The "New Toys" Thread

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Unless your screen is already taking up a huge portion of your view, ambient lighting illuminates too many distracting things around the TV. If a TV is big enough in your field of view, where the non-TV things in your peripheral are already a little out of focus, it human actually have a great effect on immersion. But I just think it looks cool, either way. Ha! Not sure I'd put it in my living room, but for sure in a "cave" or special home theater room.

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
Unless your screen is already taking up a huge portion of your view, ambient lighting illuminates too many distracting things around the TV.
Oh this is important for sure! It sorta requires you to keep the wall around your tv free from distractions, otherwise it won’t work.

Also the cave thing… I have some plans for the basement :woot:

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
Speaking of Hue, I've had automated lighting at home for a long time now. It's become a no-brainer just like having a robot vacuum. My bedstand light comes on with the alarm in the morning, along with most of the rest of the flat. When I get back to the bedroom 20 minutes later to put some clothes etc on, some more lights have come on so I can see.

I invested in the IKEA system and it works flawlessly except for the occasional light that needs to be rebooted. I don't use the IKEA app though, I run everything via HomeKit.

leviathan

Snores like a puppy
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
I'm doing the same thing in the new apartment, (almost) all lights are Ikea Tradfri, controlled with HomeAssistant and Zigbee2MQTT. Works nicely so far. I also use their switches (the Tradfri on/off switch, and the Styrbar) with 3D-printed wall mounts. Original switches are locked out in the "on" position, but can be used as a backup should something fail - all lights are set to turn on after power failure, so they can also be controlled with the "dumb" switches just fine.

HA allows to do some neat stuff, like shifting light color temperature at sunrise/sunset, controlling brightness depending on time of day, or using bedroom lights as "sunrise alarm" coupled with my phone alarm.