The "New Toys" Thread

oculus-rift-sale.jpg

Me: "Oh, cool. VR finally became more affordable. Might even consider it myself."

Gaming media: "VR not selling! OCULUS SLASHES PRICES! VR IS DEAD! Why was VR a failure?"

Edit: seriously though, there's no killer app for me yet, Elite is not it. Maybe when Skyrim VR is out for PC. Also teleporting is lame and levitating around with a thumbstick feels bad. Hopefully we figure out VR movement mechanics soon.

Last edited:
I bet the reason for the price cut is that the next gen will be out next year sometime.

I know people who bought in early and now have equipment that is useless. Also to many different standards and makers for my taste.

I bet the reason for the price cut is that the next gen will be out next year sometime.

Yeah and also Oculus/Facebook always said (going way back) that they will lower the price as the manufacturing cost goes down.

Facebook is looking to profit from VR with software (and possibly accessories), not the HMD.

(...) Also teleporting is lame and levitating around with a thumbstick feels bad. Hopefully we figure out VR movement mechanics soon.

Almost every game that does not have the player sit down in some sort of cockpit is just weird to watch... Either the person stands still on a platform and shoots at stuff, or they teleport around the world.

unless you have a tilting seat to simulate the sensations of turning, seeing acceleration, especially changes in direction, but not feeling it can be incredibly disorienting/nausiating for a huge number of people. Myself included. This is why most mass market games/experiences have you sit in one spot and pivot, or teleport to move.

I've sat in VR driving simulators before, and it worked great because the seat tilted to simulate the centripital forces... but when i try to watch a POV video of a car driving, in a stationary (or even swiveling) seat... I'm "car sick" from the first turn... and i never get motion sickness anywhere else.

Last edited:
After using my old 3D printer for a while, I finally decided that it's too small and that I need some extra bits that it didn't have... so I went and built myself a new one:

2zVFNQp.jpg

It's an Anet A6, and it cost me a total ~45? after selling off the small one - I call that a win :) 220x200mm print bed (vs 80x80mm), heated bed, auto bed leveling (saves a hell of a lot of effort), and capability to print more various filaments that I couldn't before (not enough hotend power and no heated bed for proper adhesion).

If anyone needs anything printed in time for the Ringmeet, let me know :p

unless you have a tilting seat to simulate the sensations of turning, seeing acceleration, especially changes in direction, but not feeling it can be incredibly disorienting/nausiating for a huge number of people. Myself included. This is why most mass market games/experiences have you sit in one spot and pivot, or teleport to move.

I've sat in VR driving simulators before, and it worked great because the seat tilted to simulate the centripital forces... but when i try to watch a POV video of a car driving, in a stationary (or even swiveling) seat... I'm "car sick" from the first turn... and i never get motion sickness anywhere else.

One thing I found, is that some games by default have the car move around you while driving. For example, if you drive uphill, you are looking at the dashboard and have to tilt your head up. I guess this is to combat motion sickness, but for me it made it way worse. Much more natural to have the horizon and landscape "move" around your car.

If you stay within VR's current limitations, it really is very cool. There's nothing else like it. But there are many things it can't yet do. So far the only game that's kept me attached long-term is Elite Dangerous, but I played that game before I had VR. Still, I now found it difficult to play without using VR.

I am thoroughly enjoying Robo Recall and Superhot. I'll get around to trying pCARS at some point if I can be arsed to get the wheel from wherever I've put it. I do want to play Elite Dangerous and Eve Valkyrie, but I kind of want to wait until I can justify buying a HOTAS to go with it. Also, despite the drop in picture quality, I like the virtual theater sometimes.

I ended up rebuilding my computer, and shoved it inside a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, stuck a Noctua NH-D15S on it, and bunged some Corsair ML120 fans in. Result? A computer that no longer sounds like a wind tunnel. (THE SILENCE IS BEAUTIFUL.) Slight annoyance, though. Turns out, aside from the CPU fan headers, only one fan header has a programmable fan curve on it, so I just ordered this to fix that...

Hy5rOLk.jpg

Last edited:
I am thoroughly enjoying Robo Recall and Superhot. I'll get around to trying pCARS at some point if I can be arsed to get the wheel from wherever I've put it. I do want to play Elite Dangerous and Eve Valkyrie, but I kind of want to wait until I can justify buying a HOTAS to go with it. Also, despite the drop in picture quality, I like the virtual theater sometimes.

I think Project Cars is the most fleshed-out VR driving game so far, though Asetto Corsa beats it in graphics and physics. Robo Recall is the best shooting game I've found by a mile and it came with the touch controllers.

xk6hX7U.png

Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold Fully Modular PSU

Old PSU somehow didnt survive the move, got something better than what i had in terms of efficiency and modularity, replaces a Mushkin bronze 800w integrated PSU that was overkill for my setup but came with the case as a combo, this fits me way better in terms of actual power draw and cable management.

I'm still puzzled by these fully modular PSUs - why are the 24-Pin and the 8-Pin ATX cables modular as well? I get partly modular PSUs since today with M.2 and PCIe SSDs you can actually have a PC without the need for attaching a drive at all, but a PC doesn't work at all without those cables so you have to attach those anyway... :dunno:

Last edited:
There's some use cases where you want to power a device, but not the motherboard, I suppose. Very rare, though, you wouldn't encounter that inside a standard PC build. I got a semi modular one for my PC too.

Then again... there are some motherboards that require a lot more power to be sent to the CPU. Some even have more than one CPU socket, etc. Possible reason?

Dual CPU boards usually have a 24-Pin ATX plus two 8-Pin ATX connections so that particular PSU which has just one 8-Pin ATX cable isn't able to power one of these. There are even fully modular 400W PSUs which clearly aren't able to power a dual CPU board. It's just a gimmick so the owner can say "I have a fully modular PSU"...

Pretty much, yes.

Then again, can you even get a non fully modular PSU if you plan on running several graphics cards and require around 1000W of power?

At a german price comparison page you can filter by semi modular/fully modular and there are 19 PSUs at 1000+W which are semi modular. The majority of 1000+W PSUs are fully modular though. Still don't see the point. :p

Getting custom sleeved cables, but don't want to have to get "extensions" and then still have to use the included and sometimes-too-long cables that then have to be jammed in somewhere, or may still be visible in a case with glass on both sides? Fully modular PSU to the rescue.

I got an extension for the 24 pin cable and it's just fine. Cheaper than the full cable.

aYPo1sz.jpg