The "New Toys" Thread

My Dyson V8 Ultimate could suck-start a Lada, until the battery decided last week it would rather be a turnip. It was just flat one day and wouldn't take a charge. The battery was way too undersized anyway, couldn't even get through a car on a single charge. So now I did what I should have done long ago and ordered a Makita stick vac, the top of the range one with cyclone.

My Dyson V8 Ultimate could suck-start a Lada, until the battery decided last week it would rather be a turnip. It was just flat one day and wouldn't take a charge. The battery was way too undersized anyway, couldn't even get through a car on a single charge. So now I did what I should have done long ago and ordered a Makita stick vac, the top of the range one with cyclone.

Did you ever look into an adaptor to let you use makita batteries with the Dyson?

Maybe I shouldn't say but I've had an adapter saved in my Amazon basket for over a year, that will allow me to use a Makita battery with my Dyson V6. The damn thing refuses to die though.

1716277618802.png

Not sure how trustworthy these things actually are, probably good enough to keep an old vacuum going.

The charge-monitoring circuitry in the Dyson battery packs eventually causes them to go out of balance because the monitoring system only runs off one cell and continues to operate after it's done charging, even when it's still plugged in. This eventually causes the pack to not work, or at least severely reduces its capacity. It's a bad design or done by design, who knows. Either way, a new Dyson battery pack runs $120.

Buy the $25 adapter for the power tool brand of your choice (they're all available on Amazon) and Bob's your uncle. Opens you up to much higher capacity battery packs too.

Just ordered this stick vac from directtoolsoutlet.com , the outlet store for the TTI brands. Our 13" Ryobi 18v lawnmower was from here, and despite being "reconditioned", it looked good as new and has performed flawlessly. Hoping to get that quality again.

I've watched reviews of it, and people have said that it sucked up a baby sock without issue, so it seems like it should be more than adequate for our use as more of a "dustbuster" use.

We have an upright plug-in vac, but really hate digging it out every time we have a few dust bunnies, or an insect up along the ceiling. Spending $50-80 on a shitty hand vac seems like such a waste, given our bad luck with several of them being low powered and hardly holding any charge. This 50% promo was what sealed the deal, though this vac sold out last week, but happened to see it back in stock today, the last day of the sale.

Shipping for me in CA was an additional $15.

One of my favorite parts is the fact that it's a Ryobi One+ 18v tool, and I already have 9 compatible batteries.

My one wish was that the brush had some sort of self-clearing technology, since we both have long hair. The roller is super easy to remove for easy cleaning, so the lack of that feature wasn't a deal-breaker.

View attachment 3572590

Whelp, it arrived on Sunday, with the side of the box kinda blown out making a gap that I think the "extension wand" slipped out:
1716935204563.png

It was packed pretty shitty, without any additional internal packing material other than the pieces of the vac, the battery, and charger themselves. I didn't actually realize this came with a battery, so that was a nice suprise. It is listed in the "Included:" list, but wasn't in the photos so I assumed it wouldn't come with one. It isn't an HP battery, but still...a 4.0ah battery, even a refurbished one, would be at LEAST $50, so that was a nice surprise.

DTO didn't have any more vacuums to send out as a replacement if i were to send thi sone back, so now I'm waiting for Ryobi to send out a replacement part directly, in a couple of weeks. Thankfully it's still got the warranty since DTO is the official Ryobi outlet, so it will be sent for free. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they can actually get the part, though. It seems so new that a lot of info is still missing on their website. For example, when I go to the "parts" page of their website and enter my model number, there are no results.

But at least we can start using it as a hand vac now that we know we won't have to send it back (becuse we had to register it to file the warranty claim). Seems pretty strong, though the shape of the handle is a little weird. You have to hold it from the very end like you're holding a hand saw, because there are buttons on the top that you can accidentally push. So it's almost always a 2-handed operation, but it kinda feels a bit like this so it has its pros and cons 😅:
1716935751484.png

Since my current home server is a Dell R310 with a Xeon L3426 (hardware that is about to turn 15 years old, in a not very efficient chassis), it was high time for some upgrades. So, to the internets I took for inspiration on what to upgrade it with. My shopping list was fairly short:
  • Low power usage
  • Minimum 32GB RAM
  • Support for at least 4 SATA HDDs
  • At least 4c/8t
  • Budget of 800 eur
Sadly, the second one meant all of the low power Intel platforms were out, somehow Intel doesn't do >16GB on their affordable low power platforms, and the low power platforms that do, will break my budget. Looked a bit further on the internet and found an interesting article from a guy who got a 7W power usage on Intel 12th gen platform. I think I can settle for double or triple that, but damn, #goals... So, platform was locked in, 12th gen i3 or i5, rest of the server TBD.

Then a friend of mine sold 5x 6TB WD Red, which I snagged. Then, when I had the rest of my budget I started looking at the classifieds on the Dutch tech website I frequent, and found a guy just across the border selling a Fractal Define 7 for a paltry 75 eur. And another guy was selling an i5 12400 with motherboard, 32GB DDR5 RAM, and a cooler, for less than what a cheaper tier motherboard with 32GB DDR4 would cost me. Both were instantly snagged. A 550W PSU, 1TB Lexar NVMe drive and a Chinesium ASM1166 M.2 to 6x SATA card were quickly procured as well.

