The "New Toys" Thread

Overheat said:
zenon said:
MXM said:
http://img98.echo.cx/img98/3599/toys5zj.jpg
:D

Haven't unpacked it yet. I know it's nothing crazy-fast, but quite an upgrade from my current one.
One quick question related to your toys there: I'm looking at getting either the ASUS A8N-E or A8N-SLI right now. I will never use SLI as I could really care less about PC games, but are there other features on the SLI that are worth the extra cost?

I will most likely be using a 3000+ AMD chip and 1024MB of Corsair PC3200 Dual Channel RAM. I haven't decided on a video card yet, but it may end up being a 6600GT as well.

Anyone have any thoughts?

That seems like a rather powerful specced PC considering you dont care for gaming. You really ought to buy something less powerful and save some money tbh
I think you're forgetting my interests: I'm an artist, so this computer is going to be a 3D animation, video editing, Photoshopping and audio editing work horse. If anytying the 3000+ is a budget choice for what I will be doing with this computer.

Anyways, anyone have any thoughts on the A8N-E and A8N-SLI?

I can't find the A8N-E on Asus site. Are you sure it isn't A8V-E?

zenon said:
Overheat said:
zenon said:
MXM said:

Haven't unpacked it yet. I know it's nothing crazy-fast, but quite an upgrade from my current one.
One quick question related to your toys there: I'm looking at getting either the ASUS A8N-E or A8N-SLI right now. I will never use SLI as I could really care less about PC games, but are there other features on the SLI that are worth the extra cost?

I will most likely be using a 3000+ AMD chip and 1024MB of Corsair PC3200 Dual Channel RAM. I haven't decided on a video card yet, but it may end up being a 6600GT as well.

That seems like a rather powerful specced PC considering you dont care for gaming. You really ought to buy something less powerful and save some money tbh
I think you're forgetting my interests: I'm an artist, so this computer is going to be a 3D animation, video editing, Photoshopping and audio editing work horse. If anytying the 3000+ is a budget choice for what I will be doing with this computer.

I'd probably look towards dual processors for that sort of work tbh - the new Athlon 64 X2s look amazing. 6600GT is also definately the right choice, though I'm not sure you would need them in SLI unless you're really desperate/rich. The Dual Core and 64bit processing will give your work a major boost though, providing the software is up to the task.

Overheat said:
zenon said:
Overheat said:
zenon said:
MXM said:

I'd probably look towards dual processors for that sort of work tbh - the new Athlon 64 X2s look amazing. 6600GT is also definately the right choice, though I'm not sure you would need them in SLI unless you're really desperate/rich. The Dual Core and 64bit processing will give your work a major boost though, providing the software is up to the task.
A dual processor system is way out of my budget.

Remember, I'm looking at a 3000+ and a 6600GT... if I were able to afford a dual processor system I wouldn't be looking at relatively budget components in the first place. Ideally this system will be between $1000-$1500 CAD.

I've already said I have no interest in the SLI capabilities of the A8N-SLI. I have just been trying to figure out if the few extra features on the A8N-SLI that aren't included with the A8N-E are worth the extra cost.

This started as a simple question but I'm starting to think I should have just strated a thread. :roll: :p

Seeing how you need all the power, you're going to upgrade soon if you get a 6600GT, that's why SLI is pretty good. I don't know how it performs in graphics intensive applications, but the concept works great for games. An SLI motherboard costs $50 extra, give or take. Down the line, you can get another 6600GT (which will be dirt cheap), and you should get a pretty big boost in performance.

zenon said:
Overheat said:
zenon said:
Overheat said:
zenon said:
MXM said:

A dual processor system is way out of my budget.

Remember, I'm looking at a 3000+ and a 6600GT... if I were able to afford a dual processor system I wouldn't be looking at relatively budget components in the first place. Ideally this system will be between $1000-$1500 CAD.

I've already said I have no interest in the SLI capabilities of the A8N-SLI. I have just been trying to figure out if the few extra features on the A8N-SLI that aren't included with the A8N-E are worth the extra cost.

