The "New Toys" Thread

If the SF450 is anything like the Corsair platinum PSUs I use then it should be great. They're very quiet.

It's clearly not an issue for you but someone on Reddit had a similar Silverstone case and one of the power connectors for the SATA backplane had been fitted upside-down! I sometimes wonder why they're still using Molex (when else would you be using Molex in a modern PC?) but there isn't much of an equivalent. SATA power on a connector like that would be too vulnerable and would likely break off.

Can you help me in using the power of thought to bring the SSD prices down, so I can get another 8TB Samsung at a decent price?

- Level 2: external 8TB HDD that will stay plugged into the NAS, normally fully powered down via a smart power plug, only turned on and mounted automatically for weekly backups of Level 1 data, and then unmounted and turned back off.
What happens in case of a fire? In that case the offline backup is likely gone as well...

I know, that's unlikely, but that's what backups are for: events that are unlikely. For a proper backup such a second level should be stored at least outside of the room where the primary data is, ideally outside of the same fire zone. Yes, you have to physically carry the external HDD to and from that storage, but you should ask yourself if you can live without that data if there is a fire.

What happens in case of a fire? In that case the offline backup is likely gone as well...

I know, that's unlikely, but that's what backups are for: events that are unlikely. For a proper backup such a second level should be stored at least outside of the room where the primary data is, ideally outside of the same fire zone. Yes, you have to physically carry the external HDD to and from that storage, but you should ask yourself if you can live without that data if there is a fire.
Absolutely, I actually started with off-site backups and only more recently moved to an on-site 'easy access' backup that I can reach for if it all goes wrong.

Valid point. I was thinking of also adding a 3rd level backup to S3 Glacier, Backblaze or some similar low-cost online storage. May skip the external HDD altogether tbh, feels like it doesn't add very much to the in-chassis "Level 1" HDDs.

You have a spare SATA port, so I would recommend a SATA/eSATA trayless dock so you can just use cheaper HDDs and then store them in cases wherever you want. Can you configure the ports for hot swap?

You can get SATA to eSATA adapters with rear I/O plates very cheaply, it's how I did my SSD dock.

A few former colleagues from NL have asked me whether I'd be open and willing to work freelance for them a bit. And because my employer said yes (had to...) and I have a day a week free anyway, I went sure why not I'd love to get back to some work in emobility. Also those dutchies always were a fun bunch :)

sooo... why not use the excuse and at least pad the taxes for that job a little bit at least... macbook pro 14" it is. yeees. i thought about the m3 air... but the prices are so damn close together at this point that I'd much rather have the better display of the pro. so yes. hm. let's see what the faff is all about.

The beQuiet! PSU is... not that quiet.
If the SF450 is anything like the Corsair platinum PSUs I use then it should be great. They're very quiet.

Replaced the beQuiet! PSU with a Corsair SF450 Gold, came in today.

Downsides:
- while the cables are modular, they are much stiffer and some of them shorter than the beQuiet ones. 24-pin ATX barely reached to the far corner of the absolutely massive mini-ITX mainboard. But I made it work.

Upsides:
- modular cables allowed a couple of them to stay in the box, so less clutter overall in the case (no PCI-E devices here, only one SATA and one Molex 12V wire needed)
- it's silent. So far the system failed to reach the 90W power threshold or any of the temperature triggers for the fan to come on, even under pretty high load, so the fan isn't moving and the whole thing makes no sound whatsoever. Perfect.

Also measured the overall power draw. Not sure how accurate my (very cheap) watt-meter is, but it indicates 15W-ish at idle and peaks of up to 30W at high load (with both CPU and SSD loaded up with doing stuff). This is a bit higher at idle than I hoped for, but still perfectly acceptable, and most importantly below the total draw of the old 2-bay Qnap NAS + Raspberry Pi that ran the Docker stuff. So I'm quite happy with the setup.

I got an electric snow foam gun after seeing it being tested on a channel called 'Cars with Keav', a cheapy one from Amazon that has a rechargeable battery inside. The diagram is brilliant.

1710710306737.png

Here's a quick demo of mine:

View: https://youtu.be/EvmFYjPUPCw
And the video from Keav:

View: https://youtu.be/fgmnjsscf1o
The Makita cordless pressure washer isn't suited to foam guns, it doesn't have a huge amount of pressure and also takes water from a tank, so having a completely separate foam gun is better. The foam I'm using is Auto Glym Polar Blast, it calls for a 5:1 ratio but on the recommendation of that video I started with a 10:1 and as I was using the mixture up I would keep topping the bottle up with water. I didn't notice the foam getting any worse while I was doing that, it was still really thick and rich.

Brilliant for wheels and inside wheel arches, it'll do a whole car but it might take a while.

With the 3 nubs on the bottom of the bottle it's not super stable, so I 3D printed a base for it.

I should get something like that for the winter, when I can't wash cars at home.

Also, that seems like a heavy mix. With the Bilt hamber foam I'm using the ratio with the portable foamer is more 50:1. :huh:

Also, that seems like a heavy mix. With the Bilt hamber foam I'm using the ratio with the portable foamer is more 50:1. :huh:
It is, this stuff probably isn't very concentrated though. From the Auto Glym website:

Polar Blast can be used at various dilutions depending on the density of foam desired. A good starting point is 100ml product to 500ml water in your foaming bottle. Adjust foam gun settings as required to increase or reduce foam.