IMG_0810.jpegcamphoto_684387517.jpegcamphoto_342241519.jpegcamphoto_1144747756.jpegcamphoto_832100416.jpeg

Last edited:
Chinesium ASM1166 M.2 to 6x SATA card
were they drunk when they numbered the SATA ports? :p

apart from that: never in my life would I have ever guessed that hardware for a home server... first guess would always be, like leviathan, some N100 based solution or similar. but as you say, 16 GB and all that. meh.

I oopsied my way into two unifi U7 pro - so I now actually have step by step acquired everything to actually switch over my home network and wifi from the stupid fritz piece of crap...

were they drunk when they numbered the SATA ports? :p
That was my first thought as well... Ah well, Drives are still wired up to ports 0-4.
apart from that: never in my life would I have ever guessed that hardware for a home server... first guess would always be, like leviathan, some N100 based solution or similar. but as you say, 16 GB and all that. meh.
It was not my first choice either, but after reading the article, I was kinda set on 12th gen Core, and this set was too good a deal to skip. In the end I just hasd to disable all of the "GAMING" stuff in the BIOS and enable all the C states for the CPU. Still kinda on the fence whether to stick with the current Intel boxed cooler, or fitting the 120mm AiO wich was part of the set I acquired. Wanted to fit that initially, but the seller forgot to pack the S1700 mounting hardware, so that's coming on Monday.
I oopsied my way into two unifi U7 pro - so I now actually have step by step acquired everything to actually switch over my home network and wifi from the stupid fritz piece of crap...
Getting rid of Fritz is always a good thing. Did the same two months ago, never been happier. Just need a slightly less old Mikrotik to replace my current REALLY old RB2011 one (And new server is a good reason to get one with 2.5gE anyway)

Getting rid of Fritz is always a good thing.
Yeah... I don't quite get how they're the standard equipment in German homes. My experience with their Wifi and Mesh repeater / AP stuff, even wired in, has been absolute crap. Routing issues, the AP steering is terrible, and the range / coverage is completely unacceptable as well. ugh.

I'll have to keep the bloody box, but I'll degrade it to just play modem, so I hope that won't mess with the unifi stuff too much. When, at some point, some time in the distant future, the bloody fibre connection I ordered in 09/2022 finally gets built here, that'll also get ditched... but until then...

120mm AiO
seems like overkill if you're also aiming for a sorta low power build, no? also the original author of the article would probably not approve, seeing as he even disabled the USB Keyboard to save like half a Watt or whatever :p

seems like overkill if you're also aiming for a sorta low power build, no? also the original author of the article would probably not approve, seeing as he even disabled the USB Keyboard to save like half a Watt or whatever :p
Dutch postal services being the utter failure that they are, the mounting hardware didn't arrive until Tuesday. And since I was planning on adding an exhaust casefan there anyway, I proceeded to install the AiO there. Idle temps have gone down by 5 degrees. I call that a win. And it's even quieter now.

Sadly it turned out that the two drives my friend thought might be broken turned out to be very broken indeed, so the server is now up and running with three instead of the planned 4 or 5 6TB drives in there. Luckily I ended up going with Unraid as the server OS, so I can quite easily add more drives to the array as I go along.

Finally got my quansheng UV-K5 (8) after several weeks. Amazing what you get for pockey money these days.

Finally got my quansheng UV-K5 (8) after several weeks. Amazing what you get for pockey money these days.
Without looking that up I knew that would be a handheld radio, from the days of the trusty Baofeng UV-5R and UV-B5. Things have moved on quite a lot since those though!

That connector always reminds me of cheap airline headphones.
1718189067585.png

Whelp, it arrived on Sunday, with the side of the box kinda blown out making a gap that I think the "extension wand" slipped out:
View attachment 3572627
It was packed pretty shitty, without any additional internal packing material other than the pieces of the vac, the battery, and charger themselves. I didn't actually realize this came with a battery, so that was a nice suprise. It is listed in the "Included:" list, but wasn't in the photos so I assumed it wouldn't come with one. It isn't an HP battery, but still...a 4.0ah battery, even a refurbished one, would be at LEAST $50, so that was a nice surprise.

DTO didn't have any more vacuums to send out as a replacement if i were to send thi sone back, so now I'm waiting for Ryobi to send out a replacement part directly, in a couple of weeks. Thankfully it's still got the warranty since DTO is the official Ryobi outlet, so it will be sent for free. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they can actually get the part, though. It seems so new that a lot of info is still missing on their website. For example, when I go to the "parts" page of their website and enter my model number, there are no results.

But at least we can start using it as a hand vac now that we know we won't have to send it back (becuse we had to register it to file the warranty claim). Seems pretty strong, though the shape of the handle is a little weird. You have to hold it from the very end like you're holding a hand saw, because there are buttons on the top that you can accidentally push. So it's almost always a 2-handed operation, but it kinda feels a bit like this so it has its pros and cons 😅:
View attachment 3572628

I didn't hear back from Ryobi since they said the replacement for the missing part was supposed to ship, so I called them today. It turns out this missing part is on back order until mid-october.

So despite it being over a 2hr phone call (spensing the first 1hr 30min on hold before speaking with anyone), without any real pushing from my end, they are sending a whole brand new unit (as a reminder, mine was purchased as a refurbished item) by the end of the week. And when I asked if I should hang on to the packing and shipping materials to ship it back, they just said, "Nah, just go ahead and dispose if it." But it's perfectly functional as a large hand-vac.

So I made out like a bandit in this deal, I think, even if the one they send doesn't come with a battery and charger.