This started as a simple question but I'm starting to think I should have just strated a thread. :roll: :p
He's talking about AMD's Dual Core processor, not about a Dual Processor setup. Really interesting stuff imho, especcialy since you can use it on regular motherboards (like the A8N-E or A8N-SLI).

And btw you dont need a SLI motherboard when you'll never use SLI ;)

This is what I ordered yesterday:

OCZ Value Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory - Retail
20-227-037-01.JPG

It may not seem all that impressive, but it's overkill for what I'm putting it into: an Athlon XP 1700+ 266MHz FSB computer I built a year and a half ago which is going to be an overclocking testbed. Later this summer I want to swap out the GF2 MX in there with a 9800pro (I have an extra one that has overheating problems) and test out a watercooling setup! :thumbsup:

^What Kip said. The processor runs at a 133MHz FSB normally (DDR266), and the highest the mobo will POST at is 150MHz, which I should be able to up to 166MHz (DDR333) once in windows. The theoretical maximum of the FSB on this motherboard is 200MHz, but I doubt I'll be able to run that, hence the value RAM. No point in CAS 2 DDR400 when the highest it will be going is DDR333. :)

2405fpw.gif

I ordered this thingie a couple of weeks ago. It should arrive soon (hope next week). It's a Dell 24 inch widescreen TFT monitor with a stunning resolution of 1920*1200 (HDTV capable). I'am really looking forward to it :).
It costed me about 900 euros (which is quite insane as that is about one third of my annual income, crap), but it is cheaper than the shop-price as I bought it with some buying action (buying together with others to get lower price)
But still, those Americans get it much cheaper and the delivery time is only a couple of days... I wonder why Dell still considers Europe as some retarded continent.

CyberMonkey said:
2405fpw.gif

I ordered this thingie a couple of weeks ago. It should arrive soon (hope next week). It's a Dell 24 inch widescreen TFT monitor with a stunning resolution of 1920*1200 (HDTV capable). I'am really looking forward to it :).
It costed me about 900 euros (which is quite insane as that is about one third of my annual income, crap), but it is cheaper than the shop-price as I bought it with some buying action (buying together with others to get lower price)
But still, those Americans get it much cheaper and the delivery time is only a couple of days... I wonder why Dell still considers Europe as some retarded continent.

Actually, nowadays it's cheaper in Belgium (whole Europe actually) when you buy something from the US, due to the Dollar vs Euro.

Yes indeed, but it has to be transported (takes some time, has a risk, costs money), and you have to be lucky for your package to pass the border police unnoticed, and that doesn't seem very likely to me with a box of that size.
If they catch it, you have to pay vat and import taxes and all kind of stuff, so I wouldn't really like doing so.

CyberMonkey said:
Yes indeed, but it has to be transported (takes some time, has a risk, costs money), and you have to be lucky for your package to pass the border police unnoticed, and that doesn't seem very likely to me with a box of that size.
If they catch it, you have to pay vat and import taxes and all kind of stuff, so I wouldn't really like doing so.

Oh, you're talking about buying something in the us and ship it to Belgium? I go to germany to buy my stuff. The prices are cheaper there than in B.
But you have to agree that the prices lately are really low in Europe. When I buy something and I check the prices, I'm always stunned that people from the us have to pay so much.

Did I really miss this thread?

Well, my newest toy is the SE D750i...
In case you wonder: The D version is the T-mobile version of the K750i.

I really can forgive it the mellow branding, since I read it is built better... Should I post pics? Its all over the Inet anyway...
Next week my newest toy will be a 1 Gig Pro Duo Memory Stick for it... ;-)

Buba

i got a alluiminium laptop cooler =D post pics soon. it wasn 1/2 the price of a cool master one and it works really well.

funny thing is that it sucks hot air away from the laptop. i would have though it blow cold are from my room on to the laptop.

can someone tell me why it was more pratical for what they did?