have to be large groups of people or cars or anything in the shots for them to be interesting to be honest... you can always find some fun stuff to film / shoot. Also, especially at the beginning, just zipping around with that thing is quite a lot of fun :)

Last edited:
Good/worthwhile use cases I've seen for aerial videography which are outright illegal based on those rules:
- Events (private or public)
- Natural wonders (pretty often populated in places where I would go to shoot video)
- Accident/disaster zones
- Architecture and city vistas (populated and near people of course)
- Bird's eye views of places which I only see in human's perspective or in photos (requires drone altitude of far more than 90m)

But yeah, I'm sure there are at least some topics that are possible to shoot legally... maybe.

In gaming terms we call this "nerfed... no wait, nuked from orbit"

I can't tell because there doens't seem to be a list but are you joining the Gear.fi meet? There will always be BMWs in ditches to shoot video of.

Personally I can think of quite a few places to film, I'm still tempted to get a GoPro drone.

Officially started Black Friday deal shopping for my new/next PC.

First up: MSI 1070 Gaming 8GB. https://jet.com/product/MSI-GeForce...raphics-Card/7d4fd29d095c44c682fc0797f287dbba

After 5% cash back by purchasing through a "deals" pass-through mobile app, $10 new customer discount, discount for opting out of free returns, $50 off promotional discount, 1% debit card discount, $20 mail-in rebate and free shipping, it'll be about $306.00...assuming I don't get charged sales tax, which I don't think I do.

So, I don't actually game very much....but I figure the 8GB will help with the CAD designing that both of us do, both 2D complete buildings and soon more 3D. I also may be acquiring a Vive or Rift. I was originally planning just a 1060 (at most, since the only modern game I want to play is Doom at 1980x1200, is possible), but this price on the 1070 seemed like a good deal.

I'll likely be pairing it with a i5 6600K and an AOI cooler to overclock to about 4.4-4.5. I assume it'll just be 16GB ram unless I can find a rippin' deal on a 32gb set.

Last edited:
UGH! Actually went to a nearby lake with a few friends, decided to have a little fly around there... NOPE! We actually went to the lakefront property that belongs to the local university, but guess what, I got a total of 5 minutes or so of flying in until the janitor / caretaker guy came running to tell me drones were absolutely forbidden there because there had been complaints. After that we had to eat, then it was dark, so poop.

I am however just now debating with myself whether I should go out tonight still...

Well, there don't have to be large groups of people or cars or anything in the shots for them to be interesting to be honest... you can always find some fun stuff to film / shoot. Also, especially at the beginning, just zipping around with that thing is quite a lot of fun :)

So, is it still alive :p ?

Any footage?

Going for a red, white and black theme.

512GB
Samsung950ProCar_678x452.jpg

32GB
51eXgXt4weL._SL300_.jpg