The "New Toys" Thread

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
Car(s)
06 XTerra, '00 VFR800, '11 Multistrada, Yamaha R6
So when it's sold again? :p
That's not very likely, the plan is to eventually replace the Xterra with something that will be less off-road focused so the Jeep can take over the technical trails.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
Ordered a VIOFO A129 Pro Duo in the Prime day sale, with a significant discount. Although I can't put a camera in the back window of the Mazda I went for the duo anyway, I have other ideas and knowing myself I may change cars before the camera becomes obsolete. I'm still using my first dashcam from 2015/16.

1657717395580.png

I also got a call from the camera supplier I placed an additional Z9 order with at the end of May to say I had one allocated, that's a month and a half to get my name on one compared to a 6 and a half month wait from my original supplier without hearing a dicky bird. The system is broken but I'll exploit this once. Should arrive in the store next week where I can pay for it and then have it delivered to me.

It's exciting and while the long wait has worn me down, having issues with my D7000 last week (low light noise, card corruption, battery grip errors) increased my want to replace it.

Blind_Io

Car(s)
In installed a dual camera system on my mom's 4Runner - which is a challenge since the rear window rolls down. I fabricated an aluminum tab that I attached to the roof with one of the headliner press-fasteners, then attached the camera to that. Now the camera can see out the back and the window can be rolled down without a problem.

I wonder if something similar might be an option for you? Just attach the camera to the fixed part of the roof facing backwards or mount it lower on the body just poking up to the rear window?

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
That's definitely a possibility, I could mount it behind the wind deflector or attach it to one of the roll hoops as people have done with GoPros. 3D printing something shouldn't be too hard. Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually thought about using it as an in-car camera, I've been experimenting with a GoPro on a mount between the seats and the results have been OK but need work. GoPros are just so unreliable, at least the ones I've had are. The secondary camera on the A129 is only 1080P though, I might be OK with that or might hate it.

Blind_Io

Car(s)
You could even mount it above the rearview mirror, see out the back and get some in-car coverage at the same time while drastically simplifying installation and cable routing.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
After just over 8 months since I made the first order, my Nikon Z9 finally turned up today. This wasn't from the original pre-order, I got wind that making an order in a store of the big chains would get me a camera sooner than waiting for an online order from the same company. Made an order at the end of May and got it today, which is messed up but there's nothing I can do about it. The way they're splitting up stock just makes no sense.

Anyway it's here and it's every bit as nice as it should be, I've missed many of the chances I would get to use it this year but I'll definitely be taking the 200-500mm lens out for some wildlife shots when the weather cools down a bit.

Tram

Ring, ring!
I might've accidentally a 2014 Mac mini off of eBay. It was actually an auction, I submitted my first bid while drunk, nobody submitted any bids afterwards. So I ended up, more-or-less accidentally, buying a Mac mini.

Not my first Mac, and I've been using Macs at uni, but it will take a bit of getting used to. The first impressions are: damn this thing is tiny and silent! Not something I can say about my 'gaming'/workstation Xeon rig with a blower-style GTX 1080 in it. Speaking of the workstation, it will stay for uni purposes, but this will also be hooked up to the same monitor whenever I don't need the power.

I do need to source a keyboard for this, though. While I could theoretically use my Model M with an adapter and some key remapping software, I'd rather get something that has the same layout as the Mac keyboards at my uni (which are all A1243 Apple wired aluminum keyboards). Too bad Apple's keyboards hold their value so good, even when they are prone to failure. While I know I could use just any USB keyboard, I'd prefer something that has a Mac layout.

leviathan

Snores like a puppy
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
There are Mac layouts from other manufacturers, most popular keyboards have a Mac variant. Should be easy enough to find one by Logitech, Cherry or some other usual suspect.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
Yep nobody got fired for buying Logitech. Well, not unless it's a really snooty company. Their Mac keyboards look very nice, they aren't necessarily cheap either but I believe that you get what you pay for.