The "New Toys" Thread

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pid
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3, 90 Discovery 1, 05 Smart Roadster
So I, um, stopped by the Apple store on my way home from work today. I need to stop doing this.
If a global pandemic isn't going to stop you, I've got bad news I'm afraid. :p

If they released the damn things in black I'd probably buy them, I know they're tiny but I just hate the bright white.

leviathan

Snores like a puppy
DONOR
Car(s)
MX-5 NC, Model 3
I got them as a work headset. Got rid of my original AirPods a week later. I found the originals more comfortable, but the sound quality in Pros is better, microphone is much better, and ANC is of course awesome.

Ideally I'd need a pair of ear tips for them that's between the S and M sizes. For me, the M size fits well and isolates perfectly, ANC is really good with them - but they get painfully uncomfortable after ~15-20 min or so. The S size I can wear for hours, but it doesn't hold in perfectly and requires a correcting "push" every once in a while, and ANC definitely lets in a lot more noise - even though the built-in "fit test" says they should be fine. Anyone any recommendations for third-party tips to look at maybe?..

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pid
DONOR
Car(s)
Adam Savage has been using them for his live videos since the lockdown started, the sound has been impressive despite being massively compressed for YT.

I have a ton of spare tips for Sony headsets as they're all interchangeable, can't comment on the Apple ones but you would hope that they're a standard size.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
I haven’t bothered with the standard Airpods since they’re a copy of the wired version, which won’t stay in my ear for more than a second before they fall out. I need the rubber tip.

The AirPods Pro *feel* like they’re going to fall out, but I haven’t managed to shake one loose yet which is a very good sign.

They sound excellent, too. I don’t think my cheap Sennheiser ANC cans will see much use going forward.

Momentum57

worships the 2010 Prius like a god
Car(s)
It's A HONDA! Clarity Plug In Electric
I haven’t bothered with the standard Airpods since they’re a copy of the wired version, which won’t stay in my ear for more than a second before they fall out. I need the rubber tip.

The AirPods Pro *feel* like they’re going to fall out, but I haven’t managed to shake one loose yet which is a very good sign.

They sound excellent, too. I don’t think my cheap Sennheiser ANC cans will see much use going forward.
I like the Pro rubber tips version one of AirPods were meh

Sennheisers "are you listening" tagline is kinda scary

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
If a global pandemic isn't going to stop you, I've got bad news I'm afraid. :p
The UK is 80% the size of Finland, but you have roughly 12 times the population. :p There's nothing stopping me from going about my day like usual, except that I've had lunch out of a styrofoam takeout box in the breakroom for the past month or so. Sometimes living in a sparsely populated country has its advantages.

I can't effing wait to go to the pub again, though.

If they released the damn things in black I'd probably buy them, I know they're tiny but I just hate the bright white.
If you feel like spending the premium, ColorWare will sell you AirPods Pro in basically any color you feel like.

1589475616991.png

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pid
DONOR
Car(s)
Yeah that's quite a premium, impressive though that they're able to paint so many items. I wonder how they do it, they can't be taking these things apart surely.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pid
DONOR
Car(s)
I saw Elgato's new 4K60 capture device, watched review videos that picked up issues and through a process of escalation I ended up buying something more advanced:

IMG_5214.jpg

I made a video to show off what it can do and talk about why I got it.