The "New Toys" Thread

yeah, if only LFS had the graphic quality of grid lol. grid's a fun game once i get used to it and put my sim-racing expectations in the closet. GTA IV's nice, but I hate having to be constantly moving dvds around, so i'm waiting for a modified exe (nodvd) to be released before i continue further in the game

hrm, I'm kinda the opposite aswell.
My point & click (Olympus I think) does everything well if you leave it in auto.

I have a lot of memories that have been ruined by bad point-n-shoots especially Sony -- grainy, out of focus, etc. I can look at a blurry picture and I can tell it was taken by a Sony (between the blur and the color push). Heck even my point-n-shoot mid-range Nikon screws up more often than it gets it right.

Just got a 22" Visio 1080P HDTV for gaming in my Den (XBox 360) and also HDTV viewing.

It's hard to find 1080p sets in smaller sizes.

0085738000186_L4.jpg

hrm, I'm kinda the opposite aswell.
My point & click (Olympus I think) does everything well if you leave it in auto. I imagine if you want to quickly focus on something happening (like a whale jumping out of the water) you don't have 15 minutes to get the SLR, get the right lens, set it up all correctly and by the time you've done all that you're back home already.

I do admit that the SLR > anything else in quality and possibilities, but for "everyday" pictures, point & click FTMFW

:lol: That's really funny. SLR's are built for speed. Instant powerup, near-instant focus, near-zero shutter lag, faster and more precise zoom, the list goes on. P&S's are meant to be cheap and portable, not fast.

I read this forum frequently but hardly ever post here, especially to this thread but this time I had to post because next week I finally get my own DSLR. It's a Canon EOS 450D (XSi) with the Kit lens 18-55mm. I've used one of those before and like it a lot :thumbsup: . One day the kit lens will be replaced though with a better one but first I'll buy some friends to it (telezoom and so on).

0512_canon-eos-450d.jpg

:lol: That's really funny. SLR's are built for speed. Instant powerup, near-instant focus, near-zero shutter lag, faster and more precise zoom, the list goes on. P&S's are meant to be cheap and portable, not fast.
With the possibility of not having the right lens on, NooDle does have a point though.

That's about it though. Otherwise, I am certain every SLR guy will make better spontaneous photos than a point-and-shoot user.

With the possibility of not having the right lens on, NooDle does have a point though.

That's about it though. Otherwise, I am certain every SLR guy will make better spontaneous photos than a point-and-shoot user.

Not gonna really need a whole lotta lenses to shoot whales. ;)

I really hate how long P&S cameras take to focus on something. Even the 21 year old SLR I got from my mom can focus faster, and that was when AF on an SLR was new.

I really hate how long P&S cameras take to focus on something. Even the 21 year old SLR I got from my mom can focus faster, and that was when AF on an SLR was new.

I know, it's the single most annoying thing about non-SLR's. And there's nothing that can be done about it atm, no mirror -> no quick focusing. SLR's in live-view mode also focus slower as they have to rely on contrast detection.

^ Both fantastic games... GRID looks epic in HD. Honestly... I love blasting down the Mulsanne Straight in a Koenigsegg or something for 2 minutes just looking at the scenery fly past.

I love GRID. However, did anyone notice the frame rates drop at night at lemans?

The one with the built-in modem is just hitting the shops, but it is around 100? more than the standard one..