IMG_3719.jpeg

To monitor the actual consumption of our heat pump. Yes I could try and fiddle the actual heat pump controller into home assistant… but honestly I can’t be bothered. This is easier and cheaper. Also it comes with an Ethernet port, which is nice.

Related: how do we like to say in Germany? “Ein Mal mit Profis arbeiten…”. The guy who put in the pv system also included a relay to tell the heat pump about solar excess. Basically the relay just closes a dry contract as soon as a defined threshold of feed-in to the grid is exceeded. Only they put a 24V relay when the inverter only supplies 12V. Yeah. So that didn’t work. Spent all of 10€ on a different one. Ugh.

It all began with me looking at radio scanners, to be able to listen to marine traffic and the like. From there it went to looking at handheld marine VHF radios because talking is fun too. I just signed up for a VHF certification course because I happened to come across one. So I guess I’ll have to buy that damn radio now. Sigh. 😅

It all began with me looking at radio scanners, to be able to listen to marine traffic and the like. From there it went to looking at handheld marine VHF radios because talking is fun too. I just signed up for a VHF certification course because I happened to come across one. So I guess I’ll have to buy that damn radio now. Sigh. 😅
I've only ever had a vague interest in this, but the mention of a marine radio just takes me back to the one my grandad used to have. Just a basic handheld unit and I don't think it ever picked anything up, but it's a time and place thing.

Anyway, I bought a Makpac trolley to move the water tank around. With an eBay voucher it was cheap, it'll handle 125kg so I can use it for the Makita tank or strap on a bigger 100L tank if I want. Council tree surgeons covered my dad's car with sawdust yesterday, handy to have the cordless washer so we could just blast it all off.

You mean there is makpac stuff out there that isn't made by the same kind of plastic you find between layers of chocolate? Whoa.
And there's more traffic on the marine channels when you're out on the water.

You mean there is makpac stuff out there that isn't made by the same kind of plastic you find between layers of chocolate? Whoa.
Yeah the trolley is made of aluminumium, so it's apparently nice and strong. We will see, it was cheap. There are ways to improve the Makpac experience, I watched this video specifically for the trolleys at the end but I did the latch mod myself quite a while ago and it makes a difference. You may find Jon irritating, sorry about that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Spb_a2pkkM
And there's more traffic on the marine channels when you're out on the water.
Makes sense, I like about as far from the sea as possible (in the UK) so now I think about it I don't know why he had a marine radio...

Last edited:
Makes sense, I like about as far from the sea as possible so now I think about it I don't know why he had a marine radio...

Yeah for me it’s a five minute walk. It’s mostly a gadget for me but I like gadgets.

Like a sucker I bought the Makita trolley to transport my Makita tank. With an eBay discount and another coupon it was very cheap for a trolley with a 125Kg capacity, honestly I could probably dismantle this for aluminium tubing and still be up on the deal. It's designed to carry Makpacs, but also the tank which has a slot moulded into the bottom to accept a sticking-up bit on trolley. :neutral:

It also comes with a neat strap and if I get a bigger 100L tank I could transport it on this.

<type type clickety click type click>
<credit card comes out>
<email chime, order confirmation lands in inbox>

854764006bbb1bbb6.jpg

My first electric toothbrush since the Snoopy electric toothbrush set I had as a kid. This one is currently on sale for $40 down from $50. I always tended to rush brushing, and also scrub too hard. This 4100 series has a timer feature, as well as a pressure sensor to notify you with a little vibration notification if you're brushing too hard. The 3100 is the lowest tier that has that feature, but it's not on sale, so it's actually currently $5 more than the 4100 which also has a more advanced system (apparently).

One nice feature is that when you first start using it, the first 14 times, it creeps up the intensity a bit. It doesn't start you full-blast the first time you use it which, now that I've been using it for about a week, would seem pretty intense if it started out like this.

There are 3 timer alerts, so you break your mouth into 4 sections, like inner bottom, outer bottom, inner top, outer top, and you get a little handle buzz when it's time to switch. I've gotten pretty good at being able to mentally time that notification, to the fraction of a second many times.

My medicine cabinet has an interior USB power, so I can put the charging base in the cabinet and charge the toothbrush there every 2 weeks or so, keeping the counter clear of the charger and cable.

The first-party replacement heads are fuck-off pricing, so after this included one needs replacing, I've got a knock-off set from Amazon in the wings to try out.

Some reviews complain about the gap between the body and the brush, and how it collects gunk. After over 2 weeks of use, there's not a spec of anything in there. I have to wonder if people are brushing with their mouth open, letting stuff just flow out and down the handle, or maybe they are using too much toothpaste or adding water to it. I plan to remove the head and wipe it down each time I need to charge it, so it'll be about every 2 weeks, which seems like plenty.

So far I'm pretty happy with it, though the handles does "rattle" a bit when you're not wrapping your whole hand around it to deaden the vibrating...but I have no idea if the higher end models or other brands have a similar issue because, like I said, I haven't used one since the 80s, and that one was shaped like a dog.

1711491052898.png