The "New Toys" Thread

Oh, for sure. If I would have planned ahead, though, I would have just gotten a proper cord of the right length. As it is, with the extension, it's too cramped with everything that had to fit in the basement. Sometime this fall I'm going to pull it all back out again, and probably take out some things from the basement and put them *on* the top of the power supply shroud. My side panel is bulging.

I'm still puzzled by these fully modular PSUs - why are the 24-Pin and the 8-Pin ATX cables modular as well? I get partly modular PSUs since today with M.2 and PCIe SSDs you can actually have a PC without the need for attaching a drive at all, but a PC doesn't work at all without those cables so you have to attach those anyway... :dunno:

It's just overall good to have cables detachable. (Ease of installation, replacement, upgradeability...)

And from the other perspective; on an otherwise modular PSU having 2 cable sets permanently attached doesn't benefit anyone.

Not every minor feature deserves to be called a "gimmick".

I'm still puzzled by these fully modular PSUs - why are the 24-Pin and the 8-Pin ATX cables modular as well? (...)

Fully modular means that you can swap out the PSU for a similar model without touching *any* of the cables. Especially the 24 Pin and 8 Pin mainboard connectors can be a pain because you usually route those first so they are now behind all the other cables in your system.

It's generally good practice to never reuse power supply cables. Different companies orient their wire colors differently.

That is why you would only use a PS from the same manufacturer.

I would still be worried. Many power supplies are made buy another company and just branded Corsair, Cooler Master, etc. Corsair power supplies are made by at least 3 different manufactures.

That is why you would need to confirm compatibility. But as long as it is the same model, or a higher watt model from the same line, it should be okay.

The Corsair CX is made by two different manufacturers. The HX-650 is made by one manufacturer, and the HX-750 is made by another. The OCZ Fatal1ty line is made by THREE different manufactures, just based on the wattage.

Too many minefields for me.

Don't buy a Corsair PS?

That is why Corsair has customer support.

The Corsair CX is made by two different manufacturers. The HX-650 is made by one manufacturer, and the HX-750 is made by another. The OCZ Fatal1ty line is made by THREE different manufactures, just based on the wattage.

Too many minefields for me.

It's not hard to find out who makes them - and most of the Corsair contract makers are top rank anyway.

I'm pretty sure Corsair will make sure that their cable pinouts are identical throughout the entire product range. Changing a manufacturer can lead to trouble, though. I know first hand silverstone uses different wires for different voltages, but the same shape pinout...

Yeah, if the arguement for fully modular is that it's easier when swapping, I would say that it's only easier in one specific instance: like for like, for example in the case of a warranty replacement.

Anything else, you're asking for trouble without having to do extra research. At least in Corsair's case it does look like they stay consistent within a single product line even if they have two different manufacturers making them...

...except not always. The HX line, for example, has one type of 24-pin for the platinum rated, and a different one for the Gold. The TX-M uses a different PCIe cable for the Gold than they do for the Bronze.

I feel like it's like walking across a bridge where there is a waiting line to cross, or skipping the line to walk across that same bridge on the railing. Sure, the destination is the same, and you might get there quicker with the 2nd way and if you have all your safety bases covered and you've done your research on that bridge, you could absolutely be fine...but it just doesn't seem worth it *to me*.

Now...all that being said, that's all just in response to the reasoning to defend a fully-modular because it's 'easier' to leave cables in place.

I actually *bought* a fully modular, because I knew i was going to add sleeved extensions and didn't want to deal with having to manage the extra slack in an already-tight case with a glass side panel.

Last edited:
I understand why you are cautious about this, and I encourage caution. For most people, this is not a problem until they update and need that extra cable and find two sets. Fortunately, mine have always come in a box or bag with the brand and model number on it.

But you should be able to tell when the cables won't swap with a bit of effort.

Btw, I consider a Gold series to be a different model from a Platinum.

I realized my earmuffs were bulky and not very effective, and since I want to get into indoor shooting again, bought those:

hAfKY5V.jpg

A lot of people who bought them on amazon got counterfeit ones, I guess they got them from a third party vendor. I got them from amazon.ca (sold by), and got the real thing :)

Also got 3 more usb-c cables, 6' this time (last time I got 3').

IqeWu2g.jpg

A mid-2014 iMac with 8 Jiggabytes of RAM and a 500 gig spinner and a 1.4Ghz dual core i5, best part is the price - free.
imac21_wmouse_mavericks_print-100314664-large.jpg

Why free? Nothing's free unless it's broken.

A friend didn't want hers anymore and just wanted it out to make space so didn't feel like dealing with selling it.

The "New Toys" Thread

The "New Toys" Thread

Thing is, I cannot believe that Apple supplied a machine such as fabulous as that with such an awful storage drive. Spinning platters, really? You can't tell me you couldn't have put a 128 or 250GB with a massive spinner for storage?

Furthermore, why haven't we made a software that makes it looks like you have both the boot drive and a storage drive appear as one drive but, make software store files only on the hard drive? And, if a boot drive breaks, make it so that you can mount the drive independently from each other. I know we have hybrid drives but, those aren't as fast as SSD but, quicker than HDD. I've done it so far with my machines. Games and other such items are stored on HDD's while the programs and OS are on the SSD. It's worked great but, you can't do such a setup with someone that's not so tech savvy and know for a fact that their files are on the "storage" drive. Problem with my idea is that we have RAID but, you can't really do that with SSD and HDD I believe.

Last edited:
Thing is, I cannot believe that Apple supplied a machine such as fabulous as that with such an awful storage drive.

I can. Not only Apple that does it either. Take a look at Best Buy the next time you go there. There are all kinds of PCs made that have terrible storage setups. Hell, even so called high end machines cheap out in that department.