The "New Toys" Thread

Looks like $199 after rebate :)

I have really bad luck about getting rebates though. A lot of times they just never get here :(

same here, rebate always manages to fuck me over for some reason. I still have like $150 of rebate that needs to come through.

anyway

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0048+1068310557&Description=8800GT&name=512MB

All the 8800GT are pretty cheap now, you can pick them up for around $170 ~ $180, some with rebate, some just damn cheap. Most of them are going for $200 with like $20~30 rebate.

DSC00270.jpg

Eagle 8800GT with HeatPipe. Someone please explain whats better about heatpipes
DSC00272.jpg

Samsung 2232BW. Beautiful Monitor, although I should have gotten a 226bw probably
DSC00269.jpg

The inside of my comp.

Quick specs
Intel E8400
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
2GB RAM
Eagle 8800GT
Sound Blaster Audigy of some sort
WD 500GB
Samsung 40GB
Seagate 120GB
Antec Sonata III
Samsung 2232BW

I love my PC.:)

Wish my drives fit in like that. It makes it a pain in the ass when my vid card is right up against the back of my drives, basically makes it so I have to take apart my whole computer to get a drive out. :lol:

Damn, everything's so cheap in America!

I've been wanting to get my hands on a zune for quiet a while, but so far haven't found anyone who's going off to americaland. I wonder if anyone stocks them here in Australia...

I found shipping to be cheap via local post from the US. My Zune + a box of accessories came to $40 (though DONT get insurance <_< and il let you know on reliability :cry: )

^ Isn't there import taxes for Bahrain? I guess not since if I recall it's a free trade zone?

Every damn thing is so much cheaper in the US even though our dollars are on par. You'd think being in North America you could avoid paying the stupid premiums by buying online from US retailers, but that way Canada Customs will most often send a nice fat invoice your way, usually charging more import tax than our local sales tax.

lulz, IDE FTL.

Someone please explain whats better about heatpipes

I'll give it a shot.

A heatpipe is a metal tube filled with a liquid at lower than atmospheric pressure. When heated at one end, the liquid evaporates there, and travels to the colder end of the heatpipe, to condensate back to a liquid there, effectively transporting the heat from the hot end to the cold end of the heatpipe. Heatpipes are better because a properly cooled heatpipe is better ate transporting the heat away from the heat-source than just a normal heatsink. They were first used in laptops in the late 90s, to transfer heat from the processor to a heat sink somewhere else in the laptop to keep the laptop as thin as possible while still providing adequate cooling. With the space-heater capabilities of certain processor series (something like putting two 90W TDP cores on 1 chip), they also made their way into main stream cooling of modern PCs, where silence was golden and processors churned out more than 100W of heat.

Garmin nuvi 250 wide, shot on a bit of foam left over from one of the camera bags I'm modifying :) It's a neat little device. For instance: love how it zooms inn close on the map as you come close to a junction/exit, and zooms out to give a wider view of the area when there are no exits for a while. And how the screen changed colour at night, so it doesn't disturb you while driving. Money well spent.

garmin250w.jpg

^ Isn't there import taxes for Bahrain? I guess not since if I recall it's a free trade zone?

Every damn thing is so much cheaper in the US even though our dollars are on par. You'd think being in North America you could avoid paying the stupid premiums by buying online from US retailers, but that way Canada Customs will most often send a nice fat invoice your way, usually charging more import tax than our local sales tax.

No, since person to person mail isn't taxed, and electronics aren't claimed/taxed here much. Plus i didn't incur any US online taxes since the person buying it owns a tech shop, so he wrote it off as a business expense :D :D

lulz, IDE FTL.

:lol:

Last edited:
Hmm. I'm currently looking for something to replace my awesome iRiver H320 as 20GB isn't enough space for my music collection, and I'm quite interested in the Zune 80 but no one sells it in Australia. I don't want an iPod classic after all the bugs that it sill has.

I wonder if a HD swap for the H320 is viable...

I had two 30GB Zens, one the Zen Xtra, one the Zen Vision, and my sis just got the 8GB Zen.

The only problem i ever had with Zens is their annoying PC software, but using the general media explorer, which uses windows explorer as a base, works fine. The features on most models are quite nice as well. If you want a really good Zen, get the Zen vision: M, 30 or 60 GB, it has a huge amount of features, and it has (i'm told) better video playback than ipods. The headphones aren't of the best build, i'm on my third set.

Anything else?

(price might vary from here to where you're buying from, but i found them comparable to Apples and in some cases cheaper for more)

Thanks, i'll have a look around for the vision.
Headphones are always crap, I have my own (decent) set for that.

DTMRacer my Zune came today! that makes it 7 days from original ship date for $40 and in total considering the Zune can be bought for around 140(as seen in previous posts) from US, you pay almost $200 if you want one. That doesn't sound bad to me... and shipping isn't that bad, i had a bad experience cos of the uselessness of USPS at one part.

Where did you order your zune from???

America, they don't have the 80 in the middle east as yet.

Piczorz!
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2008/04/14/DSC00652.jpg

The engraving i liked even though it looked like the only option on the site, the others were just too weird. On the top it says 'Zune' in 8 bit binary (yes i know, GEEK!)
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2008/04/14/DSC00657.jpg

I love how it looks so similar to my phone, like they're related :lol:
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2008/04/14/DSC00655.jpg

And i got the FM Transmitter for the car, the RGB Video plug for when we travel, and the universal wall charger since i hate usb charging and i don't keep the PC on that long at a time.

Last edited:
It looks awesome! :thumbsup: Good to see the Zunes are spreading. I had the same thing with not really liking most of the engravings and it wasn't worth it to me paying more and waiting longer when I could just drive 10 minutes and get one. So I did. I hope you have fun with it!